Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times

Advertisements

So, when we moved to Colorado 2 years ago we looked around for a bank (or old one only was in Texas) and somehow decided on Wells Fargo. When we went in we told them that we run about $5K-$6K through the checking account per month, write most of our checks online, occassionnally need cashiers checks and normally keep about $10K or so in the account. We said we will NOT pay for checks or cashiers checks and did they have anything that suited us.

Anyway the lady said that it sounded like we wanted an XYZ account (don't recall the name) and as long as we had 3 services with them everything would be free. So we did the checking, Visa debit (never been used) ATM (maybe that's the Visa debit???) and a money market account IIRC.

I hate this stupid bank. Every time I want to deposit a check and do a cash back they tell me to swipe my card and enter my password, WHICH NEVER WORKS I guess because it's been so long since I used it that it's dropped my password. Last month my wife ordered deposit slips and they charged us for them, DEPOSIT SLIPS, WTF?

Anyway now we need checks and my wife says they'll charge us for them too. I told her NFW, time to go, no location is that convenient. At least check out the bank that has one branch next to our grocery store and another right on the way to the library, these are the two places we go the most.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
I'm with Wells too. I think they all suck.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM

Until now we had never banked with a "big" bank. I got hosed by AmEx when they ran the military (on-base) banks in Europe in the '70s and I swore I'd never have one of their cards or use a big bank. Until now I've stuck to it but my wife, who does almost all the banking wanted Wells because of their locations. But she's had it with them too.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM

122 posts, read 210,944 times
try 1st bank

Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM

434 posts, read 848,822 times
First National is a big, little bank. Big enough to have several locations around town. Small enough to get personalized service and small enough so that my business seems to matter. Been with them 10 years and have been happy all the while.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Find a Credit Union

Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Weirdly enough I went into the WF website and sent them an email, and received a polite answer within a few hours. Turns out our checks are free (so it may be Mrs golfgod's error thinking they were going to charge us) but that deposit slips aren't. IMO that makes no sense at all.

Anyway, the lady wrote that she was crediting us back for the money charged for the deposit slips and thanks for our continued patroage.

I ordered the checks, 150, which may last us 5 or more years as my wife has really increased the one she writes online.

Nice to get a prompt, polite and affirmative response from a CSR. So many people complain about those departments. Not saying WF has me for life, but I'm not leaving soon.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
First Bank. They have branches in Loveland and Ft. Collins. I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
So, when we moved to Colorado 2 years ago we looked around for a bank (or old one only was in Texas) and somehow decided on Wells Fargo. When we went in we told them that we run about $5K-$6K through the checking account per month, write most of our checks online, occassionnally need cashiers checks and normally keep about $10K or so in the account. We said we will NOT pay for checks or cashiers checks and did they have anything that suited us.

Anyway the lady said that it sounded like we wanted an XYZ account (don't recall the name) and as long as we had 3 services with them everything would be free. So we did the checking, Visa debit (never been used) ATM (maybe that's the Visa debit???) and a money market account IIRC.

I hate this stupid bank. Every time I want to deposit a check and do a cash back they tell me to swipe my card and enter my password, WHICH NEVER WORKS I guess because it's been so long since I used it that it's dropped my password. Last month my wife ordered deposit slips and they charged us for them, DEPOSIT SLIPS, WTF?

Anyway now we need checks and my wife says they'll charge us for them too. I told her NFW, time to go, no location is that convenient. At least check out the bank that has one branch next to our grocery store and another right on the way to the library, these are the two places we go the most.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
I dropped them a few years ago. I used them up here in Montana, just didn't care for them. I won't go into my situation, but I too ran into some hidden, sneaky fees. It was an odyssey trying to get my account closed too. First I had to wait for all my checks to clear (ok fine), but then everytime I'd go in, the right person who was able to take care of closing accounts wouldn't be there, etc... So dumb. Finally got the darn account closed and went with a smaller, more local bank. My bank is part of a small chain - it's only local in Montana and Wyoming. I'm moving soon and sad to leave it. I've really liked their service. Just very no frills, easy to get business done. Better vibe all-around. In fact a few months ago, I saw an ad in the paper stating they were voted one of top banks in the region, or something like that. Doesn't surprise me at all. They've been good to me. I would recommend a good reputable local credit union or good local bank that's been around for years and has a good rep. Ask around at work and other places about which ones are good. As long as they offer a VISA debit card you can use in any part of the country, that's good enough for me.

But I'm now reluctant to go with the big national ones like Wells Fargo. And I'll never deal with Bank Of America, after the stories I've heard about them.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
If you live in Fort Collins, check out the Addison Avenue Credit Union, formerly known as the HP credit union. They have branches located at the HP / Agilent buildings in Fort Collins and Loveland. You no longer have to work for HP or Agilent -- membership is open to pretty much anyone.

I mention them because they offer a checking account with possibly the best interest rate I've ever seen -- plus a minimum of fees and fuss. About the only downside is limited number of branches, but I've found that if there's one in your town it's enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area