Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM

76 posts, read 418,980 times

Advertisements

I am interested in Loveland area. How is the general traffic out there? Is there a push for more home development out there currently?

Looking at the satellite map, it looks like a lot of traffic could botch up near Loveland Lake? What other main streets in the city get high traffic? I want to relocate to a community where I don't have to sit in traffic all day.

Any recommendations on general locations/new home developments with street address helpful.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,429,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindromed View Post
I am interested in Loveland area. How is the general traffic out there? Is there a push for more home development out there currently?

Looking at the satellite map, it looks like a lot of traffic could botch up near Loveland Lake? What other main streets in the city get high traffic? I want to relocate to a community where I don't have to sit in traffic all day.

Any recommendations on general locations/new home developments with street address helpful.

Thank you
I drive into Loveland every day to work from Longmont. As my job is at the northern end of the city I go nearly all the way up Hwy 287 to get there and have to negotiate the old downtown, Hwy 34/Eisenhower Blvd, etc. At around 7:30am or 5pm it really isn't bad. Most of the traffic I see is south of the city going down to Longmont. 287 is a 2-3 lane road thro town in both directions and it seems the worst of the traffic hits a bit later than that. You can also use Taft Ave (CR-17) to go north/south. Hwy 34 going east to Centerra and I-25 has been bad due to construction this Summer but that is mostly finished; I'm not sure what it's been like going west. I find the worst of the traffic is actually going further north into Ft Collins and back down again.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 PM

423 posts, read 1,954,055 times
Stay away from I25 and the traffic is not too bad. Ft Collins traffic is a lot worse, especially when college starts up again. I have not had problems in Loveland for the most part. There is some road construction which always causes delays but otherwise pretty smooth sailing.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM

42 posts, read 246,781 times
Ya traffic from Loveland, all the way to Fort Collins is pretty bad, for Loveland it's especially around the new Centerra shopping center it has gotten worse over the last few months.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 AM

I live in the SF Bay Area where traffic is common. I want to get a sense of what you consider "bad".

For example, to drive from San Jose to Palo Alto (a 20 mile trip) would take 30 minutes in off hour traffic and about 45 minutes to an hour in rush hour traffic.

From Longmont to Fort Collins is about 18 miles. How long does it take you during off and on rush hour traffic?

How about Loveland to Fort Collins? And Fort Collins to Loveland?

For us out here in California, slow traffic is bumper to bumper, 15-25 mph movement in a 60 mph zone on the freeway. Is it the same out there?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindromed View Post
I live in the SF Bay Area where traffic is common. I want to get a sense of what you consider "bad".

For example, to drive from San Jose to Palo Alto (a 20 mile trip) would take 30 minutes in off hour traffic and about 45 minutes to an hour in rush hour traffic.

From Longmont to Fort Collins is about 18 miles. How long does it take you during off and on rush hour traffic?

How about Loveland to Fort Collins? And Fort Collins to Loveland?

For us out here in California, slow traffic is bumper to bumper, 15-25 mph movement in a 60 mph zone on the freeway. Is it the same out there?

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Longmont to Fort Collins is NOT 18 miles - it's more like 45 if you take I-25 and 30 miles if you take Hwy 287. Going via I-25 can take about 40 minutes and via Hwy 287 can take about 35-50 minutes depending on traffic, road construction, time of day, etc. I only go on I-25 if I'm going at the weekend and somewhere on the east or south side of Fort Collins as it can take half an hour just to get across the city. I-25 skirts along the eastern edge of the city whilst 287 goes right thro the centre. The worst part of going on 287 is the section between N Loveland and the centre of FC as College Avenue is packed with traffic all times of the day.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:43 AM

We do not really have the kind of traffic you are talking about. Traffic keeps moving pretty quickly and rarley does it slow way down to 15-25mph unless there is an accident. If you get up into Denver that is where you see that kind of traffic. From the McDonalds on the Interstate in Longmont to the Mulberry Exit in Ft Collins, mapquest estimates it at 30.01 miles. The further north you get towards Ft Collins on I25 the better the traffic gets. The worst spot being right around the I25/Hwy34 exchange. From Ft Collins to Loveland also depends on traffic and where you are going in the cities. There are several roads between the two. I can get to about anywhere between either city in about 20-30 minutes if the traffic is moving good.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM

I mean Longmont to Loveland.

Longmont to Fort Collins taking 40 minutes is quite a long trek - one of which I'd rather avoid. Having traveled Bay Area roads, that isn't worth it... I want a better quality of life!

Thirty minutes to get across the city of Fort Collins is too long - almost as bad as San Jose. I sense that the area is overly populated in density and that traffic is a problem for such a small city and it is only getting worse?

I34 in Loveland seems like a main artery into the city. Most houses are packed near Lake Loveland. How is that area in general? It looks to be upper middle class/upper class in nature. How bad is the traffic on that road to get to go from Lake Loveland to I25 in commute and off commute hours?

Last edited by Palindromed; 08-02-2007 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM

If you were going to the Longmont area I would not even take I25 from the Loveland lake area. Instead you could go down taft or Wilson through Berthoud. I am not sure how long the commute would be in traffic. Probably 20-30 minutes maybe? The are of Lake Loveland is in the heart of the city. Good neighborhood though.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
If you were going to the Longmont area I would not even take I25 from the Loveland lake area. Instead you could go down taft or Wilson through Berthoud. I am not sure how long the commute would be in traffic. Probably 20-30 minutes maybe? The are of Lake Loveland is in the heart of the city. Good neighborhood though.
Absolutely! If I'm over by that area I just stay on Taft all the way down to Berthoud and then join 287. Even with traffic lights and a single lane it still doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes to get to Berthoud in the rush hour. And then maybe another 15 minutes to the outskirts of Longmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area