U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Fort Collins at the end of this month to attend CSU in the fall. I'm selling my car before I move, and to save money, do not plan on buying one when I get there. How accessible are Denver and other surrounding areas to people who don't own a car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,529,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygoluckygal View Post
I'm going to be moving to Fort Collins at the end of this month to attend CSU in the fall. I'm selling my car before I move, and to save money, do not plan on buying one when I get there. How accessible are Denver and other surrounding areas to people who don't own a car.
Access to surrounding areas and neighboring cities without a car is not good. There's a relatively new bus service from Fort Collins to Longmont (and cities in between) called FLEX. I don't know much about it, but once in Longmont you can get access to the RTD system which would take you to Denver and Boulder. Other then that, there's Greyhound to Denver, or airport shuttles to DIA (with access to RTD). There is no public transit to the mountains.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM

85 posts, read 228,157 times
How often do you think you'll want to travel to Denver? You'll meet people at college that will have a car and will likely end up hitching a ride with them. If you plan on needing to travel outside FC a lot you could find yourself challenged. However, if you plan on spending most of the time at school and in the area - you'll be able to do a lot with a bike or your feet! And the public transit that is here of course.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,467,308 times
Heck no, you don't need a car...I don't see any compelling reason to have a car as a CSU student in Fort Collins....TONS of great bike infrastructure, bus system, and as someone said - there will be plenty of others with cars so there will be carpooling to Denver, which realistically you won't be doing as much as you think as a busy student

My sister went to CSU, lived off campus last 3 years and got by swimmingly w/out a car.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,086,092 times
Agree with the other posts here -- FC's public transit is middling at best, but where it really excels is in connectivity to CSU campus. If you live in the campus area, you will be fine without at car for your daily needs

Getting to Denver airport is easy enough -- there are a couple of private shuttle providers for that. Getting to Denver itself is going to be very difficult without a car -- taking FLEX to Longmont and RTD to Denver would take all day. Your best bet would be to rent a car from a local rental agency like Enterprise (if you are old enough). Or bum a ride from other student, as others have said. I think you'll find that there's little reason to go to Denver as most of your needs as a student are fulfillable right in Fort Collins itself.

The biggest loss will be not having the car to get to the mountains -- I think that's one reason why many people can't do without a car. But again, you can always hitch a ride with others.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:22 PM
'M'

1,841 posts, read 2,754,115 times
There is also Zipcar.com for short term car rentals, which is an alternative to the usual rental car agencies. Google it to read about their concept. The last Zipcar I noticed toodling around Fort Collins was a Toyota Prius with a Zipcar bumper sticker. Catching a ride with friends works the majority of the time, but once in a while, it's nice to rent a car for a half a day or a couple days.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 PM

95 posts, read 266,394 times
It'd be a pain to get to denver or boulder on public transit. And if you live in fort collins as long as your near one of the main streets there should be ample public transit, however biking might be faster depending on where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area