U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 03:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,889,835 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, does Greeley tend to get less snow than areas around it because of it's lower elevation? I had some family who lived in Parker for a while, and it seemed like they got more snow down on the south side of Denver than up north. Is that true? In general the south side seems to have a higher elevation, so I suppose that could contribute to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 12:01 AM

49 posts, read 284,247 times
Default Adding input about Greeley's snow

Since no one has yet responded to your question, I’ll tell you some snowfall-facts/opinions that I know about Greeley. Please keep in mind that Colorado is infamous for its rapidly changing weather conditions, and the same, for its weather/snowfall not being consistently the same from year to year.

Areas around Denver/near or in the Rocky Mountains, commonly/traditionally do receive significantly more snow than Greeley does, and because of more amounts of precipitation falling at these higher elevations, and also, because of more storms occurring on a regular basis in the higher elevated areas. Higher elevated areas, also, retain snow on the ground longer, (resulting in larger amounts of accumulated snow), because unlike the Greeley area, daytime temperatures there usually don't become high enough to cause pre-existing snow to melt.

I’m not sure what areas you’re actually referring to in your post when you wrote, “the areas around Greeley”, but the ones you spoke of, (Denver/Parker), they aren’t in Greeley’s surrounding area. Greeley’s local communities, (those of substance, anyway), are; Loveland and Ft. Collins, (both cities located on the foothills of the Rocky Mountains), Windsor, and stretching it a bit, Longmont, (south/near Denver). All these communities, past-recorded, yearly amounts of snowfall are very comparable/similar.
And, speaking only from my personal experience regarding snowfall in Greeley, (was the county seat for the area in which I resided in, for over 47 years). “No - Greeley hasn’t in the past , received as much snowfall as the areas you mentioned , &, Greeley isn’t in an area which gets lots of/significant amounts of, snowfall during any past-years’ snowy seasons, and, in the past, Greeley didn’t even get the larger amounts that other nearby communities did“.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:04 AM

What I meant by areas around Greeley was places like Ault, Windsor, Loveland, Johnstown, Severance. Nearby areas that are away from the Platte River.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 AM

49 posts, read 284,247 times
I lived in Ault for 18 of those 47 years, and Ault, along with the other communities you’ve mentioned, usually receives the exact same amount of snowfall as what occurs in Greeley.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:05 PM

What is the average yearly total for Greeley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area