Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 21,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowhatthouwilt View Post
I prefer Texas over Colorado. But couldn't take the heat. Can't wait to leave here (Fort Collins). Counting the days . . .

Too many reasons to list . . but have lived in both sates for a number of years. Fort Collins is like Mars if you ask me. Just plain weird. Isolated, cold, NO VIBE at all. Stepford town for sure.NO history, no culture. Pretty during summer . . . whoopee.

You know that feeling you get when watching the astronauts land in the "Planet of the Apes." It's like that. Like, "That is so weird! Get outta there!"

I have written elsewhere more specifically on my observations. Just know that you should visit for a while, be into the outdoors, have a good job lined up first if contemplating moving here--as it is like no where else. (Also, it would help if you have no affinity for beautiful architecture!!!)
Believe it or not I agree with you. I love old town Fort Collins, but the south side of Fort Collins definitely has the creepy "Stepford" vibe your talking about. I wouldn't have any problem with that except for the fact that ,in order to get a job, you almost have to commute to the south side of town.
I honestly saw worse traffic in the mountain town that I grew up in. you think harmony is bad, imagination only having 1 road that went north/south through the entire town. And at least there's a slight variation in speed from the left and right lanes going down harmony.
I really do not like the night life here. too many Bros and too hot to trot chicks roaming around after dark. But there is a lot of forward thinking people here, which I find to be one of the best things about Fort Collins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,006 times
I lived in F,C, for about 9 years 99 to 2007+/-. The college kidfs are the worst part, but over all it is a very nice low crime city. Like all cities with Colleges its a bit aggrevating. I loved Fort Collins, but renting is horrible. Having a home was nice. Traffic is rough but I'm from NYC and to me crime, traffic, and taxes are virtually non existant in F.C. It has been inffected with Liberalism. Luckily its surrounded br conservative communities that beat it back a little. Its no Boulder for sure. I worked armed patrol in Boulder. Boulder is horrible. Nice looking, but liberal tax and crime hell and has a university to boot.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 AM

42 posts, read 247,350 times
Yes FOCO is overrated. Grew up in CO, my parents are from FOCO, and spent a ton of time in the northern CO area (lived in Greeley). Over populated, traffic is horrible, and not much to do. If you're the outdoorsy type, than yeah, there's stuff to do. Otherwise there isn't much to do, downtown/old-town is ok, but its a lot of drunk people and other types of drama. Plus cost of living is high. I have friend that lives there, she always complains about the traffic and over population when the student are there. I have to agree with too many bros statement, a lot of grungy look dudes too, that seems to be the look there. The location of where FOCO is at isn't all that great, still an hour north of Denver, and the weather on I-25 during the winter can get pretty nasty. All in all, from the outside looking in, yeah FOCO looks nice. But once you've lived there or spent a significant amount of time there you'll realize it can get kinda old quick. Oh ya, and yes it can take you an hour to get across town. Especially during rush hour, and not to mention during the holidays.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Everyone is different and has different perceptions of town. I have lived here the better part of 40 years now and have a hard time imagining somewhere I'd rather live. I have left twice, living in mountain resort towns and a large western city, but coming back each time. As with anything, if you go in looking for the good, your experiences will be good. If you go in looking for the negative, your results will follow.

There will always be negatives wherever you go. If this place was perfect, everyone would move here and never leave. This in itself would make it less than perfect for some people.

For my situation and that of my family, we are never lacking in nearby activities in which we are interested, or places to go, though we occasionally (6-10 times a year) drive to Denver for something different. Delivering pizza in town during College helped me learn the town, and I can still get anywhere in town inside 30 minutes, no matter the time of day and despite living on the far west side of town (unless icy or blizzard conditions are in effect). I liked it before becoming a Realtor, so my motivation is not necessarily business related.

The many positive ratings the town receives are not based on the same criteria everyone uses to choose a great town, so not everyone will agree. To each his own.

We welcome anyone to come and try out living here. If it is a good fit, congrats. If not, I'm sure you will find somewhere that is perfect for you.

Have a great day!
Mike Weber

Old 10-21-2011, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Can you give some examples of the "awful traffic". Are we talking like "I had to go 35 in a 45 on Harmony"? Or "I missed one light cycle on Mulberry getting out to the highway"? When is traffic ever stop 'n go in the Fort? (and I would not count stopped traffic from a train).

I would agree that getting from one side of town to the other isn't super speedy, but there aren't really any highways in town, so what are you expecting. And how often do you really go from one side of town to the other. The west side of town can take a bit of time to get over to I-5, but that's kind of what you sign up for moving to the west side.
Traffic on Harmony is TERRIBLE. It gets pretty bad on Timberline as well past Horsetooth but Harmony has gotten extremely bad in the 5 years I have lived here.

Also I am guessing you meant I-25 since it would definitely take a great deal of time to get over to I-5

Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Yep, it's been a year and now I live by I-5, so the old Freudian slip.

I guess I always lived in the northern parts of town, and rarely went to Harmony. So I am definitely biased. I think most of the people that love FoCo on this Board are mainly thinking of everything North of Harmony. It's definitely a bit of a different city down there.

And by "TERRIBLE" you mean you were stuck in your car for 25 mins and only went half a mile?

Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 AM

40 posts, read 99,054 times
The guys that complain of traffic you should try being in or close to London. I think the perception of bad traffic is relevant. We have the 'worlds largest car park' here in England. It's called the M25, which is the orbital motorway/freeway that runs around London. During rush hour in London which happens twice a day six days a week, it takes about two hours to go just a few miles!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 AM

192 posts, read 470,867 times
Now we're comparing FC traffic to London? Two ENTIRELY different scenerios. FC only has 130k, thats what bothers people! If we were a major city, it would be expected.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
Now we're comparing FC traffic to London? Two ENTIRELY different scenerios. FC only has 130k, thats what bothers people! If we were a major city, it would be expected.
While I see your point, I agree only if we're assuming London is SUPERIOR to Fort Collins, because it being a "major city" doesn't lessen the effect of bad traffic on our individual lives. And I think it's safe to say one's preference between the two depends on their personality. To some:

Fort Collins = Better weather + better traffic = No contest

No matter what's "expected", because I expect traffic to be worse in FoCo than the small town I live in currently. It's still subjective. Just as you would if you moved to London, I'm sure I'll be able to downplay the importance of traffic when I move.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Also, population is not the best factor by which to excuse "bad traffic". Activity is. From that viewpoint, bad traffic is certainly to be expected. What's the deal, people move there to be part of a super active community, and then complain at the lack of couch potatoes? Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area