U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,832 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone
]I may be relocating soon from Wisconsin to Colorado for a job in Fort Collins but wanted to live in Denver for a number of reasons, one large one being that is where I have some family. I was just curious if anyone commutes from Denver to Fort Collins daily. I know it’s about an hour drive, but what are the roads like in the winter? Traffic in the morning? After work? Any help or feed back would be great. Thanks in advanced!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM

46 posts, read 113,583 times
I don't do the drive much, but seem to get a rock chip in my windshield every third time or so. Winter being the worse when the trucks have snow packed under them with gravel in the melting snow.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 10,832 times
Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it! I also posted in the Denver section and most people wouldn't advise it for a daily commute, b/c of road and traffic conditions.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,298,684 times
It's just a bad idea. It's a long drive even though it's an hour (in good weather when you can go the 75 speed limit).

Might I ask why you don't want to live in the Fort if you already have a job there. Seems like most people want to live in the Fort but have trouble finding work. An hour away from your family is not very far.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 PM

98 posts, read 206,336 times
That would suck.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 AM

13,625 posts, read 26,008,295 times
Yeah, that drive isn't too fun. Would not subject self to it every (or most) day.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,272,341 times
I have a friend who did that commute every day for about 6 months and she absolutely hated it. Once you get to the Denver outskirts traffic slows to a standstill (in both directions) and getting into or leaving Denver no matter what direction you're going in feels like it takes forever. Add in bad weather or accidents or roadworks and it's a recipe for disaster. It might be better if you could live halfway between the two, eg; Longmont, Firestone or Frederick?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM

210 posts, read 428,984 times
I have to agree with what has already been posted. I have driven to Denver a few times from Fort Collins and all I can say is that if I was moving to this state I would not opt for that type of commute. There are many other smaller communities that would allow you to work in Fort Collins and still be close to your family in Denver. I just couldn't imagine driving that much on a daily basis especially in the winter or dealing with the traffic of Denver on a daily basis if you don't work there. I agree with the suggestion of looking around Longmont which would be a much easier drive to either location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area