U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 22,248 times

Advertisements

First time I have come accross some one actually prepared to say some negative things about FC.
I would appreciate hearing some more negatives.
I value everyones opinions and we are moving here regardless of the down side but preparation and realization will better make our stay if we know what to avoid or plan for.
Am I rambling again......
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 AM

192 posts, read 432,835 times
You asked for it and here I go again- All things considered, FC is a very nice location with light crime and an overall simple vibe. My biggest gripe is the lack of "human" element. While everyone is relatively nice on the exterior, there is a huge distance between them. Kindly "guarded". I travel a lot and find it very easy to strike up conversation with almost anyone and sort of get to know them in a short while. Here it is difficult to get past the basic exchanges. I know a LOT of lonely people here and it's sad. My friends wife told me last night about how strange her exercise class is in that no one talks to each other. She said it's like they are scared to. It's the same old story here. I could beat this one to death but have decided to throw in the towel. After 12 years of trying to find an answer, I'm out. Giving up my business, great pay and a lot of security. I came from a "human" society and found that it to be more valuable than what FC has to offer. .... and you thought you were rambling.......

Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM

443 posts, read 422,894 times
I have to agree with krh6609 above. I have made no real friends in Fort Collins in the 4 1/2 years I have been here. I have lived in Los Angeles (very friendly), Cocoa Beach (Fl), Montgomery (Al), Colorado Springs, Santa Barbara (CA), Huntsville (Al), and Houston. I have never had trouble chatting with people but I am unable to say more than "hello" to my neighbors here. I too will leave Fort Collins soon for more friendly environs. I love the layout of the city but I need the "human" element.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,557 times
As I posted in the "negatives" thread: It's a small town. If you love outdoor activities, have friends/relatives here and don't need much entertainment/culture stimulation, you'd probably love it here. If you're not an outdoorsy/nature type, want to meet new people easily and like shopping, museums, festivals, concerts, easy travel, lots of diversity, you'd probably be bored out of your mind here (I am). Know what you're getting into. The pluses for me have the the climate and the natural beauty. Everything else, not so much...

Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM

566 posts, read 1,784,880 times
Damn wind has been blowing for days. Steady 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 40. Hate the stuff and so does everyone I talk to. But when it stops it can be very nice even in the dead of winter. You'll find some of the worst, cursable weather here mixed with some of the best on earth.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM

122 posts, read 183,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Damn wind has been blowing for days. Steady 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 40. Hate the stuff and so does everyone I talk to. But when it stops it can be very nice even in the dead of winter. You'll find some of the worst, cursable weather here mixed with some of the best on earth.
Hard to argue with that.

While it's cliche to talk about the weather with passersby ... it WAS all we talked about ... with anybody we encountered ... while out and about, yesterday and last night.

And I fully expect a few more such conversations, as I head out, today.

Why can't I sail power my car ???

Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM

566 posts, read 1,784,880 times
With a billion dollar tax subsidy you can build some wind generators and buy a GM Volt. But then the wind will stop.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM

75 posts, read 171,108 times
Default My 2 cents worth

I moved to FoCo in Aug 2011. From my perspective, I find the following to be true; 1) winters here start early and (so far) seem long, 2) I thought there would be more sun - it seems that many days are partly to very cloudy, especially after 2 - 2:30pm when the clouds roll over the mountains, 3) the winds can be brutal at times - biking into 40 mph winds is tough, 4) outdoor recreation, especially the around-town road biking and near-town mountain biking is great, 5) people are friendly, although I admit I have not made a a close friend yet, 6) gas prices are relatively low as are food and utilities, 7) there is a strong spirit here - people in general are proud to be from Colorado, 8) New Belgium Brewery makes great beer and the brewery tour is fun, 9) Sprouts is a great, little grocery store, 10) I live in Southeast FoCo and the occasional cattle odor is slight and is not a bother whatsoever, and 11) I have a 20-something son and he loves it here.

That being said, I am not sure that I will stay here much longer. My primary reason is the weather. I am looking for something milder, perhaps like Asheville, NC or maybe even California.

Disclaimer: The above comments are the sole opinions of the author and are in no way intended to be statements of fact or criticisms of Fort Collins or its population.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,011,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
I have to agree with krh6609 above. I have made no real friends in Fort Collins in the 4 1/2 years I have been here. I have lived in Los Angeles (very friendly), Cocoa Beach (Fl), Montgomery (Al), Colorado Springs, Santa Barbara (CA), Huntsville (Al), and Houston. I have never had trouble chatting with people but I am unable to say more than "hello" to my neighbors here. I too will leave Fort Collins soon for more friendly environs. I love the layout of the city but I need the "human" element.
Was Colorado Springs friendlier than FC?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM

443 posts, read 422,894 times
Bideshi - Yes, I found C.S. friendlier. Enjoyed it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area