Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM

99 posts, read 124,518 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to relocate out West and as of right now our options are Minneapolis, Colorado (Fort Collins/Loveland/Boulder), and Salt Lake City Utah (Farmington, Ogden, Provo) areas.
My wife and I are looking to take a trip in a couple months out West and I'm trying to convince her to move to Colorado cause I fell in love with the State a couple years ago. So tell me some good and not so good things about Fort Collins.

i.e.

Job Market?

Cost of living?

Family Environment? (We have 3 girls)

Outdoor Activities for family and kids?

Schools grade schools and Colleges?

Thank you so much for any helpful insight you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Minneapolis...out west???

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM

127 posts, read 234,503 times
In all sincerity, you might want to take 30 minutes, and review some of the more recent threads that -- just by the titles -- will likely give you LOTS of good info that you seek.

From there, you may have more specific questions, but ... a lot of what you're looking for ... is very close by, with a few mouse clicks.

Good luck !

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Job market is soft right now.

Cost of living is better than many larger east coast and west coast towns, and mountain resort towns, but not as inexpensive as mid-western or southern rural towns. We currently have the lowest gas prices in the nation, per an article in the local paper this morning. (I filled up with 85 octane unleaded at $2.99.9 yesterday.

The town is a family friendly place to be, with many activities for everyone. As the town was developed, the city required parks be built at a minimum of roughly one per square mile in town. The city parks and recreation department has many great programs for kids.

People here spend a lot of time outdoors. For outdoor activities: hiking, biking, playing in the parks, boating, swimming, ice skating, sledding, golf, running, organized sports, etc.

The public schools here are highly rated, as is Colorado State University. Front Range Community College is also located here, and is very popular.

For positives and negatives, scan the discussion threads on this forum. Folks are pretty up front about the things they do and do not like here.

Good luck in your search,
Mike Weber

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Minneapolis...out west???
so i take it u have no real helpful advice??????

Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
Job market is soft right now.

Cost of living is better than many larger east coast and west coast towns, and mountain resort towns, but not as inexpensive as mid-western or southern rural towns. We currently have the lowest gas prices in the nation, per an article in the local paper this morning. (I filled up with 85 octane unleaded at $2.99.9 yesterday.

The town is a family friendly place to be, with many activities for everyone. As the town was developed, the city required parks be built at a minimum of roughly one per square mile in town. The city parks and recreation department has many great programs for kids.

People here spend a lot of time outdoors. For outdoor activities: hiking, biking, playing in the parks, boating, swimming, ice skating, sledding, golf, running, organized sports, etc.

The public schools here are highly rated, as is Colorado State University. Front Range Community College is also located here, and is very popular.

For positives and negatives, scan the discussion threads on this forum. Folks are pretty up front about the things they do and do not like here.

Good luck in your search,
Mike Weber
Thank you very much for your reply. We are trying to figure out the best time to relocate out that way, what are the Summers like there? And when does Fall begin as far as temps go winter etc?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac22 View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. We are trying to figure out the best time to relocate out that way, what are the Summers like there? And when does Fall begin as far as temps go winter etc?
Summers can be hot (low 90's), but its tolerable due to the lack of humidity. Also, it cools down nicely in the evenings.

Mid-late September we get cooler days and crisp, cool nights. Snows can come as early as October and as late as May.

The attached before and after photo was taken on October 25 and 26 of last year. October 25 was in the 60's or low 70's if I remember correctly. We awoke to 10 inches of snow and lots of broken trees the following morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Fort Collins Ins & Out's Please?-contrast.jpg  

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM

307 posts, read 980,847 times
Unfortunately, there are no In-N-Outs in Fort Collins. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area