Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,824 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are traveling to town later this week for her to interview with one of the hospitals. Couple questions hope y'all can help with. We are 35 & 28, no kids.

Which areas of town would you recommend to look at rentals? Particular communities or neighborhoods?

We are moving from Charleston, SC and will be renting out our home here, so not interested in purchasing just yet. Is there a better side of town to avoid traffic or be closer to amenities?

What is the lifestyle like? Charleston has been named the most polite city in the country for many years, so we are hoping that there is a little bit of the same hospitality awaiting us.

I have read that jobs are tight. Luckily she is in health care and is interviewing for an amazing job. But, I have a sales / engineering background with not a single prospect. Job market really that tough?

We are really looking forward to visiting later this week and appreciate any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
People are generally friendly, but sometimes it takes a little while to build relationships here. Lifestyle is pretty laid back, with a tendency for people to like outdoor activities and to be athletic.

West side of town is closer to mountain recreation opportunities, but, at the times of day when traffic is at its peak, it can take a bit longer to get from the west side across town to where many of the health related employers are located. South-east part of town is newest and close to most shopping. North, north-east is closer to Old Town, with many activities and night life.

Jobs are tight, but it sounds like you have a good background.

Welcome to our town! Enjoy your visit. Bring warm clothes, as we have a storm forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Mike Weber

Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks Mike for the reply. South east side of town sounds attractive. Can you recommend a particular neighborhood?

Or, as an agent do you happen to work in long term rentals as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
People are generally friendly, but sometimes it takes a little while to build relationships here. Lifestyle is pretty laid back, with a tendency for people to like outdoor activities and to be athletic.

West side of town is closer to mountain recreation opportunities, but, at the times of day when traffic is at its peak, it can take a bit longer to get from the west side across town to where many of the health related employers are located. South-east part of town is newest and close to most shopping. North, north-east is closer to Old Town, with many activities and night life.

Jobs are tight, but it sounds like you have a good background.

Welcome to our town! Enjoy your visit. Bring warm clothes, as we have a storm forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Mike Weber

Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Hi Bill,

I don't deal in rentals. There are a hand full of local property management companies that show available properties on their websites (pretty easy Google find). We also have a very active craigslist for rental property.

As for specific neighborhoods, it will be a matter of taste and availability. Your best bet is to take a bit of a drive when you are here and see what you like the best. Much of the SE part of town consists of single family homes with yards. There are some apartments, condos and patio homes on that side of town as well. Several of the neighborhoods have seasonal neighborhood swimming pools. Harmony Road is the main connector for shopping, dining, and access to the interstate, so you can decide how close you need to be to Harmony.

Mike Weber

Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 16,961 times
How long are you going to be in town? If you are truly considering moving here, I would suggest you spend a day or two looking at apartments.

Don't get hung up on finding your ideal place to live. First make the move, get settled in, then when you're here, take your time to find a better place that suits you and your wife.

When my wife and I moved here, we ended up on the south side of town on Harmony and Boardwalk in an apartment complex called the Miramont apartments. They were nice and served their purpose while we looked for a home. I would also recommend looking at the Courtney Park Apartments around the same area. I would also suggest getting an apartment on the highest floor. You may have to walk up a flight or two of stairs, but it's better than hearing your upstairs neighbor walk/run/jump around at odd hours of the day/night.

The area was convenient since it was close to the market and the places where my wife runs her errands. Get a 1 year lease to get enough time to get settled in and get to know the city better. Month-to-month leases are typically more expensive.

The Miramont has covered garages you can also rent for about $65 a month if you have a need to park your vehicle in a covered space or if you have things you need to store. Our apartment had a little patio area with a medium sized storage closet. Indoor washer and dryer in its own laundry area next to the kitchen and a gas fireplace. It also had central air and heat. I'm thinking that all apartments at the Miramont have those features. There is a pool and a gym, though the gym is the size of a closet. There is a large private gym next to the apartment complex (Miramont Lifestyle Fitness), which I thought was too expensive.

Traffic during late afternoon/early evening can be bad traveling North/South on College and East/West on Harmony, but you can take side streets.

What kind of engineering background do you have?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the response. We will have all day Friday and Saturday before heading back to Denver for our flight home. And will hopefully spend most of our time looking at different areas or neighborhoods. Then probably come back in a month or so after setting up some appointments for homes that we have found on craigslist or through prop mgmt companies.

I think we are leaning towards renting a home just because I have a medium sized dog and need a little extra space so that I can dedicate an area to an office / study.

I work for an environmental firm that helps builders qualify new construction and retrofit older buildings for government energy credits and ratings. We also do wind mitigation inspections in coastal areas and some storm prone areas of the midwest.

How long have you been in Fort Collins? Like it pretty well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal5101 View Post
How long are you going to be in town? If you are truly considering moving here, I would suggest you spend a day or two looking at apartments.

Don't get hung up on finding your ideal place to live. First make the move, get settled in, then when you're here, take your time to find a better place that suits you and your wife.

When my wife and I moved here, we ended up on the south side of town on Harmony and Boardwalk in an apartment complex called the Miramont apartments. They were nice and served their purpose while we looked for a home. I would also recommend looking at the Courtney Park Apartments around the same area. I would also suggest getting an apartment on the highest floor. You may have to walk up a flight or two of stairs, but it's better than hearing your upstairs neighbor walk/run/jump around at odd hours of the day/night.

The area was convenient since it was close to the market and the places where my wife runs her errands. Get a 1 year lease to get enough time to get settled in and get to know the city better. Month-to-month leases are typically more expensive.

The Miramont has covered garages you can also rent for about $65 a month if you have a need to park your vehicle in a covered space or if you have things you need to store. Our apartment had a little patio area with a medium sized storage closet. Indoor washer and dryer in its own laundry area next to the kitchen and a gas fireplace. It also had central air and heat. I'm thinking that all apartments at the Miramont have those features. There is a pool and a gym, though the gym is the size of a closet. There is a large private gym next to the apartment complex (Miramont Lifestyle Fitness), which I thought was too expensive.

Traffic during late afternoon/early evening can be bad traveling North/South on College and East/West on Harmony, but you can take side streets.

What kind of engineering background do you have?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 16,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill33 View Post
Thanks for the response. We will have all day Friday and Saturday before heading back to Denver for our flight home. And will hopefully spend most of our time looking at different areas or neighborhoods. Then probably come back in a month or so after setting up some appointments for homes that we have found on craigslist or through prop mgmt companies.

I think we are leaning towards renting a home just because I have a medium sized dog and need a little extra space so that I can dedicate an area to an office / study.

I work for an environmental firm that helps builders qualify new construction and retrofit older buildings for government energy credits and ratings. We also do wind mitigation inspections in coastal areas and some storm prone areas of the midwest.

How long have you been in Fort Collins? Like it pretty well?
Been here since March of this year, so about 8 months. I feel I should have moved here a long time ago. In truth, the biggest change for me was lowered stress levels and the ability to spend more time at home with my wife. It's amazing how drained you feel because of stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area