U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 PM

80 posts, read 135,343 times

Advertisements

You could try contacting this rescue that specializes in Pits and other bully breeds. They might have some contacts: ColoRADogs Rescue & Rehab | Fort Collins, CO
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 24,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Zo Hurt View Post
Really happy to see all this info on dogs. We want to leave North Carolina (where we haven't found any of that so-called southern hospitality in five years), but we rescue dogs, having ten now (either we do this or they get the needle here), so this is our biggest problem. I figure I will have to come out first and buy a little farm or such, and then bring out the family. Not surprised at the issue with rentals. Sad, tho, if anyone is willing to put up a deposit, and IF they can keep their dogs quiet.
I believe Larimer County (which encompasses Fort Collins) has a limit on how many dogs and cats a household may own...I'm not sure what the number is, but you should check with the humane society that you are not over the limit. They're crazy controlling here when it comes to pets.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM

9,533 posts, read 9,093,314 times
As a retired commercial real estate broker from Larimer County handling and or owning rentals in Ft Collins and Loveland, I can tell you that finding a rental that will take a Registered Pitt Bull, will probably be impossible. Especially an apartment house.

Problem #1: Their insurance will not allow it, as their liability insurance company does not want to take the risk that a known dangerous breed attacking another tenant. Your dog may be gentle, but many of them are not.

Problem #2: Other tenants will move out if a Pitt Bull moves in, and leaves units vacant and cause the owners/managers problems of having to prepare the unit for another tenant and lost revenue for at least a few days.

Problem #3: It makes other units difficult to rent, if a Pitt Bull is in one unit. Especially people with children.

Owners/Managers want to manage their units, with the least problems, and want tenants to stay as long as possible with few to no vacancies which makes them the most profit. Renting to people with two dogs, and one of them a Pitt Bull will cause problems with one or more of those listed above going to happen.

Questions: Why would any owner/manager, want to have problems in their rental units? Why would they want to reduce their profits?

To expect them to want problems, is really unreasonable.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,563,983 times
Breeds with a history of aggression and deadliness are often not looked on favorably in the area. Community safety is held much higher than a person's choice of pet. That's why many people value and choose Colorado. To expect otherwise would be foolishness.

Texas though - as an example - has the priorities the other way around, so that might be a great place to have a pit bull, or lots of them. If a dog maims or kills someone, the most they'll do down there is hold the dog for awhile, and give it back to the owner. The dogs and the owners have more rights than the community. The community is expect to be tough, not show any fear, and have guns to defend themselves. You know, the whole "wild west" theme. Too bad that mindset really breaks down with children and the elderly. That state must have the highest number of children and elderly killed and maimed by pit bulls.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-23-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM

80 posts, read 135,343 times
Here's a perfect example of what happens when people spread bias or hate regarding a particular breed: Still think your Labrador Retriever is safe? Think again! « Everything Worth Knowing… You might think YOU can tell the difference between what YOU call a Pit Bull and what someone else calls it, but as example after example crops up, it has been shown that the majority of the people in this country as well as other countries have completely different views of what they call a "Pit Bull". (which is one of the reasons there are so many stories about 'pit bull' attacks. Half of them aren't even 'pit bulls'. Ask yourself why there are VERY few reputable veterinary or canine behavior experts that agree with breed bans or labeling certain breeds as aggressive--and don't quote dogbitelaw, since they've been proven to publish false stats and skewed "research"). But regardless of how you feel about Pit Bulls, you must realize you're damaging more than just "Pits".
I don't have a Pit, but I do have two cattle dog mixes. One of which is a lab/cattle dog mix. Both have been DNA tested, not because I care what breed they are but because I need to be pro-active due to a few people who've made comments to me about my 'pit bull' while I'm out walking about my dog. It's happened in Denver, it's happened in Aurora & it's happened while visiting another state. It's happened more than once and neither of my dogs look like Pits, but it seems that doesn't matter. Neither of my dogs are anything but lovers, but that doesn't matter either. Every time someone says something it's not frustration that comes over me. It's fear that they're going to lie and say my dog acted aggressively because they think all 'pit bulls' should be killed and therefore it's okay to lie about it if it 'gets one more off the street'. As in the example above, my dog doesn't have to have to have bull breed in her. It doesn't matter that she doesn't even APPEAR to have any bull breed in her, it doesn't matter that her Vet says she doesn't have ANY bull breed in her and it doesn't matter that she has never shown an ounce of aggression to anyone. All it will take is for one animal control agent or police officer who has a bias against 'pits' to hear someone else complain about my dog, the 'pit' and that could be it. Reason & objectivity are thrown out the window. My dog could end up dead for doing nothing and for being a lab mix, which gives her a square head).

In regards to the previous poster that 'insinuated' you will be harrassed if you move here with a pit, I highly doubt it. This is a dog centric area and I see bull breeds all over that are owned by normal people, not gang bangers. If it was a problem, their wouldn't be so many responsible owners out walking their 'pits'. There's no breed ban here and it isn't a big part of the news, like it is in other areas (Aurora & Denver). There really is an atmosphere of responsible ownership here, moreso than breed focus.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,383 times
Haven't been on here to see the posts in some time. Glad that I did. AMidnightSoul, I am glad to here more people voice there opinions like you. You sound like a person who thinks outside of the box and isnt so closed minded like the poster before you. I was actually inspired by what you said and I hope that you are never faced with the posibility of having your pets taken from you.
Responsibility is in the owners hands when they choose a pet. Snake, Dog, Cat, Bird. You name it. For me I grew up with the APBT. That is hands down my choice of pet. Some like them, some don't. I dont care for small dogs and have been bitten by a few. I dont want to eradicate them or anything else for that matter.
The media really paints a horor story for the APBT and people like Sunderpig who have a bias take the notion that all elderly and children will die if they come in contact with a APBT. If you dont like a dog and it scares you, then take precautions and dont go around it. Pick your little white fluffy dog up and run 5 blocks away screaming like this lady did two weeks ago when I walked my dog to the mailbox. LMAO. My dog didnt even look her way. lol. I'm an ex Marine, "99-02". I love my country and I love my rights to be free and own a dog of choice in a subdivision with little white fluffy dogs running all over the place.
So any way dont try and kill my dog or the sheepdog that looks similar to my dog. Plus my daughter and son would be really upset if you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area