Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times

Advertisements

When I do finally get the chance to move, are there any neighborhoods or apartment complexes I shouldn't even bother with? We're looking for a place that is fairly inexpensive but also fairly quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,459 times
Different people have different definitions of "bad neighborhood" so it is a bit difficult to pin down. If crime is part of that equation for you, you might find the online crime map a useful tool.

If you are concerned about noisy neighbors, consider that much of the off campus university student population lives near campus. If road noise is a concern, avoid homes located on the arterial streets that make up the main road grid in town and avoid homes near the freeway.

As was recently discussed in another post, some people's experiences with neighbors, dogs, and the HOA may make the neighborhood "bad" in their opinion.

I would imagine that answers you may get in this discussion will be stories of individual experiences that people have had that made a neighborhood the "worst" for them. Be sure to compare your circumstances to theirs.

Good luck with your move.
Mike Weber

Old 12-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Thanks, Mike! Yes, I'm sure that site WILL be helpful, but I am also interested in hearing about people's experiences. More details, I guess...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
When I do finally get the chance to move, are there any neighborhoods or apartment complexes I shouldn't even bother with? We're looking for a place that is fairly inexpensive but also fairly quiet.
Anything North of the Poudre and near College I would avoid.

I'm also not a fan of the south of town (past Horsetooth), it gets really suburban down there).

Most people will say avoid the neighborhood right next to stadium on the West side of Overland Trail.
Of course closer to the college you'll get more students. BUt surprisingly they filter out a lot just a half mile north of campus in the older houses area.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Anything North of the Poudre and near College I would avoid.
Just to clarify: When you say "near College", do you mean College Ave., THE college, or both?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM

18 posts, read 34,135 times
I would say that they are referring to the strip of College Ave that runs North of Down Town. It's still in the process of being updated and has a lot of old motels and hit/miss trailer parks. Mostly along the road, but better neighborhoods to the E and W.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 PM

127 posts, read 234,445 times
I think Mike has a lot of wisdom on this one.

But ... I also think this one can be extremely difficult to ferret out -- even once you move here.

I wonder whether the Police could talk you through this. Some areas will be FAR more prone to generate noise/party complaints than others. CSU Campus Police, similarly, may have some info. A recent initiative set up an even stricter enforcement policy for party noise. That may have generated more data that you can use.

I think "boots on the ground" can be very helpful. We stayed in hotels for a few days, a few times, before moving here. Checking out an area on the weekends, in the evenings, right after school gets out, etc., can give you a pretty clear picture if there IS a problem, but ... are less telling about whether or not there's NO problem.

I do think -- all things being equal -- staying far away from the campus will probably make you a happier camper, if "peace" is an important factor for you.

Good luck !

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,248 times
Yes, I"m referring to College Ave. People will refer to CSU as CSU, and College almost always means the street (which is a major street).

Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,973,561 times
There's not much of bad neighborhoods in the Fort. Those that are "bad" area only in a relative sense. FC is an affluent town with a large student population. The latter can be drunken and obnoxious but are almost never truly criminals or dangerous.

As others have said, rowdy CSU students with beer will dominate anywhere within a half-mile radius of campus, and make that a full mile due west of Campus (the Campus West area), or anywhere within a mile of campus near College Ave. This is probably where you're going to want to avoid, but mainly for reasons of noise and beer rather than a true threat to your safety.

There are a few sections of town that are undeniably run-down, where the relatively small population of lower-income people live in Fort Collins. The older areas north/northeast of the Poudre River are generally run-down until you get to the lakefront neighborhoods to the north (mostly outside of city limits), where it becomes quite nice indeed. In addition, the older areas northwest of Old Town (think Laporte Avenue) can be a bit on the run-down side as well in spots, although those closer to old town are being fixed up.

Most of the rest of town is fine. The areas to the far south (toward Loveland) are more suburban style and newer, but the older 50s/60s/70s neighborhoods in the central part of town are mostly fine as well if not as shiny. In addition, north of town near the lakes tends to be more of a semi-rural area (horse properties and the like) which also tend to be pretty affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area