U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 AM

21 posts, read 31,021 times

Advertisements

Ok, thinking of moving to Loveland area, and while using the cost of living calculators, they come up with the COL being higher than Philadelpia, PA. Granted we live in the burbs, but still! Is the COL really that much higher in Loveland? Gas is like .55 Cents cheaper than what I pay now. Doesn't make sense to me. What do you guys think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

192 posts, read 432,810 times
I have no idea what the COL is like in PA, but Loveland has never seemed very expensive to me. Best thing to do is give us an idea of the type of home and your lifestyle and we can give some comparisons of what we are paying.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Family of four 2 parents, 2 kids age 4, 6. Eat out 2-3 times a week. Everything for us is within 15 miles at the most. Mom is stay at home mom and will remain the same. We have a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhome paying 1325 a month...electricity about 125, propane 145, cable phone internet 165. Nothing out of the ordinary. I paid 3.49 for unleaded today at Costco, which is one of the cheaper places around.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,393 posts, read 44,179,550 times
CoL calculators are flawed trying to GUESS how you spend.

You sound to be a reasonable spender, and can live most places far cheaper than the 'average' person by
Shopping and Living wisely.

Loveland / is pretty inexpensive and offers a good selection of varied pricepoints for housing, recreation, shopping, and groceries.

I utilize their MANY CHEAP indoor swimming pools

I used to have to drive 50 miles to the nearest pool in my new home, (PNW... moved from Loveland about 1980) Mine cost nearly 10x the Loveland rate, and they just closed mine due to funding...

I and many of my Loveland friends made it through 'family life' just fine on a single income.

What type of career / wage range do you need? THAT may be more challenging to find in Loveland, depending on availability.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM

192 posts, read 432,810 times
It's sounds so far that you are apples to apples with the COL. Do remember that rental housing is pretty hard to find in Loveland, if that is what you need. Also, heating costs vary a lot here because the temperature swings in the winter, but rarely is it cold for long. As "stealth" stated, the job comparison is a big one and should outweigh the slight COL difference.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM

I plan on staying in the same pay bracket..100K-150K...Job is what I am working on now, but I do have a couple lined up. I found quite a few rentals, but we may be looking to buy. I have found some new development but have not gone quite that far...I just started with the COL calculators to see if there was a vast difference from what we are used to. If only there was a Costco nearby...LOL

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,393 posts, read 44,179,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satown View Post
I plan on staying in the same pay bracket..100K-150K..... If only there was a Costco nearby...LOL
With that income you will be in Hog Heaven in NoCo, many folks getting by fine on 1/2 that.

Costco will be coming to FC quite soon. They will get a lot of DEN-WY traffic / $$$. They should have made it in time for the 'stockshow'. Maybe next yr.

I finally quit renewing my Costco membership after ~ 20 yrs. I am out of 'accumulation' mode. As 'early retiree' Neighbors we 'group-buy', and those that like / need Costco fetch for the rest of us. I do need a Chicken 1/month, as one makes 22 dinner servings now that the kids are gone . (burritos, salads, soups...).

Once you have your own joint in NoCo, you can use creative passive solar to cover >50% of winter heat load. Then you wrap the windward side of house in 4" of foam. Have Attic maxed for insulation (& 'topped off' every 10 yrs).

Water is the BIG issue / expense. Wish I could send you some of mine (I get 120" / yr of drizzle). You can replumb house for recycle (toilets and wash machine) and get creative with water use. A $.25 machine on the shower (and TV) is good training for the kids, and a good revenue generator for the family. Mine had to pay $1/hr for PBS, and $2/ hr for gaming or network TV. Shower restrictions saved $30 / month and we have (had) CHEAP power ($0.027 / kwh)

Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Haha, that is a little extreme for us...Kids dont play that many games and if they do they must be educational. They have however been turned into mini extreme couponers by my wife! They know the first thing to ask before they ask is if she has a coupon for it, or is it on sale? That in itself saves tons of money, except for when I want to buy something, they tell me no cause we dont have a coupon for it!!!

Thanks for all the advice if anyone has anymore I welcome it. It seems so far that while some things may be more expensive for the most part the COL will be cheaper.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM

345 posts, read 824,351 times
Gas might be that much cheaper because we have 85 and the lowest you guys have is 87. Here it is 85, 87, and 91.

For propane I am on budget billing and I pay $225 a month for a locked in price, without it I can pay anywhere from $350-425 for one delivery.

Not sure how much house you would get for $1300 a month.

The pay though if it remains the same will be good, just make sure it is a firm offer and you visit first.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 PM

I guess the octane is due to the elevation? We are not on the budget plan, I thought it would lead to a false sense of saving money. When I read the fine print for our companies "budget" plan, it really did not save us money, just spread out our bill all year long, and if you go over their estimate, your bill will be adjusted accordingly. Thanks, but I will take a couple of months of higher bills before I pay 270 a month for a year. 1300 is what we pay now, but are quite flexible. I just hate paying much more without actually buying the house. I visited over a year ago but it was really quick. Basically just for the evening, but I did enjoy my time there and during the day it was beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area