Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 34,802 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in Ft. Collins, and if he takes it we move from Manhattan, KS with our school-aged kids. We've visited FoCo and Loveland, scoured these boards, and met with a realtor. We have a few last-minute questions:

1. How are the local Catholic schools vs. public schools? We heard the IB program is incredible, but tend to be partial to Catholic schools. Since there is no Catholic high school, how do Catholic grade school kids adjust to public high schools?

2. What are the problems at the high schools? Do people worry about drugs, bullying, or what? I get that it may vary by school, but just wondering whether there was a predominant issue that keeps FoCo parents awake at night.

3. Is there a sense of community in FoCo? Is it a highly transient area without a lot of connections between people? Manhattan has been very welcoming with a strong sense of community.

4. Is the FoCo economy (in general) weak now? We've been spared the worst of the downturn in MHK.

5. Bonus points: Anyone have comparison comments on living in the college towns of Manhattan vs. Ft. Collins?? Seems like KSU rules Manhattan but CSU doesn't have a huge presence in FoCo. Also, I see a lot of complaints about wind in FoCo, but I assume those people have never experienced months of sustained KS wind advisories (i.e. it will be an IMPROVEMENT for us). Weather just has to be better there than here.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Last edited by Klue; 02-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Add one more question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 PM

161 posts, read 239,920 times
Went to school at CSU and I'm now stuck in central KS.

I feel that the wind is about the same, aside from the tornado's that is.
CSU isn't a sports giant like KSU but you need to remember that Colo has professional sports that take away from the college sports focus. Av's, Rockies, Nuggets and Broncos + pro soccer and lacrosse teams. All I hear about is KU and KSU rivalries at work but Colo hasn't been a powerhouse in college sports in a long time.

I still have friends in Ft. Collins & they love it there. Ft. Collins has made Money Magazines top places to live... twice? Having been to Manhattan once, I can only say that both towns have a similar feel. I think Ft. Collins has more to offer as town in general, it's grown beyond a college town and is becoming a city that holds it's own. I also have to say that Ft. Collins has a way better selection of beer than Free State. So don't let those Free State brews keep you there. I may be wrong but I feel Manhattan is still very much a college town. My wife is excited that Wichita just got a Vitamin Cottage -Natural Grocer, just as Manhattan did. If that's your thing then Ft. Collins is way ahead. Plenty of all-natural stores to shop at.

If you like the outdoors, then Ft. Collins does have a lot to offer. There's a great National Park in Estes an hour away. Camping and hiking up Pouder canyon and great Bed & Breakfasts throughout the mountain areas.

My friends don't have kids and I haven't heard much about the school. Sorry, I'm not much help in that dept. I admit I am totally bias. I love Colorado and hope to move back some day soon. I love the mountains and miss all the outdoor activities. Good luck with your transition if you choose to take it.

Last edited by rockymtn; 02-26-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
1. I went all the way through school here and had a couple of friends in high school who came from Catholic school. They seemed to integrate fine, though I know one who went a bit wild in College and after.

2. Both of my kids are in high school now. We have a good, open communication line with our daughter (junior) and hear about some drug issues at the school, but have not had any bad experiences with her. We are thankful she has a good group of friends. My son (freshman) is home schooled because he is working toward graduating early, so he sees no effect.

3. Fort Collins is very welcoming, but many on these boards have had a difficult time making close friends. There are many communities within this community, so if you find folks with a shared interest, you have a better chance of making friends.

4. The Fort Collins economy is steady, with positive outlook. Per the Federal Housing Finance Agency, the Fort Collins area is the only market in the state to see increased home prices in 2011. Jobs are not plentiful, but business and housing are generally strong. Many commercial vacancies are filling up. The university is our largest employer and keeps us pretty steady.

5. For the bonus: When the 20,000 CSU students are in town, you notice businesses are a bit busier and there is more traffic on the streets, especially near campus. The university lends a little bit of diversity to our otherwise vanilla town. Having the university in town adds to opportunities for cultural experiences (concerts, art, etc) that we might not otherwise have. That being said, unless you are near the campus, you may not notice the presence at all, especially if you live in the southern part of town.

Aside from driving across Kansas, I have not experienced Kansas wind. Our wind sometimes becomes annoying, especially after a few days of it in a row, but my house has yet to be blown to OZ.

Good luck with your move!
Mike Weber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area