Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
 
78 posts, read 410,201 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

Thanks crackerjack - I appreciate your opinion. I hope someone local will chime in too! It's getting close to decision time for me and I don't want to have to stay in a hotel too long before I find a good place. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2006, 12:59 PM
 
95 posts, read 569,412 times
Reputation: 55
what about craigslist.org or realtor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Heading Northwest In Nevada
8,965 posts, read 20,388,156 times
Reputation: 5659
Ok, going along with the OP, we will be in Loveland later this month for a week looking at 2-bedroom/2-bath apartments and other things. It will be just wife and I. We lived in Colorado before (apartment by old Fiddler's Green Amphitheater and later a house in Parker) for total of 5 1/2 years. Basically, due to stupid thoughts we had, we sold our house in Parker and moved out of Colorado. At the time of our move, June 2019, we will both be in our early 70's and basically retired.

So far, what we've seen online of Loveland, and on a news app I have, we like the area, but, like anyone who is looking to rent an apartment, want that apartment in the right area. We will really get a much better feel of Loveland during our visit. Appears that Loveland has the "small town/old Colorado" feeling that we like, much, much more than where we are now...……..and a whole lot less crime as well.

Many on this forum have seen the couple of threads we have asking about Loveland, but I wasn't too specific about good and bad areas to live in...……..if there indeed are any.

Any locations advice would be much appreciated, so we can check them out while there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2018, 02:46 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Reputation: 46247
Basically anywhere EXCEPT near Senior Center / Chilson Rec Center and east to Madison & for about 6 blocks north or south (high migrant and rental area). for last 70 yrs...

Not gonna be dangerous anywhere, just a little less desirable in certain areas. (rental type issues, noise / cars / kids)

I much prefer west side of downtown all the way to Estes Park! (I don't like east 34 traffic snarls, and avoid 287 except for after dark and before dawn.) I would look to get near a 'walkable' area (adjacent to county trails along river or Devil's Backbone, and for me... walkable to daily lap swimming at a High School pool)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Heading Northwest In Nevada
8,965 posts, read 20,388,156 times
Reputation: 5659
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Basically anywhere EXCEPT near Senior Center / Chilson Rec Center and east to Madison & for about 6 blocks north or south (high migrant and rental area). for last 70 yrs...

Not gonna be dangerous anywhere, just a little less desirable in certain areas. (rental type issues, noise / cars / kids)

I much prefer west side of downtown all the way to Estes Park! (I don't like east 34 traffic snarls, and avoid 287 except for after dark and before dawn.) I would look to get near a 'walkable' area (adjacent to county trails along river or Devil's Backbone, and for me... walkable to daily lap swimming at a High School pool)
You do see that we are going to be renting an apartment, not buying a house......right? We don't necessarily want to live in a loud "family" type area, but not an "old people" area either. Even though we'll both be in our early 70's (wife 71/myself 70), we are still fairly active, but not walking trails active or sitting and playing cards all day either.

One of our concerns is the way apartment complexes, that we've seen online, are there AND the cost. IOW, three high. Seems like we've always had problems with people who live above us, but we don't want to live on the top floor either. Our current apartment is at the attached to the end of one of the apartment buildings with nobody above us. Single story called a "bungalow" type. A big worry is if we can find the right apartment at a cost we can afford on SS and savings (and possibly a small part-time job).

From my Loveland News App, I see law enforcement can be fairly active, but nothing really serious (that I've seen).

Because of the cost of renting in Loveland, I'm not completely sold on us living there, due to our limited income. Basically, that is the only worry we have, but it is a worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Middle America
11,118 posts, read 7,180,697 times
Reputation: 17022
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One of our concerns is the way apartment complexes, that we've seen online, are there AND the cost. IOW, three high. Seems like we've always had problems with people who live above us, but we don't want to live on the top floor either.

Because of the cost of renting in Loveland, I'm not completely sold on us living there, due to our limited income. Basically, that is the only worry we have, but it is a worry.
The stacked, three-high complexes are unfortunately the new norm in the area. The developers love to "pack 'em in". Though I no longer live in apartments, I can relate to the issues of being surrounded by so many people. The top floors are the warmest, the middle floors completely surrounded by others, and even the lower floors often have ceiling and music noise from the people above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Reputation: 46247
I would imagine in Loveland, you will be renting duplex or similar (usually single level), Generally apartments are not of huge availability / presence in 'rural-centric' Loveland, usually for kids / first time out of the home, transitioning to the workforce singles and couples. Senior Apartments are in the age 85+ range, but there are some rent adjusted apartments available to 55+. (with wait list). Apartments are not the greatest place to be keeping your boat (likely impossible), and storage would mean a double route to the lake everyday.

I can think of / find 50+ Loveland rentals that would seem good for you & in areas that would be ideal for your interests. (Been there 3x in the last month and 3x in the next, well engaged with the RE offerings, and yes Loveland is priced HIGH at the moment, so if you want / need something else... best be changing plans or implement a Plan B!!). My Plan B's are very simple, but would not be accepted by you. I just 'equity share' / offer remuneration to someone who lives rural with a large acreage / shop with apartment they don't use. Then I find my 'place' at my leisure. I know of several of these adjacent to lakes (and available).


Many active seniors (and youngsters) walk and ride the trail network for vigorous exercise. (, but we know you have special interests and will be fishing and rodeoing 24/7).

For others...
You can now walk to Ft Collins from Loveland if you want a little more challenge (I commuted by bike, and it was not so bad). Loveland has a lot of trails, Ft Collins 2x more.. You even can moor your boat on Boyd and walk there daily.

Loveland, Colorado - Walk Ride Colorado
Trails: Biking and Hiking in the Loveland area | Visit Loveland Colorado
City of Loveland, CO : Recreation Trails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Heading Northwest In Nevada
8,965 posts, read 20,388,156 times
Reputation: 5659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The stacked, three-high complexes are unfortunately the new norm in the area. The developers love to "pack 'em in". Though I no longer live in apartments, I can relate to the issues of being surrounded by so many people. The top floors are the warmest, the middle floors completely surrounded by others, and even the lower floors often have ceiling and music noise from the people above.
Yes, we had our problems with young neighbors coming home at 3AM and both stomping on the stairs and talking loud at that hour. Had upstairs neighbor with a baby that loved to run across the floor aka our ceiling. Way to many people simply don’t care about their neighbors sleeping. “Don’t like the noise, move out”, we’ve been told.

Heck, even after we bought our house in Parker, next door neighbors dog loved to bark at 2AM.

Wish we could, BUT could never live somewhere where the neighbors were blocks to miles away.

Question is, will we be able to afford a 2-bedroom in a nice area of Loveland????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Heading Northwest In Nevada
8,965 posts, read 20,388,156 times
Reputation: 5659
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would imagine in Loveland, you will be renting duplex or similar (usually single level), Generally apartments are not of huge availability / presence in 'rural-centric' Loveland, usually for kids / first time out of the home, transitioning to the workforce singles and couples. Senior Apartments are in the age 85+ range, but there are some rent adjusted apartments available to 55+. (with wait list). Apartments are not the greatest place to be keeping your boat (likely impossible), and storage would mean a double route to the lake everyday.

I can think of / find 50+ Loveland rentals that would seem good for you & in areas that would be ideal for your interests. (Been there 3x in the last month and 3x in the next, well engaged with the RE offerings, and yes Loveland is priced HIGH at the moment, so if you want / need something else... best be changing plans or implement a Plan B!!). My Plan B's are very simple, but would not be accepted by you. I just 'equity share' / offer remuneration to someone who lives rural with a large acreage / shop with apartment they don't use. Then I find my 'place' at my leisure. I know of several of these adjacent to lakes (and available).


Many active seniors (and youngsters) walk and ride the trail network for vigorous exercise. (, but we know you have special interests and will be fishing and rodeoing 24/7).

For others...
You can now walk to Ft Collins from Loveland if you want a little more challenge (I commuted by bike, and it was not so bad). Loveland has a lot of trails, Ft Collins 2x more.. You even can moor your boat on Boyd and walk there daily.

Loveland, Colorado - Walk Ride Colorado
Trails: Biking and Hiking in the Loveland area | Visit Loveland Colorado
City of Loveland, CO : Recreation Trails
Well, for as long as we have the boat there, would be keeping it at an RV/Boat Storage place on it’s trailer, or, if we are lucky, in a rental slip at Carter or Boyd, then back on the trailer for winter.

BTW, we won’t be boating/fishing and going to rodeos all the time. Anyway, we are only fans of rodeo today. My “in the arena” days are long gone now.

IOW, we might quickly find that we can’t afford Loveland and/or find somplace suitable for both or budget and liking.

Other parts of the Front Range, like Littleton, cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Reputation: 46247
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
....
Other parts of the Front Range, like Littleton, cheaper?
Front Range, ..., cheaper?
Hereford, Carr, Nunn, Ault, Red Feather Lakes

Slightly cheaper than Loveland, especially for rents (Berthoud, Campion, Johnstown, Mead)

For ranching / horse interests I like Rist Canyon and Glen Haven (on higher ground).

If you can learn to survive on catch and release / National Park, as well as a few very nice local lakes... Estes Park can be a REALLY nice retirement community. Especially if you have a small extra living space and Air BnB your home (and extra living space during the summers (A great time to be GONE, rodeoing in WY, MT, ID, Canada)) Winters can be nasty cold and windy, but as a retiree, you can hunker down and stay indoors for a few days and soon it will be sunny (melting) and calm(er). There are a lot of very nice retiree venues in Estes Park, and a very active group. + frequent equestrian events (PT job at fairgrounds (?)).

Cheap... You need to be very creative, but it is quite possible to to. (Hint: 70% of the yr, there are thousands of EMPTY residences within 5 mile radius of Estes Park. Private, public, camps, / retreats ...). A $5k RV (which could also serve Part time as a Air B&B rental) would give you a bunch of options during the summers. (regional fishing / camp-host in wonderful destinations of CO, NM, WY, UT, ID, MT, SD...) We met Camp-hosts in a tranquil NZ area (12 miles off the road) They had been on that site for 27 yrs! Fishing was terrific, sheep, cattle, horses and an occasional camper to check-in!

During 'early retirement', ALL of our homes are rented out and each has a 'free' place for us, when we happen to be there. (btw, they are VERY cheap <$150k. no SS / pension... so.. they each spin off $10k/yr positive cash flow each to keep us FREE to travel (but lots of Maint since they are all rural acreages, OK while we are able to maintain them, but eventually will be sold to tenants or investors). I keep cheap car / MC and truck (and boats), + full shops + farm and auto / welding / woodworking equipment in each 'region' (PNW, CO, TX). Bit complicated for most... but very good for us at the moment (and for last 10+ yrs of 'early retirement' - my response to being 'outsourced / downsized' / 'retired' at age 49))

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-09-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top