Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM

78 posts, read 409,129 times

Advertisements

Good evening to all! I am really anxious to get back out West again - had to go back East to take care of stuff but now I am planning to move to Fort Collins in a month or two and would like to know what area NOT to live in (crime, personal safety, etc.). I live in the Broomfield area near Denver before and that was really nice. I have seen a few people recommend Windsor but not Loveland. Since Ft Collins is a college town, do all kids stay in one area? What area is that so I stay away - I kind of like peace and quiet and don't mind being too far out of town. Plus I need to be able to see fantastic Longs Peak. Any help would be very much appreciated - thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 01:34 PM

45 posts, read 347,907 times
Look into South Loveland and North end Ft. Clns. This is where a lot of growth is going on. You can find some nice homes in that area and feel close enough to big box and have access to open space/horsetooth, etc. Loveland is as nice a place to live as just about anywhere in Colorado. It's just a little more of the Ole Colorado... kind of like the PTO... you have to do the dirty work as a kindergartner parent before you get the good jobs (5th grader parent). You have to prove you're worth the time and energy before you get in good. Loveland has Art in Public Spaces and is very progressive when it comes to the Parks and Art...it really has a lot of bronze statues...I see a new one everytime I go out.
Good Luck

Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concoulor3 View Post
Look into South Loveland and North end Ft. Clns. This is where a lot of growth is going on. You can find some nice homes in that area and feel close enough to big box and have access to open space/horsetooth, etc. Loveland is as nice a place to live as just about anywhere in Colorado. It's just a little more of the Ole Colorado... kind of like the PTO... you have to do the dirty work as a kindergartner parent before you get the good jobs (5th grader parent). You have to prove you're worth the time and energy before you get in good. Loveland has Art in Public Spaces and is very progressive when it comes to the Parks and Art...it really has a lot of bronze statues...I see a new one everytime I go out.
Good Luck
Thanks for all the good info! I have started looking at a ton of places on the internet - I am looking to rent an apartment or townhome. I have heard that areas East of Ft Collins such as Winsor or Greeley are OK too. I want to steer clear of college students if possible. Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concoulor3 View Post
Good Luck
Thanks for the good info! You have given me a good start. Since I am not too familiar with Ft Collins, I want to make sure I do not move in where the college kids (usually too noisy and too many parties) are and somewhere relatively safe. I love the outdoors and love to jog and hopefully I can find a place with trails and such like that. According to a recent news report, Ft Collins is the place to be! Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 AM

66 posts, read 492,365 times
Actually, the big growth residential areas in Loveland are north and east, with just a little bit going on west. Not much happening right now in south Loveland.

Fort Collins is growing a lot to the southeast and northeast, far away from the CSU campus which is centrally located in Ft. Collins, but west of College Avenue.

I know that there are plenty of condos and townhomes for sale in both cities, over 145 currently on the market for $119K - $175K, but I'm not sure about the rental market for these homes or where they are located.

Of the four cities that you mentioned, Windsor would probably be the quietest, due to their small size. They have some awesome neighborhoods as well. Ft. Collins and Greeley are college towns. It seems that Loveland is more know for their "bedroom community" feel, as a lot of people commute to jobs in other nearby cities.

You can the mountains just about anytime you are out and about. Of course, if you want to view them from your home, then you most likely will pay a higher premium for the view.

For crime rates, call the local police stations in Loveland, Ft. Collins, Windsor, and Greeley to get a good understanding as to which towns are safer.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 PM

45 posts, read 347,907 times
To avoid the college students in Greeley or Ft.Clns, you'll have to stay away from the "old town" areas in both cities. Again, South Ft. Clns has a lot to offer, new town homes and I suppose some rentals; however, the ones in our portfolio are college & old town areas. Lots of open space parks between Loveland & Ft. Clns. I disagree with the previous comment that south Loveland is not growing. We built our house 5 years ago in South Loveland and there is a new grocery store and another one slated, Berthoud is nearly bursting at the seams. And to be honest, easier access to I-25 (fewer lights, which I'm sure will change as it grows) Condos in South Loveland are priced around 200Ks, rent can be found as cheap as $650 for a two bedroom. I can't quote anything beyond that. However, from what you have asked...I would really look into South/West Ft. Clns...North/West Loveland.

concoulor3

Old 09-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all that good information. This will definintely make it easier to look for a rental in the right area. I really appreciate everybody taking time to write their opinions!!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:34 PM

Exclamation Good/bad Parts Of Ft Collins/loveland?

Good evening to all! I have narrowed it down to renting in Ft Collins or Loveland and have checked out the police reports for different areas of the two cities. Trouble is, it is hard to get a feel for what areas are funky! Anyway, if anybody can suggest what areas of Loveland or Ft Collins NOT to live in, I would really appreciate it. Sort of like "SW not good - NE good, that sort of thing. There are a bunch of apartments around - some new some not. Any suggestions? I know I am asking alot but you just can't beat local knowledge when it comes to finding a decent place to live. thanks everybody!!! Can't wait to get out there!!!!

Soon to be ex-New Yorker

Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Question Where to settle in Ft Collins/Loveland?

Hi guys!! I am going to be heading to Ft Collins/Loveland within the next month or so and was wondering where I should look for a decent rental? Looking at all the apartment websites, there are a bunch, but the only thing I will have to figure out is location, location, location! I will be working in Ft Collins, but I want to be an area that is safe for walking and won't get my car broken into!

Any info would be VERY MUCH appreciated. I love to read all the posts on this forum - everyone seems to know so much about everything.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:31 AM

827 posts, read 5,063,607 times
JSGOOFN, I don't live in Fort Collins but I have been there a few times and can say it seems like a good city. I would see people out walking in the evening and nobody looked afraid, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I would suggest though that you avoid apartments where the college kids live as they can have parties, otherwise, a nice place to live. Hopefully someone local will chime in and add more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area