U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,073 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

I'm considering relocating from Florida (where I was raised) to the Fort Collins area. I've never been much for crowds, partying, or loud cities, and I've always found Florida to be much too populated for my taste (and a tad too much on the conservative as well). I've heard so many incredible things about Colorado, and Fort Collins in general, and from the research I've done it seems like the kind of place that I want to be. I've been considering Laporte because I want to have a home with a little land (maybe 6-10 acres), but close enough to Fort Collins to still be involved in the metro-area. It's also very important for me to be near the mountains and woods.
Of course, at first, home ownership won't be an option, so I was wondering if anyone knows of how much a 1 bedroom rental, in a safe neighborhood (though from what I've seen, everywhere seems to be pretty safe), preferably around the Fort Collins area. Community is very important to me, and from what I've heard, Fort Collins is one of the nicest cities in the country, so I don't believe that would be asking too much
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Just so readers are aware, I know about Colorado weather and trust me when I tell you it's what I want. I don't do well with humidity, at all. A dry climate is exactly what I want, and high altitude would just be something for me to get used to. Florida is much too touristy and transient, and I'd be able to live just fine without the beach.
I'm open to other options in CO, I've just heard a lot of wonderful things about Fort Collins, and my top priority is having somewhere safe to raise my future children, with a much better school system than FL has to offer.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM

711 posts, read 1,784,729 times
Fort Collins / Laporte is in an arid region at the base of the mountains. The only trees down here are those that were planted or those that grew naturally near the river. As you get up into the mountains, you begin to find forests, which are more plentiful the higher you go. Many of these forests have been hit hard by the pine beetle, killing lots of trees. In order to get the trees in which you want live, you will probably have to increase your drive distance to town (and make sure you are prepared for driving in adverse conditions).

I live in town, but on the west side of town so I can be in the mountains in minutes. It is a nice compromise.

One locality you should be looking at is Bellvue. The town is really nothing more than a collection of homes, a coffee shop (Bellvue Bean - really good!) and a post office, but all of the property in Rist Canyon, the Poudre Canyon, and the area behind Horsetooth Reservoir near Lory State Park has a Bellvue mailing address. You may also want to have a look at Masonville.

There are some things associated with mountain living that one needs to be aware of. Mountain land is typically more money than land on the plains, so plan for that. When you build on mountain land, don't forget to budget for a septic system and a well, and if power is not at the site, you will need to have power run or live "off the grid". If building in the mountains, be prepared to perform wildfire mitigation on your property. This means cutting down many of the trees that are close to your home, ans well as removing ground fuels. You may also need to budget for a fire sprinkler system.

This area is not really touristy.
Schools here are good, though some would say under-funded. We have had good experiences with our kids in the local public schools.
If you get close to campus or are in Old Town much after 10pm, you run the chance of being near some partying, but overall it is a pretty quiet place.

Good luck with your move.
Mike Weber

Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks!

I was also looking into the Red Feather Lakes area. Do you know anything about that area?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Red Feather is a beautiful area with lots of good hiking, mountain biking and fishing. Expect it to take you 45 minutes to get to Fort Collins when the roads are in good shape. There are a couple of restaurants and a general store, along with a real estate office and a chapel. Nice place for vacations and weekends, but a bit far if you are commuting to work in town.

Glacier View Meadows is a subdivision that is between Fort Collins and Red Feather. If feels mountainous and treed, but is a bit closer to Fort Collins (30-45 min) than Red Feather. Officially the addresses in that area are in Livermore, CO.

Here are a couple of photos of main street in Red Feather and the lake right next to main street:
Attached Thumbnails
Considering relocating from FL to FoCo area? Questions about what to expect-p1010345.jpg   Considering relocating from FL to FoCo area? Questions about what to expect-p1010344.jpg   Considering relocating from FL to FoCo area? Questions about what to expect-p1010343.jpg  

Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM

121 posts, read 182,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmmitsanaaa View Post
I've never been much for crowds, partying, or loud cities, and I've always found Florida to be much too populated for my taste (and a tad too much on the conservative as well).
This poses a LITTLE bit of a challenge, IMHO.

If you looked at the voting records of the Fort Collins folk, you'd find that the closer you get to Old Town, the bluer the voting tends to get.

The farther you get out into the less densely populated areas, and -- certainly -- up into the beautiful areas of the Front Range -- the redder it gets.

You may have to make a bit of a choice, here.

Best of luck in your decision !

Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM

I was just reminded of my post above regarding Red Feather Lakes and the Glacier View Subdivision, and wanted to post an update. This summer (2012), there was a large forest fire that reached portions of the Glacier View Subdivision, burning several homes and causing a change to the views for many more homes. The grasses and ground cover are coming back, but the burned trees will be part of the visible landscape for quite a while. Keep in mind that not all of the subdivision was affected, so the majority of the homes are still standing and many have beautiful surroundings. If you plan to purchase in this area, remember to mitigate the fire potential on your property and budget for higher insurance rates.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM

307 posts, read 872,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmmitsanaaa View Post
Hey everyone

I'm considering relocating from Florida (where I was raised) to the Fort Collins area. I've never been much for crowds, partying, or loud cities, and I've always found Florida to be much too populated for my taste (and a tad too much on the conservative as well).
I am not sure what you consider to be "crowds, partying, or loud cities", but I would say that fits Fort Collins very well. Of course this is my perception. I would definitely prefer a smaller community with less traffic, no college. It is a college town and there is quite a bit of partying going especially in Old Town on the weekend. Old Town has a strong Bar/Club presence catering to nightlife. I feel that Fort Collins is certainly overpopulated, loud and crowded with traffic.

Living in LaPorte would certainly give you more of a "country" feel and a place to escape, but I am not sure how long that will last there. Again, i am not sure what your perceptions are about your aforementioned statements, but I would definitely describe Fort Collins using the quoted words you did. If these issues are of major importance to you, I would visit first, seriously.

If you want Liberal, you will be satisfied with that here I feel. Not as much as Boulder but there is a strong Liberal presence in Fort Collins in general.

Good Luck, and if you choose to move here, Welcome!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM

76 posts, read 136,260 times
Another thing to think about when it comes to mountain property is quite often, I believe, you cannot get a regular home loan to purchase it. I am sure the real estate agents can be more specific about that.
Also the further away you live the further you have to drive to shop go to the Dr. etc. If you are thinking of having children you will want to consider where they would go to school. Laporte town is going to be more conservative, than Fort Collins in general.
When renting you should look around and ask about the level of student rentals in the area, if you wish to stay away from the party crowd. There are lots of nice rentals, we have a condo for 1200/month 3 bedroom 2.5 bath in a mixed area. Have a snow scraper in your car and maybe a bag of kitty litter. Is your car front wheel drive? Most are these days but just in case rear wheel drive is very challenging when it snows.
Good luck.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM

75 posts, read 170,650 times
Default Bring your Chapstick

You will love the dry air here in the warmer weather, but be prepared for the Winter when the air is bone dry. Get a good humidifier in your home, and invest in Chapstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area