U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM

15,757 posts, read 23,717,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
If you go out drinking in fort Collins it is not a good idea to get behind the wheel.
Well it's flipping dangerous too. You can kill somebody. It's also not a good idea to do this anywhere else on the globe. When you drink, your judgement gets affected and if you drive after embibing, then you are playing the odds and you will eventually become a quota.

If you wanna play, you eventually gotta pay.

I had heard somewhere that statistics show that the average drunk driver drinks and drives about 87 times for every time he/she gets pulled over for DUI. This phenomena is not restricted to young adults... nor alcoholics for that matter. Some people seem to think they can drink and drive and get away with it. Some cops seem to think they can catch you. Good for the cop. Alcoholism is a huge industry. You will pay for this industry one way or another.

Not everyone who drinks booze is a problem nor has a problem. Most folks who drink do so responsibly. About 10% of us are or will become alcoholics and another 10% is or will become hard drinkers who, given a sufficient reason to stop or moderate, will. The real alcoholic will be able to do neither... save for some kind of external help/recovery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM

566 posts, read 1,782,651 times
I have talked with some of the best alcohol counselors in Fort Collins. They all tell me that alcoholics do not quit until they hit bottom. Either they get tired of getting tossed in jail, or they are losing an important relationship, or they have lost their job(s) and have hit bottom financially. Until something like this happens they will not respond to help or counseling.

Saddens me to see alcohol such a big part of our local culture (and contemporary culture if you like).

Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,795,610 times
Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, you know. It sounds like maybe you've had problems with alcohol in the past so now you must judge everyone around you as making a mistake by drinking. Perhaps you would be better off living in a smaller town in Utah where drinking is not part of the culture overall.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM

566 posts, read 1,782,651 times
If you ever have a parent or a child who is an alcoholic you may look at things differently. I've had both.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM

15,757 posts, read 23,717,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
They all tell me that alcoholics do not quit until they hit bottom.
I disagree. That "bottom" you speak of has a trap door. A real alcoholic is not a situational drinker. If mere circumstances could alter an alcoholic's drinking, they would have quit or moderated long ago.

I'm a sober alcoholic myself... 8 years and counting. I'll put my experience up against all the counselor experts in Fort Collins... and up and down the whole Front Range for that matter.

Either you're alky or you're not. If you are, you'll either seek recovery or you will not.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,795,610 times
Quote:
If you ever have a parent or a child who is an alcoholic you may look at things differently. I've had both.
Although I haven't had a parent who was one (and I don't have children), I've have a very close uncle who is one, another uncle who is a sober one, and a brother-in-law who died at 26 from a drug overdose. So, I do understand your choice for not drinking. However, I still don't view myself or those around me who like to go out for a beer and some conversation as alcoholics. To judge everyone who does, really misses the point.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM

95 posts, read 265,791 times
Quote:
We came from OC, CA. Can't remember young people being quite so involved in alcohol use there.

The answers obvious from that standpoint, you went from a suburb of one of the cultural centers of America to FOCO. America's.... well... unknown city?

Fort Collins has a decent bar scene which can attribute to the drinking and we have a lot of brewery's but those really don't add to the amount people drink.

Ever since me and my girlfriend have moved to Fort Collins I've personally started drinking startling amounts of spirits after i arived. I attribute it to the fact that i now live somewhere i can't stand for so many reasons. FOCO has its problems, and i'm not gonna list all the reasons i hate living here but i to name a few: The cowboy/greek scene here, The non-traffic traffic because of stupid drivers going 15 under on college, and the absolute lack of respect every young person shows in this city.
Half my apt complex has their cars registered out of state wile they clearly live here full time, thanks for your tax dollars for our roads... dicks. I know its cheaper in WY but your giant ass truck ****s up our roads as much as a CO truck.

Call me a liberal hippie but for fort collins 'having such green values' i have yet to see them with all the lifted trucks and complete disregard toward throwing trash on the ground.

So what i'm really saying is why do i drink like crazy in foco? Because i want out of here and i just have to do my time here until my girlfriend is done with her degree. Every shot gets me closer to my delorean (and the hospital) that will get me out of this city.

(no offense to the 25% of FOCO that have brains)
(and i'm a 27 yr/ old male if anyone's wondering)

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,297,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledjar View Post
Half my apt complex has their cars registered out of state wile they clearly live here full time, thanks for your tax dollars for our roads... dicks. I know its cheaper in WY but your giant ass truck ****s up our roads as much as a CO truck.
You've already mentioned you live near CSU, so I'm going to guess that most of the other tenants are students? If so, it's perfectly legal for them to keep out of state plates. And roads are paid for mainly by gas taxes and property taxes (which comes out of your's and their rent), not registration of vehicles.

That said I hate trucks as well. Sounds like you moved out from LA and didn't really anticipate what it's like to live in the mountain west (ie. ranches and cowboys)?

You might want to think of moving away from the Mason/CSU area. Might change your whole perspective on the city.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 14,544 times
Any college town will have its fair share of drinking. I moved to Fort Collins to get away from the heavy drinking culture of Missoula, MT - mind you I was a heavy partier for years and I loved it but it was time to grow up. As to perspectives - FC is incredibly responsible and tame as to its drinking in my opinion - that is one reason I like it here. And yes there may be a lot of DUIs but that is due to enforcement - where I came from everyone heavily drank and drove damn near daily but no one ever got a DUI - myself included. I stopped drinking and driving the moment I moved here - this is not the type of place where you can get in a drunk driving wreck and blow a 0.3 and have the cop let you drive away from the scene because you are "acting sober" -that seriously happened to me in MT. High DUI arrests often reflect enforcement not the level of intoxication.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM

99 posts, read 201,205 times
I attended the University of Michigan. There were two student riots during the time that I was there. Both had to do with sports (specifically winning very big games). Obviously, drinking was involved as well. Drunk students do stupid things in fits of passion.

I did consider attending three different schools in Colorado: CSU, CU and Mines. I decided not to even apply to CU when I found out that they were the number one party school in the U.S. I suppose that puts drinking around CSU in some perspective. They're not the worst. That said, college students often make idiotic decisions. A frequent idiotic decision is to drink far too much. It happens.

As far as there being more drinking in Fort Collins as compared to the rest of America (which I believe is the comparison being made), that's not the case. According to the County Health Rankings website, Larimer County is pretty far down the list in terms of excessive drinking in Colorado. (Top 5 are Routt, Moffat, Pitkin, Eagle, and Gunnison. Denver is ranked 8th. Larimer County is tied for 19th place with 8 other counties.) So within our own state, we're no where near the top of the rankings. I suspect if we were to broaden the scope to include the entire United States, Fort Collins would be well down the list.

As far as the local paper carrying regular stories of one of the strongest local industries, makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area