U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM

566 posts, read 1,784,607 times

Advertisements

Do you think that there is an unusually high degree of alcohol use in Fort Collins? Especially by young people? An alcohol counselor said to me "all young people in FC have at least least one DUI". True enough for one of my kids.

I wonder why? Appears to be a culture of alcohol use here. Breweries are a big thing in FC and the local liberal rag (the Coloradoan) can't seem to spend enough newsprint covering brewery events.

Is it because there is nothing much for young people to do in FC but get drunk? We came from OC, CA. Can't remember young people being quite so involved in alcohol use there. Plenty of other distractions in OC to keep them busy. And no brewery industry. And no local rag to glamorize the alcohol producers.

My 2 cents.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,301,910 times
I love it when people refer to the Coloradoan as being liberal..... Classic.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 AM

12 posts, read 46,687 times
College kids drinking, you'll have that.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 AM

166 posts, read 390,707 times
Yes, it's college kids reading the newspaper and learning about beer....

Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 AM

121 posts, read 183,781 times
The original poster is from Orange County.

In the same way as my brother -- Rush Limbaugh/Fox News guy -- thinks everybody else is a liberal ... that probably shines some light on why the OP thinks the Coloradoan is a "liberal rag"

Perspective and POV are funny things, aren't they ..... ?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM

3,804 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Do you think that there is an unusually high degree of alcohol use in Fort Collins? Especially by young people? An alcohol counselor said to me "all young people in FC have at least least one DUI". True enough for one of my kids.

I wonder why? Appears to be a culture of alcohol use here. Breweries are a big thing in FC and the local liberal rag (the Coloradoan) can't seem to spend enough newsprint covering brewery events.

Is it because there is nothing much for young people to do in FC but get drunk? We came from OC, CA. Can't remember young people being quite so involved in alcohol use there. Plenty of other distractions in OC to keep them busy. And no brewery industry. And no local rag to glamorize the alcohol producers.

My 2 cents.
having worked part time around old town on Friday and Saturday nights for the last year, I would say there are a lot of young drinkers around town. I grew up in eastern Colorado and went to school in Greeley in the 90s, needless to say I drink, and I used to drink heavily, but there does seem to be a culture around Fort collins of drinking past the point of excess, it is no longer just getting a buzz, but getting to the point of not knowing what is going on around them.

That being said, there is a well known cop around Fort Collins known for giving more DUIs then any cop in the country, Fort Collins and Larimer County heavily enforce the drunk driving laws. there were nights were I seen 5 different cars pulled over for Duis around town at 2 am. If you go out drinking in fort Collins it is not a good idea to get behind the wheel.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM

355 posts, read 732,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Fort Collins and Larimer County heavily enforce the drunk driving laws. there were nights were I seen 5 different cars pulled over for Duis around town at 2 am. If you go out drinking in fort Collins it is not a good idea to get behind the wheel.

That is wonderful! After you bury one of your best friends who decided drinking and driving WAS a good idea, I love to hear of stiff enforcement of DUI laws.

Take a taxi!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:06 PM

713 posts, read 1,788,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
...If you go out drinking in fort Collins it is not a good idea to get behind the wheel.
That seems like good advice, in general, no matter where you are.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM

39,855 posts, read 35,610,325 times
I too grew up in Eastern Co and attended College in Greeley. After I graduated I moved to S Cal. There is just as heavy of drinking in S Cal as Ft. Collins. Maybe more.

Google floatopia

Oh, and S Cal is loaded with breweries.

Thank God

Don't drink and drive.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM

9,590 posts, read 9,141,993 times
When you consider that Colorado is in the lower half of the nation on alcohol consumption it is not the problem it is in the majority of the states.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area