U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,003 times

Advertisements

I'm African-American and am looking at a career opportunity in FC, which may lead to a relocation for me and my family. Can someone tell me whether FC is a racially tolerant city? Is there a separate African-American community or is the city integrated? Where would you find the most racially diverse schools?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 PM

439 posts, read 419,097 times
Totally integrated. I do not see many African-Americans but I do welcome you and I do wish to see more diversity in the city. I am a retired person and cannot address the schools.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM

711 posts, read 1,784,199 times
Welcome to our city. There is very little diversity, but I haven't encountered any intolerance.

My kids had a very diverse student body at their elementary school near the married student housing on campus. My daughter has some African-American friends at Rocky Mountain High School.

Good luck with your opportunity!
Mike Weber

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,003 times
Great to know. Thank you, both.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,642,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonforum View Post
Can someone tell me whether FC is a racially tolerant city?
As you know, the effect of bigotry is commensurate to the number of bigots and not the number of egalitarians. Although Fort Collins has a generous population of egalitarians who are very nice, there are, in my experience, a shocking number of bigots, and their willingness to act maliciously seems unmitigated.

In addition to blatant racism, the cultural tendency towards being agreeable results in greater isolation for those who do not hold mainstream Caucasian values because one is ostracized for not engaging in the group think, or shall we say, adhering to the opinion that everything white is great.

Further, in the mid-80's, the FCPD sought to hire officers. The testing process was such that not one African American, some of whom were well qualified, managed to make it through the process. An African American candidate filed suit and the case went to the 10th Circuit, where FCPD lost.

This case is old. However, I bring it up to illustrate what I believe that you will experience. The defense that the city used was that it was a coincidence, and in my experience, the mass of people in Colorado defend every grievance of disparate impact one might have with the excuse that it's a coincidence.

One can overcome such circumstances in Denver, where it is relatively diverse, and the professional standards are considerably higher. However, it is my opinion that an African American who migrates to North Colorado risks their career.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 05-10-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM

330 posts, read 677,534 times
Default Sure Would Like To See These Claims Substantiated!

Granted, I have not lived in Fort Collins per se, but I have been a Colorado resident for more than 25 years and the above comment seems (to say the least) quite over the top. Are there others who can attest to the claims of blatant racism, bigotry, unmitigated maliciousness, etc., etc., put forth by The Homogenizer? I do not doubt that the abovementioned court case took place in the 1980s, and I'm certain that could be easily proven, but the rest of it sure does not sound like the Colorado Front Range that I have known and lived in on and off since the mid-1970s.

Intolerance has reared its ugly head everywhere in history, but the last time I checked, we are now living in the year 2012.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,642,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
...the rest of it sure does not sound like the Colorado Front Range that I have known...
How would you ascertain the level of racism?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 4,955,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Granted, I have not lived in Fort Collins per se, but I have been a Colorado resident for more than 25 years and the above comment seems (to say the least) quite over the top. Are there others who can attest to the claims of blatant racism, bigotry, unmitigated maliciousness, etc., etc., put forth by The Homogenizer? I do not doubt that the abovementioned court case took place in the 1980s, and I'm certain that could be easily proven, but the rest of it sure does not sound like the Colorado Front Range that I have known and lived in on and off since the mid-1970s.

Intolerance has reared its ugly head everywhere in history, but the last time I checked, we are now living in the year 2012.

A friend of mine was stopped from going into a couple of bars in old town a few weeks ago, the stated reason is they did not allow people with backpacks into the bar. Problem is that there were people standing all around the bar with bags and backpacks, he just happened to be African American, and I have heard of similar incidences where someone is not allowed into the clubs/bars for trumped up excuses.

I do not know how often it happens, but I seen it with my own eyes and have heard enough rumors and innuendo to know it happens enough to bug several people.

And before anybody comments on how he may have looked, the guy is in a very professional line of work that makes very good money, and is highly educated. He in no way looked like he was a trouble maker.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 PM

229 posts, read 853,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonforum View Post
Where would you find the most racially diverse schools?
The schools closest to the university are likely to be the most diverse, as that is where many of the international students and faculty live with their families in university housing. The International Baccalaureate Program at Poudre High School is as ethnically diverse as any place in town and has the added benefit of being academically rigorous. There is also a "school of choice" program that allows you to apply to some schools outside of your neighborhood if they offer programs you're interested in IB, Core Knowledge, bilingual, etc.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,303 times
There isn't many African American people up here, But its not usually a problem. Fort Collins has lots of churches and stuff in it. People are normally friendly as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area