Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times

Advertisements

Does it feel like an isolated small city or a suburb of Denver? I looked online and see it has a has a population of almost 140k so I know it's a decent sized city. With Greeley, Longmont and Loveland close, is it all kinda like one \mini metro? I've almost moved to NWA where Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville are all medium sized cities that have formed a larger metro. Is this similar? I'm aware that scenery and culture are different. I primarily mean the feel of city amenities. Do most residents feel like the community supplies most of what you want or do you feel the need to constantly go back and forth to Denver? Also, I did a good image search as well as phone the photo thread in the forum. Any other ideas on where to find some good pics of Fort Collins? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
I know I definitely never considered it a Denver suburb. I would go to Denver maybe every 2 months of so. Airport, Concerts, In-Laws, and then passing through to go skiing or cycling somewhere. I think the Fort is very self contained, with plenty to do (although I do hear complaints from families and people that aren't into outdoors thing very much (especially in the winter)) and a wide variety of restaurants. I know many people that work in Greeley or Loveland live in Fort Collins, don't hear quite about quite as many people vice versa.

It's definitely the epicenter of the area, and much more of a "city" than the other mentioned locales. Although I think most people would associate Longmont more with Boulder (it's still pretty far from the Fort).

I think in CO you just get used to driving decent distances, which is too be expected with so much prairie land right outside of town.

Don't know that I can help you pictures. Sorry.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM

166 posts, read 432,752 times
Fort Collins definitely is separate from Greeley and Longmont. I go to work in both occasionally and it's 30-35 minute drive. Loveland has its own downtown and is maybe 15 minutes south. Seems alot slower paced.. I guess because there is no college in town. I find very little need to leave Fort Collins for shopping or dining out and I work here as well. Really only go to Denver for the airport, concerts and occasionally IKEA Love it here!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
In the past month we have been to Denver twice (once for a Major League Baseball game and once to see a touring Broadway production), but that is rare. Usually I go to Denver about 10 times a year. The drive between here and there is not much fun.

Google has quite a few images of our town:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Fort...w=1352&bih=594

Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,073 times
Wow, thanks for all of the great & quick responses! One thing I forgot to ask, how is the restaurant scene in Fort Collins. My wife and I are vegans so we don't go out to eat a lot. Is there a good variety of locally owned restaurants in comparison to chains? What about farmers markets?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Several farmer's markets in the area. Lots of restaurants, with a decent combination of local and chain.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
Is Tasy Harmony still around? They were the main "vegetarian/vegan" restaurant when I was still in the Fort. They were pretty good. Almost all places will have some vegetarian options. Vegan has not caught on quite as much though. I think you'll have some options, but not as many as where I live now. I would also check out Avogadro's Number, they have a lot of vegetarian oriented items,and have very popular Tempeh 2 for 1 nights for burgers and cheesesteaks.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM

95 posts, read 290,722 times
Its Nothing like the Denver area. I'd discribe the college community as Greek / Cowboy But the rest of the city is (somewhat) Sane.

The restaurant scene here AWESOME!!! Last i heard there's more restaurants per person on foco than any other city in the US. There's plenty of restaurants that make living here great.

If you haven't had a 60/40 burger at big al's you've missed out your entire life.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 AM

352 posts, read 797,478 times
Default Does that tempeh come with a side of beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Is Tasy Harmony still around? They were the main "vegetarian/vegan" restaurant when I was still in the Fort. They were pretty good. Almost all places will have some vegetarian options. Vegan has not caught on quite as much though. I think you'll have some options, but not as many as where I live now. I would also check out Avogadro's Number, they have a lot of vegetarian oriented items,and have very popular Tempeh 2 for 1 nights for burgers and cheesesteaks.

Dang! Wish we had a Tempeh 2 for 1 Night down here on the southeastern plains. Seriously. I guess you can take the girl out of Boulder County and the Front Range, but...

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 AM

95 posts, read 290,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post

Vegan is so 2009 now its all about gluten free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area