U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM

85 posts, read 228,589 times

Advertisements

Definitely not a suburb of Denver. It is the larger "metro" area in Northern Colorado (in terms of resources for nearby areas). On weekends, it's incredibly common to see Wyoming and Nebraska plates at the shopping areas in both FC and Loveland.

In terms of the feel - that depends on what you are used to. Because I spent all of my life in big city metro areas (i.e. Detroit, Washington DC) I found it to have a very rural feel and much more isolated than I expected.

However, I went to Denver when I wanted that city feel. It's an easy drive down 25.

In terms of resources and restaurants - depends what you are used to. When I inquired about a William-Senoma I was about laughed out of the business I was in. However, when I told them what I was trying to find (a cast iron pan to grill indoors in the winter) four people in the store unanimously said "Jax" and I discovered a WONDERFUL new resource. The same stuff you'd find at W-S but at less than half the cost!

As for restaurants - too many chain restaurants in my opinion but that makes it a ripe place for a savvy restauranteur to open there I think. I loved it when that new Greek place on College went in (guy is from Chicago) and the new olive oil store downtown FC. I think FC would benefit from more of these types of places. I also think the breweries would benefit by adding restaurants the way FC did.

If I had to use one word to describe Fort Collins, it would be casual. That isn't a bad thing. It means as a family we could go anywhere and be treated with respect (instead of people eyeing our kids as if they were destruction waiting to happen) and we could be comfortable. People there are not pretentious but I wouldn't call them overly friendly either.

They will definitely help you if asked but they seemed kind of stand-offish (to me). Again, this is compared to other places. They are MUCH friendlier than Northern Californians (my experience) but more stand offish than Midwesterners.

But again - ALWAYS helplful when asked for assistance/recommendations/ help.

I think it's a good idea to have decent expectations if you can so asking good questions in here is a great start. Good luck to you and your family!

Oh - I should add that you can take a lot of day trips and short trips nearby to see wonderful places that are a part of history (i.e. Fort Laramie - BEAUTIFUL National Park, Mt. Rushmore, The Pueblos, the gorge)... lots to see a short drive away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,307,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingin2new View Post

As for restaurants - too many chain restaurants in my opinion but that makes it a ripe place for a savvy restauranteur to open there I think. I loved it when that new Greek place on College went in (guy is from Chicago) and the new olive oil store downtown FC. I think FC would benefit from more of these types of places. I also think the breweries would benefit by adding restaurants the way FC did.
Are you staying mostly on the south side of town? That's where most of the chains are. If you stay north you can avoid almost all of them, as old town is almost exclusively local places.

Can you clarify what you are saying about the breweries adding restaurants. It reads like you want the Fort Collins breweries to add restaurants like the one's in Fort Collins did. Didn't Fort Collins Brewery add a restaurant to their new facility? That was just about finished when I left town.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 29,448 times
As a fellow vegan, I can tell you that options in Fort Collins are a bit limited. As mentioned by a previous poster, Tasty Harmony is the city's ONLY dedicated vegetarian/vegan restaurant. There are several other restaurants that have some good vegan options, though. Such as Rainbow which is currently the only restaurant with several vegan breakfast options. There are some other restaurants with good options: Ethiopian (Nyala, Ras Ka), Mexican/burrito (Matador, Big City Burrito), Mediterranean (Yum Yum), Pizza (Pablo's), etc. Other restaurants (such as Coopersmith's Pub) are almost 'hostile' to vegans--for example, their veggie burger is served on a non-vegan bun, their fries are not vegan, etc. Honestly, my husband and I travel regularly to Denver to explore more vegan/vegetarian culinary options.

One thing that IS great is the Fort Veg*n Meetup group. They have regular pot-lucks, trips to vegan restaurants, etc. A lot of cool people who love cooking, sharing recipes, etc. If you come to town (even to visit), you should try to attend one of their events.

Best of luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 PM

What's not vegan in a bun?

And out of curiosity, why vegan?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 PM

16 posts, read 29,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
What's not vegan in a bun?

And out of curiosity, why vegan?
I'm not sure what exactly made this particular bun non-vegan. I just took the waiter's word for it. Many buns, baked goods, and pita breads contain dairy ingredients, and some have eggs.

Knrstz stated they are vegan and asked about local restaurants.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM

No, I'm always curious why people choose to eat vegan?
It's interesting hearing different reasons.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM

85 posts, read 228,589 times
Quote:
Are you staying mostly on the south side of town? That's where most of the chains are. If you stay north you can avoid almost all of them, as old town is almost exclusively local places.

Can you clarify what you are saying about the breweries adding restaurants. It reads like you want the Fort Collins breweries to add restaurants like the one's in Fort Collins did. Didn't Fort Collins Brewery add a restaurant to their new facility? That was just about finished when I left town.
I always enjoyed eating something when drinking - to avoid getting drunk and also - it keeps my sugar balanced. In wine country they serve a lot of snack type stuff in order to help with this - and pair cheese and breads, etc with tastings. It's nice.

We used to love going to C.B. Potts because we could drink good beer and have a nice meal as well. A great atmosphere. When FC Brewery put in their restaurant we visited ... LOVED IT! GREAT FOOD! GREAT SERVICE! And a really cool atmosphere. We liked to sit outside on the patio. It was so relaxing and you can enjoy the beer.

You are right in that a lot of the chain restaurants are at the south part of town. We did go to old town when we wanted something different and/or fun though we had to think more about time of day and day of week (i.e. no Saturday night with little kids - not a good mix).

I enjoy breweries that serve food because they have a nice casual atmosphere - each one is different so you don't feel like they are all the same - but it would also be nice to have something totally different - like the Greek place or that cool steak place that used to be a bank. That was a nice treat.

Hope this clarifies?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,753,383 times
Quote:
No, I'm always curious why people choose to eat vegan?
It's interesting hearing different reasons.
Well I could explain a lot but i suggest all people watch forks over knives. You might not become a vegan but it will help you understand their reasons for the choice. My reasons were more for health not animal rights although I do love animals. To me the concept behind the movie made sense. I have always been into weight lifting but only after becoming vegan did I get my 6 pack.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM

99 posts, read 202,177 times
I've got some photos of the northern end of Fort Collins on my website: North of Prospect in Fort Collins, CO Don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

The "feel" of Fort Collins can be night and day different depending on where you are and who you're talking to. I live in Old Town which leans liberal, has a hometown/slightly-urban feel to it, and which is greatly affected both by the university and the proximity to downtown with all of its arts and music activity. But we attend a church a bit southwest of where we live that pulls people mostly from the fringes of town (4 families live in the mountains and were recently affected by the fire. one lost their house. many of the other families live on the south end of town. so i really do mean fringe of town.) and they are very, very conservative. Many of them are from even smaller farm towns and they brought their charming small town ways with them. They can barely comprehend the world that we live in even though most of them live in the same city. So I recommend that you plant yourself somewhere that fits your lifestyle. You don't have to live in Old Town proper to get the same community and neighbors. There are some neighborhoods that were build a little later (40's and 50's) where the house prices are lower, but the neighborhoods are still very nice.

Tasty Harmony is delicious! I'm a vegetarian and typically have a few items on any menu at any restaurant that I can choose from. As vegan's, it'll be harder to find restaurant options, but everywhere we've eaten they've been very flexible about making changes to the food we've ordered when asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area