Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcontreras View Post
Again, I thank everyone's positive comments and ideas.

I moved here, not on a whim, as so many of the native or longer-term northern Colorado residents seem to think people do. My boyfriend of four years got offered an amazing career opportunity, which meant we had to relocate. I fully realized that this move meant I would likely have to substitute in the districts and have a less-than-ideal job until something better came along. All I was looking here was some advice, which is what I thought the purpose of this forum was, not to judge others' life choices or belittle their accomplishments or education.

Forgive me for sounding defensive, but that was so rude.
it was very rude and your reasons for moving are not their business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,733 times
Not overly helpful, but one of my former roommates in FoCo got his masters from CSU and was looking all around for teaching positions last year. He had no luck in CO, and finally landed one in Laramie. Amazingly he didn't get rehired after his first year (despite recommendations from other faculty and the principal). Education in CO is tight right now, which I imagine you already know.

Tutoring at CSU might be a great option and could allow for okay pay and flexible hours. After working there for a few years I know there are a lot of kids who could use it at CSU.........

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
What about substitute teaching? Perhaps a (paid) way to network? I am sympathetic to your situation - I knew an elementary teacher who commutted to Thorton everyday. What does your s/o do?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcontreras View Post
Unfortunately, Denver metro was not an option. Thanks for giving perspective on the weather. I'm glad it's likely to only be a few days of those conditions, as when I lived in Massachusetts that was what the entire winter was like
Well, teaching job prospects are hard to come by anywhere, so who knows ? Maybe you'll have better luck in northern Colorado. Fort Collins is a nice place to live, if you like college town type atmosphere.

As for the driving conditions, it also seems to me that most of the worst days for travel the schools would be on cancellation or delay. I don't think regular travel southward on I-25 should be too bad ... but of course, the shorter the commute the better. I think you'd get used to driving in snow ... just leave with plenty of time, and don't go too fast for conditions, and take on a "winter survival kit". Many people have to drive in winter conditions.

The driving conditions on I-25 from Denver to Fort Collins are much more rarely extreme than they are on many other roads in the high plains and Rocky Mountain regions.

Last edited by Davros; 07-30-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Not overly helpful, but one of my former roommates in FoCo got his masters from CSU and was looking all around for teaching positions last year. He had no luck in CO, and finally landed one in Laramie. Amazingly he didn't get rehired after his first year (despite recommendations from other faculty and the principal). Education in CO is tight right now, which I imagine you already know.

Tutoring at CSU might be a great option and could allow for okay pay and flexible hours. After working there for a few years I know there are a lot of kids who could use it at CSU.........

Good luck.
I guess it's tight in WY as well, if a good teacher can't get rehired ...

Now, Laramie, there's a place I'd never want to have to make a daily commute to in the winter, from anywhere.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Well, teaching job prospects are hard to come by anywhere, so who knows ? Maybe you'll have better luck in northern Colorado. Fort Collins is nice, if you like college town type atmosphere.

As for the driving conditions, it also seems to me that most of the worst days for travel the schools would be on cancellation or delay. I don't think regular travel southward on I-25 should be too bad ... but of course, the shorter the commute the better. I think you'll get used to driving in snow ... just leave with plenty of time, and don't go too fast for conditions, and take on a "winter survival kit". Many people have to drive in winter conditions.

The driving conditions on I-25 from Denver to Fort Collins are much more rarely extreme than they are on many other roads in the high plains and Rocky Mountain regions.
School is seldom cancelled and rarely on delay in the public school districts of metro Denver. The Boulder Valley SD has a policy of NEVER closing early for the day, despite snow. (Parents are allowed to pick up their kids early if they desire, but obviously, the staff has to stick around.) The weather is rarely that much different south of Ft. Collins, through the metro area.

With an education degree, the OP might try some daycare/preschools; many of them offer kindergarten and sometimes even first grade.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
School is seldom cancelled and rarely on delay in the public school districts of metro Denver. The Boulder Valley SD has a policy of NEVER closing early for the day, despite snow. (Parents are allowed to pick up their kids early if they desire, but obviously, the staff has to stick around.) The weather is rarely that much different south of Ft. Collins, through the metro area.

With an education degree, the OP might try some daycare/preschools; many of them offer kindergarten and sometimes even first grade.
Well, I would think that if conditions are bad enough that Fort Collins to Denver metro is basically impassable, school might be canceled. OP will certainly have to become a capable winter driver to do a daily commute like that ... but ... if the road is literally impassable, isn't school likely to be canceled ?

I guess that is something the OP would have to find out if applying for a job down that way ...

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Well, I would think that if conditions are bad enough that Fort Collins to Denver metro is basically impassable, school might be canceled. OP will certainly have to become a capable winter driver to do a daily commute like that ... but ... if the road is literally impassable, isn't school likely to be canceled ?

I guess that is something the OP would have to find out if applying for a job down that way ...
Have you ever had kids in school here? I had kids in the Boulder Valley Schools from 1989-2005. I could probably count the number of snow days they had on the fingers of one hand in those 16 years. It wasn't even one day a year. Some of those days were pretty bad; sometimes the snow would start during the day and as I said, BVSD will not close school early. Their policies are similar to other districts in the metro area. The only "late starts" were for the mountain schools. The kids aren't the ones traveling 50-60 miles on I-25.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 9,091 times
Zcontreras,
I don't have any new advice ,but I wanted to tell ya to hang in there. We moved here around the same time you did- maybe even a little later- for a great job opportunity for me. My husband is a High School English teacher, and it took a little while for him to find a position too. Just this week, he was offered a spot at FCHS. Just keep swimming!
-M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area