U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,075,516 times

Advertisements

Hey I was just offered a job in Greeley, but I would probaly live in Loveland. ANyway just looking for some info on the area and what to expect as far as weather and QOL. Im pretty pumped for this btw. Im a big mtn biker and skier so ill be doing that on the weekends. We are coming from the ATL and Pittsburgh areas so we're use to cold winters and hot winters. Is it easy to find homes or townhomes to rent? I really dont want to be in an apartment.

Anyway,

THanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM

714 posts, read 1,789,752 times
Rental market is tight right now, so you may not find the perfect place. You might check the Fort Collins craigslist for rentals in Loveland, or Google property managers or rentals in Loveland.

Lots of good mountain biking nearby. If you live on the west side of Loveland, you can ride to Devil's Backbone trail head pretty easily. That trail takes you to a huge network of trails west of Loveland and Fort Collins. A short drive up the Thompson Canyon gets you to the Crozier Mountain trail, which is also a bunch of fun. If you are looking for lift served downhill, you are 2 -3 hours away from the bike parks at Keystone, Winter Park and Sol Vista.

Like the lift served mountain biking, skiing is going to be 2-3 hours away unless you plan to do some back country skiing. Eldora is probably the closest and you can get there in under 2 hours. Living in Loveland is not like staying at the resort, where you get up, put your skis on and hit the slopes. For easier access to ski slopes, you will want to live on the east side of Loveland for quick access to the freeway.

While farther from the biking, your commute to Greeley will be easier if you live on the east side of Loveland.

Search here at City-data for weather info. Winters can have some pretty cold days, but the lack of humidity and the sunshine make them feel better than winter days in either Pitt or ATL. I have flown out of ATL in February when it was 38 and drizzly only to land in Denver where it is 50 and sunny. Summers here are typically comfortable with low humidity, though we recently had a heat wave with unusual temps in the triple digits. I plan my mountain bike rides in the summer for early morning.

QOL is good, with low crime and laid back lifestyle. There is plenty to do here, if you are into the outdoors. Some folks who don't play outdoors get bored here. For professional sporting events, amusement parks, Broadway productions, etc, you will be headed to Denver.

Good luck with your move,
Mike Weber

Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,405 posts, read 44,197,946 times
Consider Windsor as a better commute to Greeley and Ft Collins (I assume you are 'younger' and will enjoy recreation / relationships in Ft Collins... Loveland is more / family / retiree pace.). East Loveland suffers traffic issues now that commerce has moved to Centarra. (I-25). Benefit of Windsor, is very low traffic and EZ bike to Greeley, Ft collins, or Loveland. You will be MUCH less likely to bike to Greeley (or Ft Collins) from Loveland. I think you will find road biking VERY desirable in Colorado. (Wide Shoulders, traffic used to seeing bikers).

Look to Mtn Biking options north and west of Ft Collins and southern WY. Much Colorado stuff centric to skiing / mtn access / biking is directly west of Denver, thus if you desire less crowds, stay away from there 'Central Colorado'.

Southern Colorado, NM and WY are less crowded and very nice for recreation.

BTW: I prefer Loveland, and have spent many yrs there, BUT... I did a commute to Greeley for 6 yrs and WASTED a lot of time on the road (before traffic / Centarra / Outlet Malls).

Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,075,516 times
How bad is the commute to Greeley? Coming from ATL, 30 mins is the norm if not considered good. I didn't have time to explore too much but Loveland and Ft Collins seemed really nice. I guess I thought there would be skiing closer to Ft Collins but oh well. It would be me, my wife and dogs btw. We are young 30/26 yrs old, but were kind of boring I guess. Im into out doors, she shops. Neither of us party too much, but we will be looking to make new friends to hang out with. The population seems to be about our age as well.

ANyway thanks for the info!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,405 posts, read 44,197,946 times
depends where you're heading in Greeley.

~ 15 min from Windsor
~25-35 from Loveland
~35-45 min from Ft Collins (east side)

My Sis does the ATL commute from Riverdale to Peachtree. doesn't sound pretty.

I strongly suggest considering reducing your commute (to bikeable). CO is a dream for this, and your QoL will be rich in improved health / attitude. Commuting by bike ALMOST makes work tolerable .

If in NoCo, Consider adding XC skiing / snowshoeing / Camping, and snowmobile to your recreation (and Kayak). Do a couple 'downhill' excursions to Steamboat and Utah every yr to keep in practice. MID WEEK is pretty good if you get a CO 'multi-area-pass'. I don't bother with weekends, no sense spending $200+ to wait in traffic and lift lines.
Enjoy your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area