Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 16,620 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move to Colorado from NJ. Fort Collins is our first choice. We visited last year and love it there.

I've been applying to jobs through Craigslist and Career Builder, but so far I haven't had many responses.

My questions are: 1. How is the IT jobs market in Fort Collins? I'm a Consultant/Systems Admin with fourteen years of experience. Is it that hard to find IT work?
2. Are there any other sites you'd use for job listings? I don't see that many on CL and was wondering if another site was used more commonly there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Remember that in coming to Ft Collins area, you have a bit of EXISTING competition in the 'installed' (resident base)

including:

1) about 10,000 laid off / under-employed EXCELLENT IT folks from HP, Intel, IBM, Kodak, Storage Tech, and quite a few other excellence 'heavy hitters' of IT sector with a presence / previous presence in the 'commutable' region.

2) Also many CSU students / faculty / employees who fell in love or grew roots with the area and not willing / able to leave.

That said, you should still find some excellent opportunities, and certainly a vibrant and engaging community of entreprenuers / SE contractors in IT. Just that the competition for 'posted' IT jobs in the area,
will be stiff.

I met some folks from Ft Collins enroute to Austin for 'new employee' training. They will be 'home-based' in NoCo as IT employees for Dell.

There have always been MANY high tech commuters from NoCo to Boulder / Niwot / Longmont / North (and South Denver) ...
I might suggest you consider Co Springs as an alternative, do to ample opportunities, similar QoLiving, and accessible to South Denver (where most of CO IT 'office based' workers are located). There are some GREAT companies and opportunities for IT in Co Springs (AND it is MUCH closer to CO recreation opportunities). A benefit for FoCo is the proximity to WY recreation. (my preference... I don't do crowds and stoplights and such).

If FoCo is your 'must-have' choice, I'd be banging on doors of places that NEED IT help, but are not advertising for help. There are MANY.

Do you have a 'niche'? (Hopefully not Systems / UX / LX, as there are TOP NOTCH folks in those fields 'sacking groceries' in FoCo). I know MANY who have been out of high tech jobs in NoCo for decades, and they are NOT leaving the area. (and they remain VERY competent / active in employment search).

Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,470 times
Default wanting to move to colorado

I my self want to move to colorado Ft Collins. but im a little worried about the jobs there. i am a certified nursing assistant, and im looking for a one bed room apartment because its just me. but i love the out doors that is why i wanted to move there to really start over. can someone give me some insite on what im looking foward to plz...

Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,087 times
Jse2015,
I'd monitor Dice.com for job listings in addition to Craigslist and Career Builder. Dice specializes in IT jobs, and is where I found my FTC IT job.
M.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
The IT market in Fort Collins is pretty scant compared to Denver/Boulder and Colorado Springs.

A good question to ask is what happens if you lose that job? There's a very real chance you could be long-term unemployed/underemployed or forced to make a really crappy commute to Denver for work.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee40 View Post
I my self want to move to colorado Ft Collins. but im a little worried about the jobs there. i am a certified nursing assistant, and im looking for a one bed room apartment because its just me. but i love the out doors that is why i wanted to move there to really start over. can someone give me some insite on what im looking foward to plz...
Most LTC facilities are owned by Columbine health care systems. Not the most lucrative job but it is what I did when I first moved to FC and it looks like they have several openings for CNA's. http://www.columbinehealth.com/emplo..._open_list.pdf

If you want to work in PVH or Banner hospitals as a CNA there is alot of competion

Old 08-25-2012, 06:09 AM

48 posts, read 230,831 times
I agree with MeeBo635, Dice.com is a good site for I.T. Have you also tried Linked In and Simply Hired? I've been in I.T. for over 30 years and Dice is about the best. It also has a lot to do with which area you specialize in. I've been in midrange using RPG for the majority of my career.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 16,961 times
Hi. One other suggestion is to go to the websites of the various IT companies in Fort Collins and see if they have any openings. Most companies have a "Jobs/Careers" section on their sites. Or call them. That's how I got my job. I didn't go through any third party site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area