U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,463 times

Advertisements

Hmm.. the climate is awesome! Summers are dry but hot. Winters also dry but mild. The nedical industry is very strong here - I don't know about heavy equipment. You really don't have to worry about crtitters here. There are ticks and mosquitoes, some rattlesnakes, but theya re shy. Same with bears and mountain lions. In fact, you would be lucky to see either of them. The
Poudre River winds its way all the way from the mountains through town, and is the heart of this community. It is the only designated wild and scenic river in Colorado, if you can believe that. It can be crowded, but also very tranquil. The kids at the college are very rowdy, but mostly localized to within a mile of the college. Let me know if you have other questions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 PM

66 posts, read 388,641 times
Thank you ekg! Do you see construction going on in and around Fort Collins?

Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM

66 posts, read 464,081 times
Hello City girl,

The medical field is opening up. The newest regional facility is the Medical Center of the Rockies, located off of I-25 in Loveland, which is 15 minutes south of Fort Collins. It is scheduled to open in the spring of '07. They are hiring now.

The commercial industry is hot right now in Northern Colorado. We are hoping that the residential side of real estate will follow suit in 1 - 2 years. There is lots of development going on up and down the front range. Have your husband check with Connell Resources, Inc. at (970) 223-3151 to get there input on needs of heavy equipment operators (they do quite a bit of earth work around here for large projects).

The weather can change on a dime. This past Saturday was in the high 70's to low 80's. Yesterday, the foothills just west of Loveland and Fort Collins got a dusting of snow. Temperature is supposed to be back up to low 60's by Saturday. Summers are typically dry and warm, with end of July and August being hot (90's, some 100's). Winters are mild with very little snow. Any snow is usually gone in a couple of days. Spring snows can be wet and big, and may happen once or twice anytime from March through April.

Bugs are a non-issue. Mosquitos are the biggest pest, and both Fort Collins and Loveland have programs in place to keep them at bay. Tics are normally found in the higher elevations (they don't like hot weather). Any hiking should be followed up with a body inspection to ensure that none have hitched a ride with you. Rattlers can be found in the foothills, but human encounters are very rare. A stray bear may come down to both cities in the early fall in search of food, but is rare. Mountain lions will stay in the foothills and mountains.

The Poudre river has several areas where rafting and kayaking can be enjoyed by water enthusiasts. The spring runnoff can create some good rapids. This takes place further up the canyon, northwest of Fort Collins.

There isn't a lot of rowdiness associated with the CSU students. Some will congregate in the old town and downtown area, which isn't too far from campus.

Any more questions?

Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM

293 posts, read 810,897 times
Default Wind

A further climate question please ... how is the wind, or perhaps better stated, is there much wind, especially in the winter? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM

Thank you NCREA!!! I really appreciate your input. I am surprised to hear the temps get up in the 90's and 100's in the summer. Does that happen often? I have heard the high temps are in the mid 80's to 90's there in summer. We get the 90's to 110's+ here in Riverside California where I live and I am just sick of it. Our summer is from May to Oct. We are finally in the 80's and I am so happy.

I am such a chicken about the bears and mountain lions. Do they go in the neighborhoods? Have their ever been incidences where people were hurt or killed by wildlife in the area?

Do you enjoy living there?
If si have you ever lived anywhere else?

Thank you for all your help!!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:37 PM

66 posts, read 464,081 times
Summer weather. It does not hit the 100's very often. Normally, June is in the 70's; July 80's; August 80's and some 90's. It is windy in the spring, with some wind in the winter. As weather fronts move through the area (usually over the mountains), winds will occur as a result, and gusts will be strong enough to break tree limbs from time to time.

I have not heard of mountain lions coming down into the city limits. Loveland had a small black bear visit the Woodward Governor/GE facility northwest of town a month ago. It hung out in a tree for a day or so, got some press in the local newspaper. It finally left of its own free will. Elk will follow the Big Thompson river down from the foothills in the fall once in a while and forage in a pasture southwest of town. It's cool to see them. I wouldn't sweat the bears and mountain lions. They really are a non-issue.

My wife is a native Coloradoan, as is her dad. I've lived here since the 60's and love it. Never have had a desire to move or live anywhere else. We have raised our children here; one is recently married and now lives an hour to the south; and we still have two at home, a freshman and junior in high school.

Colorado is very recreational oriented. Major ski resort areas are 2 hours away west of Denver. Fishing, boating, skiing, golf, biking, hiking etc., are all close by.

Housing market has a lot to offer, both in new construction and existing resale. Excess inventory and low demand has created a buyer's market. I can get you more information on housing if you wish.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 AM

NCREA you are so wonderful to come her and help us with our questions. Thank you so much.

I have been looking at homes online throught thegroupinc.com. It is a great site! The prices of houses are amazing to me!!! I have seen some beautiful homes from 150k to 200k. You would never see that here. A Decent house of that caliber here starts around 400k. Thank you so much for your help.

My main concern is my husbands profession. I am going to look in to that company your told me about. My husband and I are planning to visit Fort Collins in February or March. I have heard March snows the most? Which month do you recommend we come? We plan on looking at the house and job market. And of course we will be visiting a pub or 2 lol.

Thank you!

Old 10-11-2006, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,527 times
hey city girl i lived in ft. collins for a long time, and i have been all aroumd the entire city. yes you will find a job in the medical field. there is a company called lafarg in ft. collins and they build roads and ect. there are always hiring so your husband will be fine.
the summers are beautiful it is colorful with many parks consisting of ponds, bike paths that lead to other parts of the city. there is a lake in ft. collins and the fishing is great with large boating areas and places to swim.the winters are snowy but there is ski resorts and many places to sight see.it is unexplainable in how beautiful it is.
the animal problem is not major at all as long as you dont harm them.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM

Thank you Andrew! I am planning a visit there sometime bewteen Feb and May. I can't wait!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:22 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,993,959 times
How is the cost of living around the Fort Collins area? What is the housing market like and what is the best place to check into housing?
We live in Minnesota and it is very low cost of living here, just want to make sure we can make it work by living out west. Our house here could sell for around $75,000 to $80,000, I am sure things are different out west.
How is the housing market from finding a home at that price on up to $100,000? Our taxes here are high, I don't know what it is like out there.
If you can give me any infomation on any of this you can e-mail me at rdtbrandsoy@web-room.net Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area