U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:47 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,726,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessame10 View Post

If you are banking on your wife's potential RN income, be careful. I am an RN and I can tell you that the job market for them is pretty competitive in FC and all over northern colorado. I know this is contrary to what you hear about the 'nationwide nursing shortage' but, like you, alot of RN's want relocate here from elsewhere for the 'quality of life' and the factors that you listed. It is especially hard to get RN jobs if you don't have prior experience - the local cc's are pumping out more of them than the local hospitals want to hire. Right now, PVHS (both hospitals) is on a hiring freeze. When they opened MCR they overanticipated the number of pt's. they would have and hired more nurses than they needed.
That is very interesting. It has been my experience in 27 yrs of living in CO, that the nursing job market is not the same as in other parts of the country. Yes, you can find jobs. I have had several, and I am employed now. Depending on how picky you are, what your experience is, and a lot of other factors, it can take days to months. If you have prior experience, it may not be what a particular employer is looking for. And believe me, they can find someone who has more experience than you (or me), no matter what they are looking for. The Denver area is probably better job-wise than Ft. Collins, Boulder, etc b/c they have the teaching hospitals and more jobs are available per capita.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 06:09 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,849,151 times
My husband is a nurse with 5 years of ICU experience. We are considering relocating to Fort Collins again (we lived there 10 years ago when we were both in school). Originally, we considered Boulder, but with the cost of housing, and the shortage of jobs we have eliminated it from our list. Now it sounds as though Fort Collins may be just as difficult with jobs. Does anyone have an idea as to how long it would take for him to get a nursing job in Fort Collins? Again, he has 5 years of ICU experience at Level I and II trauma centers. He has a B.S. in Science from CSU, as well as a BSN from Mesa State.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea as to how long it would take for him to get a nursing job in Fort Collins?
Well, if the hospital has a hiring freeze, probably quite a while. Sometimes exceptions are made in these freezes. I would say hubby would be better off looking in Denver.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, if the hospital has a hiring freeze, probably quite a while. Sometimes exceptions are made in these freezes. I would say hubby would be better off looking in Denver.
Thanks for your help Pittnurse. Fortunately we are not looking at moving until this summer, so maybe the hiring freeze will lift. While we have considered Denver, I am not sure I am ready for the big city. I grew up in Aurora and would never move back there. We have lived in small cities for almost 14 years, with the exception of 4 months in Seattle and 3 months in Simi Valley while my husband did the travel nurse thing. We are in Grand Junction right now, and like the size of the community, but not the community itself. Denver just seems too large for us. We are also considering Bend, OR and Missoula, MT, but I have reservations about leaving Colorado (I am a 6th generation Coloradoan). We wil continue to keep our eyes and ears peeled (and our fingers crossed) for Ft. Collins or Boulder (if we strike it rich )!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:00 PM

You could try one of the outlying suburbs of Denver, e.g. Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield, etc on the north or Castle Rock, Park and so forth down south. There are hospitals in/near all those communities.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You could try one of the outlying suburbs of Denver, e.g. Louisville, Lafayette, Broomfield, etc on the north or Castle Rock, Park and so forth down south. There are hospitals in/near all those communities.
Most of those suburbs don't interest us, mostly because they are suburbs. How is Louisville though? Is it relatively close to Boulder (I can't remember)? Does it have its own community feel, or does it feel like a suburb? I guess that is what I hated about Aurora. I never felt a sense of community there. I hated the traffic too!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Most of those suburbs don't interest us, mostly because they are suburbs. How is Louisville though? Is it relatively close to Boulder (I can't remember)? Does it have its own community feel, or does it feel like a suburb? I guess that is what I hated about Aurora. I never felt a sense of community there. I hated the traffic too!
Yes, Louisville has a great sense of community. Lots of community festivals, the biggest being the Labor Day Weekend Fall Festival. Parade of Lights in December, Taste of Louisville, Italian Festival (summer), big 4th of July city picnic with FREE food and fireworks at night. Cute downtown with coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, public library, hairdressers, etc. Outdoor ice rink in the winter. Not a lot of traffic. It does have a hospital (Avista) and is close to the hospitals in Boulder, Lafayette (Exempla), St. Anthony's N. in Federal Hts and others.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:55 AM

38 posts, read 135,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
My husband is a nurse with 5 years of ICU experience. We are considering relocating to Fort Collins again (we lived there 10 years ago when we were both in school). Originally, we considered Boulder, but with the cost of housing, and the shortage of jobs we have eliminated it from our list. Now it sounds as though Fort Collins may be just as difficult with jobs. Does anyone have an idea as to how long it would take for him to get a nursing job in Fort Collins? Again, he has 5 years of ICU experience at Level I and II trauma centers. He has a B.S. in Science from CSU, as well as a BSN from Mesa State.
having experience will help him alot in getting a job. As pittnurse said, it depends on how picky he is. I think it is somewhat easier to get hired with Banner Health who runs the hospitals in Greeley and Loveland, than it is PVH. Both towns are close enough for commuting.

I do work for PVH and haven't heard when they will begin hiring again. I know my unit is fully staffed, don't know about the other units or MCR. Overall, I can tell you that PVH doesn't have much trouble attracting and retaining nurses, they have a fairly low attrition rate.

What i was eluding to in my PP, all the nursing schools in the area have increased (doubled) the number of students they admit every year. I'm doubtful the area hospitals can absorb as many 'new grads' as they are pumping out.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessame10 View Post

What i was eluding to in my PP, all the nursing schools in the area have increased (doubled) the number of students they admit every year. I'm doubtful the area hospitals can absorb as many 'new grads' as they are pumping out.
They are waiting for all us "boomers" to retire. Which we are doing, but slowly. I have to put a second kid through college before I can think about that!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,630 times
Default Retiring to Ft. Collins-need feed back

I am looking to buy a home by June in this area. I am in California now and have forgotten what snow is like. Do you think this would be a good place for a single person to spend retirement years. All feed back is welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or