U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Fort Collins. We have three children 13, 11, and 9. We have a home based business, so jobs are not an issue. How does the city appeal to a family as opposed to college students? In what ways is the city growing to rapidly? We are originally from the Gulf Coast , but have been living in the bay area for 7 years. I am concerned about the climate. I am not acclimated to being in cold weather. How does it feel on the winter days? When does it change to warmer weather? How many months does it stay cold typically? I am a runner and I run mornings. Is it too cold to get out early? Do you like/dislike living in FC, and why? Thank you so much for any responses!

Last edited by andrea carter; 01-28-2008 at 11:33 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,843,341 times
Andrea Here is a response to your questions. Hope this helps.

How does the city appeal to a family as opposed to college students?
I think there is a good balance between the two. There are many college students around but it seems like they keep to their own areas of the town. There is plenty family oriented activities for you and your kids. Take for instance the Budweiser Events Center always has family shows like Finding Nemo on Ice which will be here in March.

In what ways is the city growing to rapidly? Right now the building has slown down with the economy the way it is. In the last couple of years we have seen a greater increase of commercial building and a fairly steady residential growth. There has been improvements in shopping, food, etc.
We are originally from the Gulf Coast , but have been living in the bay area for 7 years. I am concerned about the climate. I am not acclimated to being in cold weather. How does it feel on the winter days? One word COLD. The past several weeks have been anywhere from -15 to 50 F. The humidity is low here compared to eastern Colorado and southern states. I find the weather here a little nicer than those areas. Overall I like the weather here but I have never lived on the Gulf Coast either. It might take you a little bit to get use to the cold.
When does it change to warmer weather? Depends on what you consider warmer. By the end of Feb early March it is usually what I would consider nicer. If it snows around that time it is usually gone by the end of the day. (unless it is a blizzard then it takes a little bit.)
How many months does it stay cold typically? There is cooler weather starting around September through early March. At least it feels like it to me.
I am a runner and I run mornings. Is it too cold to get out early? Some mornings yes, the last couple of mornings it has been in the high 30's low 40's. I do not like running in any kind of cold but it might be ok to you. Again this would depend on the time of year. There is nothing like an early morning run in the spring!!!
Do you like/dislike living in FC, and why? [/quote] I love living here. It feels like home. I have two great jobs and wonderful friends here. It is also close to my family in eastern Colorado. There is plenty to do here and I stay active. The scenery is amazing also. So those are my reasons for loving it here.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,812,204 times
Tom's assessment of the weather is pretty accurate. You should also check the "Front Range Weather Thread" (can be found in one of the indices that Mike From Back East did) and the City-Data weather information. You will find links to many weather websites in the weather thread.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,487 times
Hello! I actually LIVE in Waterglen, and we have enjoyed it a lot. It is not as "far away" from town as some might think. In fact, I can make it to the Super Walmart in less than 10 minutes, or hop on I 25 and get to Harmony in the same amount of time. The neighborhood is largely young families and retired couples. The houses are affordable--hard to find in Fort Collins. The only drawback that we have experienced is the lack of basements. But we are from Texas, where there are no basements, so it isn't a luxury that we were familiar with. We are selling our house now, but only because our family has outgrown it.
There are a lot of houses for sale in Waterglen right now, and of course, there are foreclosures--as in nearly every neighborhood in the country. It is a good time to buy out here to get a deal. We have even thought about keeping our current house as a rental and buying another house out here to rent out as well. Check in to the neighborhood before dismissing it! We have been pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:14 PM

169 posts, read 631,263 times
Andrea ,

I'll step in and say that I too am from the Gulf South - the New Orleans, LA area to be exact. We (my wife and I) moved to Ft Collins about 6 months after hurricane Katrina hit. Regarding the weather, if you compare the gulf south (LA,MS,AL, etc) to this area you are basically trading the hot, humid, summers for colder much less humid winters. Personally, I prefer the winters here in CO to the summers in the Gulf South. Before moving here I never realized a person could actually go outside in the summer and not be soaked in sweat after 5 minutes . Heck perspiration, and shade works here in CO (thank you low humidity ). It really depends on what you consider cold. I think that the 30s/20s here in Ft Collins with low humidity are preferable to the humid 40s/50s common in the Southern winters. Yes there are days when it is damn cold ( ), but with the plethora of sunshine the winter days are in general "nice" more than not very nice. You really do not get a whole lot of gray, dreary winter days here and the snow does not linger on the ground as it does in other northern climates.

I think the best thing to do would be to visit here in the winter and spend about a week or so seeing if it will work for you. Make it a vacation and go see the sights of the area - you'll also get a glimpse of the climate. IMO even though it is colder in the winter it really makes you appreciate summer/fall - and vice versa. After being here a few years, I find at the end of the summer I welcome fall/winter for the change and at the end of winter I am ready for spring/summer... Of course maybe this is b/c it is the first time I've ever seena true 4 season climate - if you are from the Gulf South you know what I mean Either way, best of luck to you...

BTW I agree with Tom - I love it here. If it were not for family in the Gulf South to visit, I would never go back - the quality of life is vastly superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or