U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

Its hard to get perspective from students who don't attend the University of Northern Colorado. I am currently a junior at UNC and I love it here. I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I know there are a lot of comments about our business and let me just tell you that we are the only university to have the Malcome Baldrigde National Quality Award. It was given to us by the president of the united states office and was presented to us by the vice president of the united states in 2004. Other companies that have the same award are Ritz Carlton, Motorola, 3M, and many more. We have an excellent business school. As for what to do in Greeley I have never gotten board here. There's a bowling ally a block from campus, we have the Colony Civic Center if your interested in seeing shows. We have so many restaurants that have amazing food. One of my favorites is Roma's. There's an ice skating rink, there's always sports games going on that student get into for free. There is the Greeley mall that has a great coffee shop inside. There paint ball, tons of parks, coffee shops, etc. I know you mentioned your not much for night life but there are lots of places to go during the late hours. We have Whiskey River, Sky night club, Cactus canyon, we have the Library, which is a new bar that just open up. That's not even touching on all the stuff to do on campus. As for the bus system we have a great bus system. Its called the Even- Greeley Transit, and it goes all over Greeley. All student get to ride for free with their student pass. We also have a nigh bus that runs from 9p.m. to 2a.m. to get to places for the night life. So if you want to heard more about what to do in Greeley let me know cause I am a fountain of information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
I am a current student at UNC (senior baby!!!!) I have also worked for the office of admissions for 4 years now and i am completely in love with UNC and its community!!!! Let me tell you there is more than cow watching/tipping in greeley! The town has around 100,000 residents so it is a legit city; with malls, resturants and other business that cater to UNC students. UNC even puts on a ton of events that are free and fun!! I always go to open mic nght every other monday in our University Center! its soo much fun! its catered by starbucks and their is always good music, good laughs and just a good time!!!!!!! also all of our sporting events are free and the games are so fun watch! school spirit is HUGE here!! you can def tell its a game day by the amount of BLUE and GOLD you see on campus!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
Default Out of State and Loving Greeley

I am an out of state student at UNC and could not have chosen a more supportive community to have for the four years I will be in college. The Greeley community really puts forth a huge effort to make sure the UNC students feel at home here. They have what is called OBA (Operation Bear Aware) at most of the local resturants and stores and you can sign up to win things from each of these businesses. It's location is also perfect, not only is our campus stunning but if you can't find anything to do in Greeley, we are located about an hour from Denver and the mountains and twently mins from Fort Collins and some awesome outlet malls.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM

12,219 posts, read 21,920,890 times
I hope you guys are not the same person cus its very odd that you would all sign up on the same day for the same thread. Let me be clear I am not saying you are cus maybe the word just got out so you are all showing school spirit and if so that's great just unusual.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM

7,773 posts, read 17,432,278 times
Same thought in my mind Josseppie! Great minds think alike, or perhaps we both have suspicious minds.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM

22,473 posts, read 41,368,937 times
The lowly and truly disgusting moderator for these COLO forums determined from the start that our new posters from UNC and Greeley are not sock puppet accounts, unlike some others I'm aware of, unless they're using a certain sophisticated piece of software....don't ask.

Meanwhile, glad to see Malcolm Baldrige mentioned. We used his criteria to measure our Army agency and found it to be highly useful stuff.

So Greeleyites, where's the best BBQ/Ribs in your town?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
I go to school here and at first I was concerned too! I'm from the Denver area and had been prone to cabin fever in smaller towns. Surprisingly I love it here. The best thing about Greeley are the hidden gems you have to hear about in order to find. Zoes coffee shop is for sure my favorite spot. I can go at any hour of the day and always see someone I know to chat with! Another good thing about the community in general is that I have made better connections here than I think I would have in a bigger school. With not as much to "do" if you will you are given the challenge of making your own fun. Pretty much if you plug yourself into a solid community of people you will always have fun purely because you are with friends.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,614 times
Just to clarify the discussion on business colleges, UNC does have in fact one of the top business colleges from across the nation. Starting with the most prestigious award, the Monfort College of Business won the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality award in 2004. This award is from the office of the President of the United States, and the Monfort College of Business is the first and only business college to receive this award. We received this because our students the Monfort offers top-quality business education at a great value. In fact, our students have consistently placed in the top 4% to 10% percentile over the past decade on National Standardized Exit Exams, with our students graduating in the 2011-2012 academic actually being the ones who have placed in that top 4%. The Monfort College of Business differs from most business colleges as it offers only one major: a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. However, you then choose an emphasis area: Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Management, Computer Information Systems, or General Business. As for myself, I’m a senior Business Administration major with an emphasis in Finance. Another way we differ is the Monfort College of Business chooses to remain an undergraduate business program (except we do have a Master’s in Accounting due to the fact it’s becoming a national law that Certified Public Accountants must have 150 credits, instead of a normal undergraduate degree of 120 credits.) The reason the Monfort chooses to remain an undergraduate program is because they really want to focus on their students and offer them everything a graduate business program would. For example, one of the Finance courses is a Student and Foundation Fund class where a team of students invest $1,000,000 of real money, yes I said real, in whatever they decide as a class. In 2011, this class actually won first place at the Global Asset Management Education competition against students in graduate programs from over 24 different countries. Another course consist of a Marketing class where they make a national marketing campaign for well-known companies; this year it’s State Farm and Wells Fargo. For management, there’s a class where they go out and counsel small business in our community. It’s these real-world courses that will make you stand out. As for Accounting, both are undergraduate and graduate programs are accredited by AACSB. We also hold this accreditation for our one major: Business Administration. Only the top business colleges in the nation are accredited by the AACSB. Last, our Computer Information Systems students have a 98% employment rate upon graduation. As added bonuses, we have a Business Learning Community where all freshman business students can choose to live together on the same floor in one of our resident halls, free tutoring, an average class size of 31 students, study abroad programs designed just for our students, and a career services counselor for just the business students to help with landing any job or internship you want. Last, our school really focuses on three components: (1) High Touch: small classes taught on an interactive basis, (2) Wide Tech: exposure to a wide array of business technologies, and (3) Professional Depth: instruction from seasoned professors, including highly-placed executives.

Oh and as for our namesake, the Monfort College of Business was first funded by Kenneth Monfort, and to this day, his sons, one of which, Dick Monfort, is an alumni of the Monfort College of Business, continue to fund our college, which gives us hundreds of thousands of money that goes to scholarships as well as the latest and greatest technology. Did I mention they are also co-owners of the Colorado Rockies?

As for myself, I’m a senior Business Administration major with an emphasis in Finance. My experience here has been nothing but the best. I have professors who truly care about my education and my future goals. They know me on a personal level and have always done their best to help me achieve in any situation. I really couldn’t have asked for anything better from my time here. In May, upon graduation, I will proudly say I am an alumni of the Monfort College of Business and of the University of Northern Colorado. If I could go back and change anything, I wouldn’t. I’m glad I chose UNC, and as the Denver Post said, “The Monfort College of Business is Colorado’s best kept secret.” Well, it’s not a secret anymore, it’s a treasure.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,252 times
Greeley, is of course not the size and scale of the busier Fort Collins and doesn't have quite the variety of attractions/hang-out spots/restaurants but that doesn't mean it has none...I would say it has a cool mix of places but just not the volume of places. Cool coffeeshops like the recently renovated Blue Mug @ Margies; CrVsh Room; Crabtree Brewery (Recently relocated and awesome!); Kress Cinema (indie theatre/restaurant); Patrick's Pub; Jaegar (Excellent late night pizza and live comedians/music); Rio (excellent hang-out spot and Tex-mex food); and many more! Some awesome parks and a very cool trails system that goes along the Poudre River. The smell comes and goes...This is slightly more ruralish area and so the surrounding areas have farms/feedlots...big deal...it's not that bad. Of course, like any community, Greeley has some bad spots on the north and far east side, but you're safer here than Denver. All in all, sure it's not a place where every one wants to make a home forever, but there are plenty of options and UNC is an awesome school!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,097 times
A lot of peole still think of Greeley as a small town, but it's grown and matured quite a bit. 96,000 population and growing. Glad to see UNC students got the word that there were info gaps in this thread and filled them in. Moderator asked about best BBQ in town. it's Peace Pit BBQ on 8th Ave just a few blocks from campus. They've been winning awards for their chicken, pork, brisket in Colorado and other states. you can find them on facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area