Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,027 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Loveland within the next year. Will probably be looking for a $200,000 - $235.000 house. Would appreciate any advice on neighborhoods to check out. Like most people I would like a safe, quiet area. Additionally, I will be moving from a rural area in the Missouri Ozarks so I know I will miss the large trees and greenery that I am used to (but am looking forward to the mountains and lack of humidity.) I am also an active gardener, nature lover and a person who loves to go on long walks.

I've been to Loveland a couple of times, but it was a few years ago. My general (and perhaps inaccurate) impression is that the NE area is not for me (very nice, but newer with less mature landscaping.) The area near downtown had a lot of character, but the lots seemed smaller. The area near Campion had a lot of trees and a semi-rural feel that I liked, but I seem to recall that it didn't seem like as nice an area. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Specifically I would like to know:

1) Areas to avoid (although it seems that Loveland has a relatively low crime rate.)

2) Areas with mature trees and fairly large lots. (Perhaps even semi-rural or rural areas near Loveland)

3) I notice railroad tracks through the middle of town. Are they used a lot.... is noise a factor if you live within earshot?

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
The north-south railroad tracks through town are used regularly and you can expect some noise from the required sounding of the horns at the crossings. It is disturbing at first, but it is something you get used to. The trains run through town a few times a day, but not constantly.

The area south-west of town and on the west side has some larger lots and a "rural" feel. North-central Loveland has several homes on lots between .25 and .5 acres. Specific neighborhoods that have more mature landscaping include Ridgeview and Lakecrest.

You might consider renting for a while when you first get here to get a feel for town. This will allow you to explore and help you decide on your favorite part of town before purchasing. If you don't wish to move twice, there are many good real estate professionals in our area that could discuss your specific home needs and desires and then help you find the right direction in your search.

Good luck!
Mike Weber

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM

307 posts, read 980,923 times
Greetings! I moved to this area from the Ozarks as well. A small town outside of Springfield. Anyway, the areas southwest and west would probably be best. If you can bend on the lot size, the downtown area has lots of beautiful historic homes with a "midwestern" feel to them. If land is vital, then stay south of town or west. There are lots of farms to the southeast and there may be some rural properties in that area. Very agricultural, however not as many trees. Lack of trees will be a shock, as well as lack of green, but since you've been here, you already know. I know a few folks from Missouri in Loveland, and it does have the most midwestern feel of most towns in northern Colorado, so you may really like it.

I dont know if you ever got a chance to look into a smaller community called Berthoud, about 5-10 miles south of Loveland. Very beautiful, quaint, QUIET, farming, more trees and rural properties as well as a lovely historic district. You may want to look into that too. Loveland, is growing as is the whole area. Since you are more used to rural southern MO, you may like Berthoud better.

Good luck, and welcome to northern Colorado.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Mike -

Thanks for your info. I was planning on renting first, but like you said, I hate the idea of moving twice. However, it might be worth it to make sure I am buying in an area that I like. I also might visit next Spring and try to get set up with a real estate agent then. If I could get enough of a feel for the different areas on my next visit I might be comfortable trying to buy something "long distance".

Countryway -

Thank you for your advice. I live about 90 miles SE from Springfield.I actually lived in New Mexico for many years before moving to Missouri, so I think Loveland might seem like a happy medium. I am somewhat familiar with Berthoud and will check it out again on my next visit. How long have you been in Loveland? Do you still miss the green?

Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Sure, You Can't forget to check out Berthoud "Garden Spot of Colorado" Graced the city signage during my childhood.

I prefer these areas of loveland:
along Garfield 4th to 29th (but RR nearby)
West to Colorado Ave (middle of south side of lake)

Most ideal is W 11th St between Garfield and Colorado. (I had a place there, OMG, Beautiful peaceful HUGE lot. AND an Irrigation ditch !!!)
I had a monster lot on Kirkview Park too (mtn View Dr) bit noisy due to traffic, but REALLY nice neighborhood 30 yrs ago...

West of Downtown Near the Westside Park and near First Baptist (Near Memeorial Hospital, now a senior HIGH end apartment joint)

Soils vary quite a bit. My friend down in SW (near BF Kitchen Elementary) had to use Raised beds, but we added about 40# of coffee grounds / week, so he ended up with a superb garden. Berthoud probably has MUCH better soils.

You can get a county soil profile map and temp and rainfall map from most County Extension services. Join Master Gardeners, and you gain a wealth of assistance and friends.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM

StealthRabbit -

Thanks for your response. I was a Master Gardener in NM when I lived there, so that is definitely something I would check out in Colorado. (:

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Whoops forgot to mention the 'Walkable'. Areas.. Really the most ez one is near west Safeway (34 (W Eisenhower) and Wilson). Also decent places around Westlake center (34 (W Eisenhower) and Taft) You might find some 55+ rentals about 3 blks south and on east side (another nice area is across the street near Catholic Church)

Downtown Safeway is between 2 busy streets. So you need to cross ONE of them..

Nice walks are around Lake Loveland, Or if you put-up over by old hospital, there is a trail along Big T river. I grew up with a PERFECT veiw of the Devil's Backbone. We placed our house so we could see throught the 'Keyhole' from the kitchen table. Was pretty nice at the time (no houses)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area