U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 33,003 times

Advertisements

People of Fort Collins:
Help me understand your ways of driving. I am utterly perplexed, however, I am also from the Northeast, where we drive, well, differently, and arguably more aggressively.
Why, when I am turning onto Harmony Rd., where the speed limit is 50-55mph, are people driving 30mph? Why does it take a mile for many of you to accelerate when you turn onto Harmony, when you only max out at 35-40? Why doesn't anyone GO THE SPEED LIMIT in Fort Collins? I don't get it. Why do people drive like it's a blizzard when it's only raining or flurrying snow?
Why do people drive 20-30 mph on Timberline, when the speed limit is 40-45mph? It is very dangerous to drive like this. Sometimes I'll be doing 50 on Harmony, when someone will pull out in front of me only to drive at 25mph. This is not safe. The speed limits are in place for a reason.
I'll admit this is very frustrating for me, but the real reason I am posting this is because I want to hear some feedback as to reasons why people drive like this? Is it because no one is in a rush to get anywhere? Is it because my perspective is skewed, being from the Northeast? I think it is Colorado, in general, not just Fort Collins. Please, I want to understand you. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:38 PM

3,807 posts, read 5,032,507 times
We had another thread discussing this a few days ago, here is the link.
Does Fort Collins have a TRAFFIC plan?

Overall as I said in the previous thread, I think it is a combination of too many traffic lights/ stops throughout much of the town, it is hard to accelerate to 50 miles an hour knowing you will be hitting the breaks in less then a quarter mile. Too hard on my brakes, now you get me on I-25 and I usually travel about 5-7 over the limit.

I have also been told by some other people who consistently refuse to accelerate at a reasonable rate, and refuse to do the speed limit, that they do it to conserve gas. Personally I think it is bull****, but what can you do.

Now the snow and rain problem, I think a lot of that has to do with so many transplants from Texas and California not having much experience driving in our weather. Also the 10s of thousands young college students that do not have much driving experience period, personally it drives me nuts, if someone is that scared to drive they need to stay off the road in that weather. As I have been told by driving instructors, people driving deathly scared are among the worst drivers out there.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM

12,222 posts, read 22,129,218 times
I went to college at CSU FC and I always thought people in Fort Collins drove slow and more like you find in small towns not cities. I am from Pueblo, the city is a tad smaller then Fort Collins, yet we drive much faster. My advise is get use to it they won't change.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM

99 posts, read 203,322 times
I lived in Detroit where people were ticketed on the highway if they drove the speed limit because they were blocking traffic. (It was expected that you should drive faster than the speed limit to keep traffic moving smoothly.)

In Fort Collins, it seems to me like many people drive about 5 mph below the speed limit, except in residential areas and on Shields and Laport where people regularly drive 5 - 10 mph above the speed limit. I have no idea why that is except that more CSU students live on the north end of town and I suspect that age group tends to drive faster than most of the rest of town.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 PM

566 posts, read 1,794,692 times
Couldn't agree more with the gripes about slow drivers. They accelerate from lights so slowly I actually scream to myself at times. And they drive way under the limit side-by-side. It's as though they have nothing to do with their lives. No where to go, no urgency and all the day to get there. A lot of them are older drivers - I cut them some slack. The ones that really bug me are people on cell phones driving completely unaware that they are holding up traffic. And I must say that the worst ones are women.

Got the learn to calm down and not let it get to me. But hard to do. Came from a metropolitan area where people have a sense of urgency and are just better drivers.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,657,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootmeg View Post
I lived in Detroit where people were ticketed on the highway if they drove the speed limit because they were blocking traffic. (It was expected that you should drive faster than the speed limit to keep traffic moving smoothly.)
I and my family members, all of whom live about Detroit, have never had such an experience or heard of such. It's quite the opposite in our experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinkalya View Post
Why doesn't anyone GO THE SPEED LIMIT...
It's a limit, not a minimum. And the danger, if any, is created by those who don't drive as if this is a possibility. It's not the responsibility of other drivers to keep an eye to their rearview mirrors and accommodate your driving unless they're in a passing lane.

You're operating a machine whose type kills and maims many people. If you're trying to make your driving experience more relaxed, then you're trying to create an environment that promotes less conscientious drivers.

If you find that a person driving below the speed limit is such a terrible frustration, then I think that you should give serious thought to your priorities. When you're driving, driving safely and responsibly should be your goal, and getting to your destination shouldn't be a concern because it'll just follow from good driving.

Use your drive time to improve your powers of concentration and respect for others.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,086 posts, read 45,179,135 times
"Use your drive time to improve your powers of concentration and respect for others."

Having had to attend to driving deaths and notification of kin in many places, including Ft Collins... ^^^consider the above.^^^
There are many people of differing skills, vehicle maint and servicability, and mental clarity on the road. If you have not be crashed into by one of them... thank your lucky stars, and give them a wide berth.

Ft Collins recently got me with Photo Radar on a very lightly traveled road, so...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 PM

21 posts, read 34,375 times
Yeah, I've noticed that whenever you try to get somewhere in Fort Collins, it takes forever to get across town because everyone is driving at least five under the speed limit. For a town of that size, the time it can take to get from one edge to the heart of town is ridiculous; as a comparison, I can go twice the distance in the Denver metro area in moderate traffic in about the same amount of time because the traffic is faster.

The chronically slow drivers just compounds the problems with congestion that the city faces.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 AM

12 posts, read 46,927 times
Well, my 95 buick skylark accelerates slow and I baby the vehicle anyway, so if you are behind me, sorry. I do agree it seems to take a while getting across town. I went to best buy today and hit 10/12 lights, aleas seems to happen. Once I'm up to speed I'm usually 5 over.

I will let off the gas and coast to red lights, people don't seem to like that.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,320,083 times
There is a simple solution to all of these complaints. Ride a bike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area