Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM

14 posts, read 29,172 times

Advertisements

Looking for a fresh start and have picked Colorado. Now I just need to pick the city but since I have never been to the area its tough...

*I am an EMT-B. I do plan to continue my education in this field. Hoping to find work where the commute is less than 30 minutes.

*3 kids kinder-3rd grade. Need to find a great school that has accelerated learning programs for my 8 y/o wiz kid.

*They also need a good pediatrician that can handle ADHD stuff.

*hoping for an affordable apartment to start off in. We will be surviving off their dad's VA disability pay at first which is not much.

I am a hippie by nature and tend to get along with everyone, however......
I am not fond of the spanish speaking, less than legal crowd. I do not want to live in an area with alot of hispanics and heard I may want to avoid Greeley...

I am not too worried about crime, from what I have read and heard the worst neighborhood are nothing compared to Vegas or SoCal and I have lived in both. Currently live in Jacksonville, NC which I regard as my personal hell. Can't wait to get away but we have to sell our house first...

I look forward to and appreciate any input on which town/area would be good for me and my kids.
Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Based on the information provided I think you'll prefer Fort Collins.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 PM

16 posts, read 37,540 times
You would probably prefer fort collins, but based on your budget you'll want to live in Loveland, Wellington, or a low income complex. If you have such a problem with Hispanics, you should probably just stay out of Colorado. I don't know a single "less than legal" citizen and quite a few speak Spanish.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to troll's remarks.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
consider Sheridan, Wy or Sturgis / Spearfish SD. VA medical nearby, and nice places and decent schools.

Colorado will be too brown for U.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
I do not understand how anybody can choose a place to live that they have never been too.

As for EMTs I have a friend that is an EMT and currently in nursing school, he had to volunteer at the hospital in Fort Collins for over a year before they would put him on a paid shift, even after 2 years he gets 3 paid shifts a week. The Loveland hospital is not any better according to him.

Also what is your definition of an affordable apartment, you may want to spend some time on padmapper and check out prices with 2 adults and 3 kids you are going to need a 3 bedroom and from what I have heard the average apartment is over $1000 a month in Fort Collins, greeley is cheaper and probably has more options for you but if you are racist then you will probably want to avoid there, Denver, and Longmont.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinesfamily5 View Post
I am a hippie by nature and tend to get along with everyone, however......
I am not fond of the spanish speaking, less than legal crowd. I do not want to live in an area with alot of hispanics and heard I may want to avoid Greeley...
I recommend you stick to a Red State, like Mississippi.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM

16 posts, read 37,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I do not understand how anybody can choose a place to live that they have never been too.

As for EMTs I have a friend that is an EMT and currently in nursing school, he had to volunteer at the hospital in Fort Collins for over a year before they would put him on a paid shift, even after 2 years he gets 3 paid shifts a week. The Loveland hospital is not any better according to him.

Also what is your definition of an affordable apartment, you may want to spend some time on padmapper and check out prices with 2 adults and 3 kids you are going to need a 3 bedroom and from what I have heard the average apartment is over $1000 a month in Fort Collins, greeley is cheaper and probably has more options for you but if you are racist then you will probably want to avoid there, Denver, and Longmont.
PVHS is one of the top hospitals in the state. They provide a vast majority of the healthcare employment in fort Collins. You do not have to put in a year of. Volunteer time. It is a very competitive hospital with a very low turn over rate. Volunteering is great to get your foot in the door, but not necessary.

Loveland has two hospitals. Both of which are always hiring part time staff. You do not need volunteer time, you simply need to be qualified. They also have a very low turnover rate.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM

28 posts, read 79,411 times
I'm moving to Colorado and have visited Loveland and Fort Collins/

I agree if you don't like diversity and Hispanics and other people, a big City School town(CSU) like
Fort Collins may not be for you, since there are a lot of different people there and it prosper in part due to it's diverse thought and ways.

Loveland is more laid back and more retired folks, but it is also very diverse and also a lot of different people.

Hispanics are everywhere. Oh there may be some enclaves in the hills of Idaho where you can be alone, but my guess is, you are still going to meet a few Hispanics, Asians and ethnic whites.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM

308 posts, read 638,117 times
You're worried about Hispancs more than you're worried about crime?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 AM

14 posts, read 29,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
You're worried about Hispancs more than you're worried about crime?
one tends to follow the other ^

I am actually racially mixed myself, half japanese.. irish and spanish. however the illegal subset of modern day america (majority of which are hispanic) annoy the crap out of me so I don't want to live somewhere that tends to attract them.
You can call me racist all you want, truth is everyone is racist in one form or another just most wont own it.

I simply want to find a place I can be happy, and raise my kids. I am trying to narrow down where to move with some out of the box criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area