Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 10,377 times

Advertisements

Good morning, folks. I’m fairly new to Greeley and was wondering, how would you describe the arts scene? I’ve played the piano since I was four, performed in musicals back in the day, and learned how to salsa dance a few years ago—who else likes getting creative?!

Really, I don’t mind the commute to Denver to see new exhibits or theater performances, but are there similar opportunities here in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
Actually- Downtown Greeley and the University District are designated as a Creative District by the State of Colorado. There is so much to do and see in Greeley. The Greeley Creative District website is: Greeleycreativedistrict.org and you will find a link to the arts calendars for both downtown and UNC there. There are multiple dance studios, extraordinary performances in theater at UNC, the Union Colony Civic Center, Greeley Central Arts Magnet school and the Stampede Troupe (a community based theater group), just to name a few. Greeley is know for its music scene-- live performances every weekend downtown, the UNC Jazz Festival, Greeley Blues Jam, Greeley Philharmonic, Greeley Stampede--and so much more. And 16 galleries and venues display art every First Friday in the Downtown and University area.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,944 times
Ditto the previous reply. The Stampede Troupe is just about to perform "Arsenic and Old Lace" in the Hensel Phelps Theatre at the UCCC. The University here has a stellar College of Performing and Visual Arts. Kelly Cook at the John Galt Coffee House is an excellent contact. We have a Belly Dance Troupe "Tribe Siddysan" and a Hoola-Hoop Dance Group "The Hoopligans." Come see us at the Downtown Development Office and we can help you with contacts. 802 9th ST Ste.100. (970) 356-6775.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,765 times
Default UNC Arts are awesome

dang - you just missed a sold out performance of 'Legally Blonde' - the students from the Musical Theatre program at UNC put on an unbelievable show (choreographed by a UNC alum now working on Broadway). We also have a world-renowned School of Music. The internationally acclaimed LU Piano Duo has a recital tomorrow nite - Mar 13 at 8 pm in the Hensel Phelps theatre at the Union Colony Civic Center in downtown Greeley. There is something going on all the time. Check out the calendar on the web site at arts.unco.edu
Welcome to Greeley!! Call 970-351-2200 if you want to be on the Arts at UNC mailing list.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 7,307 times
The arts are really emerging in Greeley! The City has a Scuplture on Loan program, where they put beautiful scultures all over the City. They spend 1% of capital improvement funds on art. They also are getting local citizens to paint murals all over downtown Greeley. There are tons of galleries in downtown, lots of events, the Annual Arts Picnic, the Union Colony civic center. Check out greeleyart.com for City stuff & also ucstars.com for UCCC events. They bring in broadway acts, theater and music and the venue is really nice. Small enough that everyone has a good seat, but really good sound.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8924 View Post
dang - you just missed a sold out performance of 'Legally Blonde' - the students from the Musical Theatre program at UNC put on an unbelievable show (choreographed by a UNC alum now working on Broadway). We also have a world-renowned School of Music. The internationally acclaimed LU Piano Duo has a recital tomorrow nite - Mar 13 at 8 pm in the Hensel Phelps theatre at the Union Colony Civic Center in downtown Greeley. There is something going on all the time. Check out the calendar on the web site at arts.unco.edu
Welcome to Greeley!! Call 970-351-2200 if you want to be on the Arts at UNC mailing list.
Awww, I'd enjoyed the movie and heard a musical came out of it (and the book). I'm a little bummed I missed it! Are there musicals at UNC both fall and spring semesters?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,765 times
UNC includes musical theatre in our season schedule 3 times a year: fall, winter and summer. Working on the summer schedule right now. MT classic Little Shop of Horrors is running the 1st weekend in August. If you would like to be on our mailing list please call the UNC Arts box office at 970-351-2200.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM

9 posts, read 17,078 times
Default It is what you make it. Search and be satisfied. Don't search, and dwindle and perish in disbelief.

I don't see the arts as "emerging" in Greeley, there are many days when nothing special is going on, and I don't approve of city government wasting money on art projects. Leave that to individuals, corporations, volunteer associations, and other organizations. I realize people have varying standards of what is beautiful when it comes to art. The main benefit of most of the Sculptures "on loan," in my opinion is that the artists got paid, like working for the WPA. I've probably seen one out of ten city sculptures that were worth spending more than a glance looking at. There was a cute mouse one a few years ago. I know of a few art galleries, but not an abundance of them, and the ones there are, tend to be small or inconveniently located.

The OP mentioned piano. UNC has what I think is a superb music culture, and a pretty good music library, which I wish more people would make use of. Not only will you hear some outstanding recorded performances, you will contribute to the improvement and growth of the collection. UNC provides music tutors. If you have children learning an instrument, or want to learn one yourself, I recommend UNC. We've had four or five tutors over the course of years, and they've all been very good. UNC faculty and student recitals, attended by usually small audiences, are performed in one of the UCCC auditoriums, as well as at locations on the UNC campus. These recitals are worth attending. Some of the performances are utterly beautiful.

Greeley is weak on stage performances. UNC has a couple each year – drama, musical, opera. They are sometimes good, but hardly extraordinary. The Union Colony Civic Center also has one or more musicals each year, I think. UNC can be a bit expensive, but seniors and students are usually given discounts. The UCCC stage is small, however, which affects the performance. Imagine Riverdance on a stage so small that only about eight performers fit tightly on stage, and you'll get the idea. If you are lucky, and don’t blink, you might see a Shakespearean play, offered for a few days, once every three or so years. Whoever he was. And don’t even think of seeing a play performed that was written by any of his contemporaries. UC Boulder used to perform Shakespeare each year; I don’t know if they still do. The arts suffer when education withers.

The UNC Jazz Festival could probably be a little better organized, but the music is top-notch imho, and it’s very easy to make connections with performers, instrument makers, composers, and others interested in jazz. The Jazz Festival is one of the offerings that Greeley has that I think is really worth seeing.

If you like that sort of thing, Greeley’s Chautaqua days is as good as anyone else’s outside of Hollywood and Toronto. But I have not been impressed by it. I’m not saying it’s not done well, only that I personally don’t care for it very much. I’ve seen too many instances of the historical characters taking advantage of their position to push their political opinion. Sometimes it matches their character, but just as often its an exaggeration or distortion of their character. Actors are not necessarily great historians; in fact they are usually poor historians.

Besides formal classes, UNC offers informal dance classes by students and clubs – Hawaiian or Polynesian was one I was invited to. Japanese language students have performed Japanese dances. On Chinese Lunar New Year, the university community puts on a dinner with Asian entertainment. Of course, “Hispanics” are all over the place, so there is plenty of opportunity to enjoy Latin American culture, music, arts, cuisine, and politics, often intertwined as they are.

The symphony performances can be outstanding, or could be. When I first started attending, Howard Skinner was the Conductor. I thought he was great. It’s hard to get details since the culture of politics and fine arts is to engage in mutual praise making honest humility impossible, and basically refusing public confessions of imperfection. But I was told Skinner's firm hand turned around a declining attendance, improved the quality of performances, and stimulated needed community support; and I did truly enjoy his concerts. His selections regularly included classic composers – Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, and so on. He also introduced less often performed works I had not had the opportunity to hear live anywhere else, and for that I will always be grateful. The current conductor leans towards other composers, and modern composers, including American, and he commonly includes a work of his own composition. I find these less elegant, less refined, less moving, and inexquisite. I long for the true masters to be returned.

The arts scene in Greeley/Evans is probably not as weak as I’m describing it, but neither is it as strong as some others have described it. I suggest getting a schedule of activities from the UCCC office, a schedule of UNC’s arts and music or look at them on-line: ucstars.com/shows and the calendar at arts.unco.edu. You might also find something you like, through the recreation department: greeleygov.com/Recreation.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 17,078 times
"UNC can be a bit expensive, but seniors and students are usually given discounts."

Sorry, I meant UCCC can be a bit expensive, but seniors and students are usually given discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area