U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times

Advertisements

I have moved to Fort Collins about six months months ago thinking that I would be able to land a job in my field ( with many, many years of experience)with no problem. Man was I wrong. I can't help but feel age discrimination is playing a large part. I understand that for many of these jobs I am overqualified, but that doesn't explain the super low wages in comparison to the cost of living. Rent for a decent two bedroom ranges between 1050-1700! Those are beach prices!!!! Don't get me wrong, Fort Collins is a very beautiful town and fairly safe place to live. I would love to hear others opinions and let me know if you too have felt discriminated against. I am shocked at the number of adults I've met ( 30's-40's) that must rely on roommates in order to survive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM

3,807 posts, read 5,032,507 times
You know people on this and other boards used to attack me and others for saying the same thing, but yet it is the truth, jobs are hard to find and pay lower wages for the honor of working in Fort Collins then any job I have seen in Colorado or in the midwest as a whole.

Fact is know plenty of people that work 60+ hours on a full time and part time job, or commute 45+ minutes to other areas where the jobs pay better. Personally I came back to Fort Collins as an adult to finish my school, and ended up stuck here as my daughter is severely autistic and the programs in the schools have down amazing things for her. So I was forced to commute to the the east part of Greeley to earn a living wage as an accountant, now I work in Denver as a mortgage banker as the pay plan was considerably better then what I could get in Fort Collins, I often see my kids for an hour or two per day, and Saturday late evening, and Sundays. for my daughter it is worth it too my wife and I, for someone with other real options I would stay away from Fort Collins, there are many better options around the country.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,086 posts, read 45,179,135 times
Well.... Consider there are over 10,000 EX employees And their well educated families from previous employ with HP, Kodak, Storage Tech, IBM, ATT ... AND everyone wants to stay around... = MANY great employees, few positions and LOTS of competition and wage (downward) pressure.

I have well educated local friends who have been under-employed for 30 yrs. (If that is any consolation). Imagine going from $100k+ engineering jobs to sacking groceries... It has happened...

Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 AM

10,139 posts, read 15,367,015 times
My buddy, whom just moved back to CA don't know why, was working a remote sales job in FC and commuting to Denver every 2 weeks for 1 day, sales meetings and stuff. He liked it but when we got sacked he moved back to CA and he can't find work there either plus the COL is much higher.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 22,331 times
I agree with you, I moved to Fort Collins to finish my degree in nutrition and work as a nutritionist. I am from MI and nutritionists get paid a decent wage there but in Fort Collins there are so many nutritionists that they are offered 8/hour at most places with a science degree!! Insulting, especially when the rent is 1200-1500 for a modest two bedroom for our family.

Denver has a lot more opportunities and even though people say it is more expensive because it is a bigger city, I have found nice and cheaper places to rent, although the COL is a lot more expensive in Denver.

I am close to finishing my masters degree and started job hunting and there are no jobs which is disappointing but there are a fair amount in Denver. I think this is a great college town but unless you are in certain fields such as engineering, it is hard to find a job here. That is just my opinion and there could be many other fields that are employable but not in the nutrition/public health field.

Last edited by lucidow; 03-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM

3,807 posts, read 5,032,507 times
How is the cost of living more expensive in the Denver metro area then they are in Fort Collins? The gas prices are within a couple of cents per gallon either way, the grocery stores are cheaper in Denver, the utilities are basically the same, rent for comparable places is lower in Denver, the only thing even slightly higher that I see is that the sales tax is slightly higher in some areas of the metro area, yet jobs pay considerably more in Denver.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,601,160 times
Lemmy1973 - Your original post is worded as though I wrote it! Especially about the job situation, wages, and possible age discrimination. Even down to the time of relocating. Hang in there. Good luck and best of wishes to you.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM

9 posts, read 22,331 times
jwiley-I apologize. I guess I assumed. I know food and drinks are a lot more expensive when you go out but I really have no other comparison. I may have been wrong and I have never lived in Denver.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,893 times
I totally agree with you. I am 50+ and moved to Ft. Collins four years ago. I commute 100 miles per day so that I can earn a respectable salary. I have been trying over the past few years to find work closer to Ft. Collins, but I cannot accept a 50% or more cut in pay. I have had numerous telephone interviews, and have been told over the phone that my skills, qualifications, and experiences are perfect for the position; however, when I go for the face-to-face interview, it's obvious from their initial reaction that they are expecting someone much younger. There's obviously age discrimination here. There are more jobs and better salaries closer to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area