Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM

29 posts, read 75,086 times

Advertisements

Have been house hunting in the foothills areas of Loveland & FC. Seems like every home we’ve looked at contains a private well & a cistern. I confess not to understand the use & prevalence of cisterns. Back east, we have an underground well – water is pumped directly into a water tank inside the house. No cistern. I figure cistern usage is somehow related to scarcity of water in these areas, but don’t know how to integrate this into my house-hunting due diligence. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 AM

175 posts, read 406,090 times
You are right.. sort of...
Cisterns are usually because either the cost of a well is prohibitive or because there is no water to drill to. Or because the water is known to be bad.
Remember that if you want to buy most lenders will not lend without a public water source.
Water can be expensive to haul in. Hundreds of dollars depending on how much you use. Look for a house with water-not well wTer but public. I am spell ng a small ranch in Wy and not having public water has been a problem. Next spring our county water will be in Yippee!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks for your reply Sasah’s. Most of the cisterns I’ve seen out here accompany private wells, which are the norm for foothills’ properties. They seem to serve as intermediate holding vessels, i.e., between the well and the water tank in the home. I’m not sure whether they also collect rainwater, to supplement the well water. I take it as a given that if I buy a mountain home it should come with a private well as the primary water source. However, I’m unclear as to whether the co-presence of a cistern signals the well may be inadequate, or alternately, whether it may somehow be more efficient to pump from the well into the cistern, and then into the home water tank, rather than from the well into the tank directly.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
The presence of a cistern may indicate a slow flow rate from the well. The well may not pump enough to keep up with showers or laundry washing, so the cistern would act as a holding reservoir for high water use activities.

You can check the well flow rate on the well permit by visiting the Colorado Water Engineer's website and searching for the permit / property info:
State of Colorado Water Resources - Well Permit Search

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Mike, thanks very much for the well-permit link - very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area