Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 PM

28 posts, read 51,412 times

Advertisements

I am a long time ex-pat currently living in Tunis, Tunisia. I spent 20 years working as an airline pilot in Saudi Arabia, and as my wife is from Tunis, we made our home here.

However, after the revolution here and the continual violence in the region, we have come to the conclusion that this has been a mistake.....live and learn.

My primary reason for Colo in general are the abundance of great schools. My oldest has just graduated from an IB school, American Coop School of Tunis, and my youngest will be in grade 10.

We are strongly considering Poudre HS so she can continue the IB program, while being in a state with strong public univ's.

So after this long, boring bio...my question is-if we buy or rent in the PHS district, does that guarantee a seat?
Would Loveland IB be comparable? Niwot?

Where would be the best general area to be able to use the bike paths, which seem to be outstanding, and still have her attend PHS?

As I'm 60, I am also looking for excellent healthcare facilities. Not looking for partying college kids, I was one just don't want the noise at this stage of life.

Any other pointers, comments, remarks appreciated. Thanking you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
As long as you are residing in the Poudre High School attendance area, your daughter should have a spot in the school. The school district has a school of choice program which allows a student from outside the attendance area to "choice into" any school that has room, but the student has to provide his or her own transportation. Typically Poudre is not overcrowded enough that attending is a problem for students outside the attendance area. This would open up more possibilities of places to live with easy access to the bike trail system.

The whole town is very bikeable, but if you wish to be close to the bike paths specifically, the closest one in the Poudre attendance area runs along the Poudre River from Old Town to Bellvue. Even though is it a couple of years old, this map of the school attendance areas will give you an idea where to look for rentals. The blue area is the Poudre attendance area. Keep in mind that neighborhoods near the CSU campus may have a number of college students living in them. If you cross reference the attendance boundaries map with the Fort Collins bike map, you can work out where you will wish to live. If you can find a place in Old Town, that would be a good bet.

Mike Weber

Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Thank you Mike! We will be looking to buy when we figure out the best area for us. Can I send you a dm?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Colorado should be fine. ( I grew up there and spent first 28 yrs in Colorado and WY)

Also consider Camas WASHINGTON (West coast and a NO INCOME TAX state). (10 minutes to PDX (Portland, OR) for commuting). Camas has exceptional public HS, as does nearby Hockinson, WA

In WASHINGTON State, HS kids can attend college (FREE) instead of HS (if they pass entrance exam (usually a breeze)) and it worked VERY WELL for my kids and many of others for over 15 yrs (including one of my managers who did this program themself.. Running Start
They save 1/2 expense on 4 yr college program (2 yrs for free). and the grads are VERY SUCCESSFUL college students (several friends have done med and law school, and my own were Magna grads) . No HS culture issues.

There are nearly 20 colleges within 1/2 hr of Camas, some are superb (U of Portland, / private), Lewis and Clark (Law) Plenty of public U also. and MUCH ethnic Culture in Portland area, especially middle eastern. Vancouver Canada is 6 hrs by driving or 1 hr by flight and it is culturally very diverse, and great to take in events (as is Seattle, 3 hrs by car). Private U in USA can be as cheap as public (for the right students), as students get promotional grants and scholarships.

WASHINGTON State schools are pretty good. WSU (Land Grant) and UW are the primary. One of my kids did WWU and he got 'The Best' educational experience. (Small school, great staff, Excellent environment, diverse students and majors, very close to Vancouver Canada). He ended up with one of the best 'financial' jobs in US and is off to grad school (for free).

Colorado too is a good choice, but I would keep all your options open and make the correct choice for your family / cultural experience and if you are still flying get as close to a hub as possible. Make a spreadsheet of all the variables and give some weighting to your needs. Please let the girls engage in the choice. They will be most affected. We lived overseas and homeschooled our own kids till college and they were always part of family decisions, budgeting, cooking, shopping, travel planning..., tho the final word rested with the parents.

I Fly Quatar and Emirates very frequently as I work in Asia and commute from PDX. Maybe you can find a quick connection from DEN, SFO, LAX, SEA or ORD. Hopefully not from JFK or ATL.

Best wishes, I think you are making a very tough decision, and not by your own choice or preference.
We are thinking of your country in turmoil, and our hearts reach to those residents at risk.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 31,176 times
Can I ask a few sensitive questions? What are your political leanings? Because that may be something to consider for what you need in a neighborhood. There seems to be a section of town that is more liberal than other sections. How do you feel about marijuana laws? Fort Collins is "pending" as far as the new laws regarding recreational marijuana. Meaning they will be making rules and regs after the Jan 14 moratorium on retail sales. Some other outlying cities (Greeley, Co. Springs, Loveland) are banning it. How do you feel about gun laws? There are some very important political grappling over gun laws right now. Are you needing a church home? Some neighborhoods are surrounded by churches. I looked at a neighborhood where one end is an Evangelical church and the other is a Mormon church. I am of the opinion that usually where churches are, like minded people congregate.

We are going to be in FoCo on the 4th and would be happy to look at any neighborhood for you.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Wow!
I'm just overwhelmed by such thoughtful comments! I will definitely take a look at Camus, Wa.
Yes, it's a mess here, 9 police were assassinated last night, and the news is quite controlled so who knows for sure.
I am retired from the flying game so I am not looking for a job. I need a state with excellent schools, HS and univ, but never really thought about Wa. I am from Montana, which is good living but sports take precedent over academics.
Thank you all for your kindness.
About pot, doesn't bother me at all, and I inhaled. Guns, I am a responsible gun owner and support the 2nd amend. I apologize to anyone who doesn't agree with me on this as I know Colo has been in the forefront on this. Again, Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area