U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,972 times

Advertisements

My gf and I have decided to start looking into moving to the Fort Collins area. We're both in our early 30s. Liberal. Enjoy the outdoors. She enjoys hiking. I'm huge into all things fly fishing and am no stranger to the lore of trout fishing in Colorado. She's currently finishing up her nursing degree(rn). She has been involved in nursing for 7yrs and has ICU experience during her externship in St Louis and ICU placement for her immersion and would prefer to continue along that path. I have been a cook for 15yrs with management experience and now currently the head catering cook and assistant km. I am currently making about $25k/yr. We currently live in southeastern Minnesota. Our main concern is finding her a nursing job. With my experience finding a cooking position should not be complicated. But still would like to know the best areas for good kitchen jobs. Also what are the better hospitals in the area that have bigger ICU facilities? She's found some info on a hospital in Loveland. How is that are? What's rent like? Or for that matter the renters like? How are taxes in Colorado? Anything else I should know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,932 posts, read 45,013,939 times
Consider: Medical-Center-of-the-Rockies

University of Colorado Health - Jobs - University of Colorado Hospital
Medical Center of the Rockies Careers and Employment | Indeed.com

The specific location is on the "prairie" (just like SE MN) about 15 miles east of base of Mtns.
MANY nearby food joints (like Nordy's) Nordy's BBQ in Loveland Great to find your future coronary patients.

The best nearby trout fishing just got wiped out (Glen Haven / Buckhorn / Thompson).

WY fishing is GREAT as is Red Feather lake area of CO.

Also consider Sheridan, WY, Sturgis / Spearfish, SD, Southern CO, and Northern NM if 'outdoors' is king. WY and SD are income tax FREE!!! That was a BIG help for me moving OUT of Colorado for my career yrs.

Be open to the BEST options... I would consider UT mtn areas too.

PNW is a good option too for fishing and outdoors. WA is Income Tax Free (Spokane has lots of medical), Oregon is 9%.

Working for the VA is a pretty good medical gig if your SO desires further EDU. (My sis just spent 4 yrs PAID wages, school, housing, food, and tuition) for RNA school. Full benefits even while working PT). Sheridan, WY would be my choice of NICE VA's and accessible recreation combo. (WY people are Tops!!!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-09-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM

2,144 posts, read 3,590,225 times
Like Stealth I'm a believer in the NO income tax states. I moved up to WA State partly for that reason. It can really make a big difference if you are successful financially. Especially cumulatively over time. I'm thankful I still live in a country I'm free to move if I need tax relief. I'm not sure you can move around in other countries and substantially change you tax hit.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM

1,499 posts, read 2,549,031 times
But Washington has a sales tax of 6.5% vs. 2.9% for Colorado.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,932 posts, read 45,013,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
But Washington has a sales tax of 6.5% vs. 2.9% for Colorado.
good point. - consider ALL the options. Alaska is BEST for taxes (no income or sales tax and GREAT wages for Medical professionals (and teachers))

Colorado is 'fairly taxed', but certainly there are advantages to understand which regions / taxes are appropriate for 'life-styles' ages / income / spending...

WA has no tax on food, and at certain stages of your life 'buying / accumulating GOODS' is not too important of an economic driver.

or... you live on the border as I do, where there is NO sales tax in Oregon (5 minutes south), just in case you ever need to buy anything. Being a few minutes from a GREAT CHEAP international airport has been quite handy several times / month for 30+ yrs. (Allows me to fly to DEN for under $100 to get some SUN , San Diego is currently $19 one way)

WA taught me to drive beaters to avoid sales tax and previous fees based on Value (now license is $35 flat rate). I had to pay WA sales tax AGAIN on all my motorcycles, boats and trailers I brought from Colorado (and had paid sales tax there). You can only bring (2) vehicles into WA without triggering additional tax. So... many of my vehicles continue to live at 'boarding school' I still drive my VW Rabbits that I started aquiring in Colorado in 1976 (3 million fleet miles at 50 mpg, no OPEC or dinosaurs required). My last 'Rabbit' bought in Oregon cost me $35.00. If it stays licensed at an Oregon Boarding School there will be no WA Sales tax, (~$2.50).
I certainly Don't Miss Colorado vehicle Inspection and Emission test fees.

Sometimes you just need to 'play-with(in)-the-rules'

Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Well seeing as I come from Minnesota... One of the top 5 states for highest taxes... Taxes are not an issue. Any break is seen as a relief. My concern is states with certain no taxes.. how is the state funded then? Higher property taxes... Income taxes... Sales tax... They still get there ends somewhere or lack items other states might have.

@rabbit... What is your political affiliation? Just curious as I hear WY is very conservative.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:13 AM

32 posts, read 38,346 times
A good friend of mine graduated with a nursing degree in May of this year. Hasn't found yet a job locally. He says many places are belt-tightening and not hiring new nurses and that he may have to look elsewhere.

I'd definitely make sure your GF has first secured a job here before moving.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 PM

2,144 posts, read 3,590,225 times
I always chuckle when I say WA has no state income tax and people chime in and say "yes but it has a high sales tax". The problem once again most Americans are bad at math. Lets take Oregon with a 11% income tax. If you make $100k a year in OR you pay $11k in come tax and in WA state you pay ZERO. Say you spend $10k a year on stuff that is taxable in WA. That is only $1,000 in sales tax! And you may not even spend $10k on taxable stuff. So $11k in income tax or $1k in sales tax??? The point is in almost all situations you will pay much more in state income tax then you would in sales tax in a no income tax state.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:45 PM

94 posts, read 469,067 times
Your GF should have no problem finding work as long as she is willing to work in a nursing home or sub acute center for a little while. The hospitals are really difficult to get into, most will only hire a nurse with work experience and a BSN. There are hospitals out there that will hire with just a ADN, she will have to look outside of Fort Collins.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,554 times
Default Rental Rates

When I moved here I used the following website to find a rental within my budget:

northerncoloradorentals.com

I've heard craigslist is also a good way to feel out the rental rates. Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area