U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

1. Greeley is a city with a small time vibe. People are friendly and make a person feel welcome.
2. Greeley does NOT have a smell to it. That smell was caused by feed lots which have been gone for nealy 10 years.
3. Everyone I have talked to loves the college atmosphere.
4. There are so many things to do. Check out this website [url=http://www.greeleyunexpected.com/]Greeley Unexpected[/url]. It will show you the up and coming Greeley and how much it has changed since it was a ranch/farmers community.
5. A crime rate that is being reduced from 10 years ago when most of the posts on here about Greeley were written.

We retired here from Anchorage, AK. The air here smells much better, it is healthier and much friendlier. There are also more things to do. Now Anchorage is not the only place I have lived. I was in the Army and lived all over the place. I never felt at home anyplace like I do here.

SoulKeeper

Last edited by SoulKeeper; 11-15-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 PM

2,157 posts, read 3,617,443 times
Good to hear. Thanks for the positive info on Greely.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM

13 posts, read 11,301 times
Thumbs up Thank you SoulKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKeeper View Post
1. Greeley is a city with a small time vibe. People are friendly and make a person feel welcome.
2. Greeley does NOT have a smell to it. That smell was caused by feed lots which have been gone for nealy 10 years.
3. Everyone I have talked to loves the college atmosphere.
4. There are so many things to do. Check out this website Greeley Unexpected. It will show you the up and coming Greeley and how much it has changed since it was a ranch/farmers community.
5. A crime rate that is being reduced from 10 years ago when most of the posts on here about Greeley were written.

We retired here from Anchorage, AK. The air here smells much better, it is healthier and much friendlier. There are also more things to do. Now Anchorage is not the only place I have lived. I was in the Army and lived all over the place. I never felt at home anyplace like I do here.

SoulKeeper

SoulKeeper,
I love your screen name. I also appreciated your post. I am currently considering Greeley and your perspective felt wonderful.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,147 posts, read 45,288,389 times
There is certainly a lot of GOOD about Greeley, especially for active retirees, and those looking for an 'affordable' version of front range Colorado. I really like being retired in a small college town. Gardening is pretty good too, historic homes available and in nice shape. There are lots of opportunities to learn and to serve and attend. You can easily rent out a space in your home to the correct student / staff, who is HAPPY to feed the dog and water the plants while you travel. Good biking, good libraries, diverse economy, fun people with interesting tales and travels.

My elderly mom had to leave Colorado due to no longer being able to breath at 7,000ft. She finally landed in Las Cruces, NM, another college town with great benefits. I go visit her when their monthly travel club meets, the adventures shared are very educational.

One nice thing about Greeley, is that it is very close to WY !. Some like to run up to the AFB Commissary, or attend many nice events in Cheyenne. I like to get to nearby Vedauwoo for the August meteor showers.

Also, frequent trips to Pawnee Grasslands is a good adventure from Greeley. (Maybe you can see some UFO sightings, as were popular in 1970's)

Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 PM

60 posts, read 41,068 times
Regarding #2 ... just wait. There are definitely times that the feedlots stink up the entire Northern Colorado area. Yes, even this year. Not gone for over 10 years by any means.

However, Greeley is definitely much nicer than its reputation. There is a stronger gang presence than in Fort Collins (per the school Resource Officers I have worked with at my children's elementary school), but most people that I know who live in Greeley don't have any issues with that situation at all. Some really gorgeous, college-feel areas in town and some neat bike paths that I enjoy biking on.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,147 posts, read 45,288,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
Regarding #2 ... just wait. There are definitely times that the feedlots stink up the entire Northern Colorado area. .....
Well... Those of us who were employed at Hewlett Packard, definately found out what Carly F. Thought of the smell at the Greeley HP, one trip there and she couldn't disband and sell that operation soon enough. Too bad she did the same with our late Hermit Park in Estes ... i was counting on that as a freebee RV site during retirement It was Nice while it lasted.... 40 plus years. I got assigned a few (paid) summers there building cabins and clearing beetle kill forest for firewood. Not a bad gig!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 AM

60 posts, read 41,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Well... Those of us who were employed at Hewlett Packard, definately found out what Carly F. Thought of the smell at the Greeley HP, one trip there and she couldn't disband and sell that operation soon enough. Too bad she did the same with our late Hermit Park in Estes ... i was counting on that as a freebee RV site during retirement It was Nice while it lasted.... 40 plus years. I got assigned a few (paid) summers there building cabins and clearing beetle kill forest for firewood. Not a bad gig!
Oh yeah, us HP families will forever mourn the loss of Hermit Park as a private area. You can still go camp there, it is now run by Larimer County. Have taken many a scout group camping in Hermit Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area