U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,754 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to the Fort Collins Co. area in one or two years. We will probably rent first to be able to look around for what we really want. But...as I have been looking, the cost per month of ownership sometimes is cheaper than renting.

I have scanned the threads, and almost everyone here wants to know about good school districts, since they have children. We do not have children, and are not planning to. I would hope that this could greatly reduce our cost of living, due to not needing the top tear school district areas, or any childcare needs....

Are there any suggestions about where the cost of living (esp, cost of housing) would be lower in Colorado? We would consider buying something in the country, with land...depending on what work we could find...

Any information is appreciated...thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM

99 posts, read 201,929 times
I would think that any neighborhood built between the 60s and the 80s would be the cheapest places to live. If you use Coloproperty.com to look at houses, you'll get a sense of which neighborhoods are cheaper than others. We lived in the Rogers Park neighborhood and really liked it. It's still pretty close to downtown, but it's also closer to Overland Trail and the reservoir.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM

41 posts, read 76,161 times
Not certain how much OP knows about Colorado, but a good rule-of-thumb for the Front Range area is that home values increase West of the I-25 corridor and decrease East of the I-25 corridor.
For Fort Collins in general barefootmeg is wise in that you can get a good idea by cruising coloproperty.com. It will give you a good idea. Fort Collins is such a nice city for bikes, I reccomend that mode of transportation and cruise through neighborhoods to give you the sense of feel. You mentioned you wanted affordable land in the country, most affordable land in the front range will be in Weld County. Although there are options in Larimer County near the Wyoming border that will give you the sense of being in the mountains, but along with the winter winds of Wyoming. A few localities you may be interested in Berthoud, Ault,Eaton, Wellington, & Livermore. A few further South East Johnstown,Platteville,Fort-Lupton, & Hudson. Those areas have a good "population" of nice country homes on decent 1 acre - 10 acre spreads. I, personally, would avoid anything in Boulder County, even though its beautiful, it is too expensive for this man.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM

599 posts, read 873,773 times
Moving to Colorado can present interesting conundrums - everyone needs a job, but the Front Range, where most jobs are located, is crowded and expensive. People often say they are willing to live outside of the immediate area they would work in order to find cheaper living expenses, but then traffic and commuting costs eat up what they save. People say they want "acreage", but then along the Front Range they find that means basically living in a windy, treeless expanse of prairie, or living in the hills with snow/fires/floods/wind.

If you are flexible, there are other areas of the state which are less expensive than anywhere along the northern Front Range. Colorado Springs/Pueblo/Trinidad or the far NW corner (Craig/Meeker) or far west (Grand Junction/Delta/Montrose).

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 PM

99 posts, read 201,929 times
In addition to the places Lenny mentioned, you might also look for places in Bellvue. It's still close to FC but more rural/mountainous.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 AM

18 posts, read 23,870 times
FWIW, my family (me, spouse, two school-aged kids) recently moved to Loveland from out of state. If you want to live in the Fort Collins area but not pay as much, Loveland is pretty good. Rent and house prices are lower than FC, but it's so easy to go back and forth between the two cities, they really feel like one metro area.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:31 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,574,861 times
Coloradoalimony has some good points about jobs and expenses ("cost of living" stuff). A lot depends on your line(s) of work, and if there are matches in the area. FC has a decent mix of jobs, but not really enough in any particular area. That's probably the biggest drawback to the town.

As for schools, of course, you will have to pay taxes for them whether you have children or not. Maybe something to also think about and factor in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or