Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM

37 posts, read 64,145 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to possibly relocate to Loveland. He will be working in plumbing and I will be leaving my job working for the Wal-Mart home office to find....something. We have 3 kids, ages 16, 15, and 13, 2 dogs and 1 cat. Our oldest child is already prepping for college. We love getting outdoors, and I've read that shouldn't be an issue given the surroundings. We currently rent in NW Arkansas for $1100/mos., so looking to stay in that range. Buying is still a few years down the road. So on to the questions:

1. Are the schools good? I've looked at the great schools ratings, but prefer some first hand accounts. Including colleges in the area.

2. What is the current job market like?

3. Is there a "bad" side of town to avoid? If so, why: is it because of crime, rundown, etc..?

4. What's the shopping like? Is there a lot to choose from? (and I don't mean an hour away, I would like to know the options within the city)

Any info on this town is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
I've never heard of a bad side of Loveland.

Is this enough shopping for you? It is at I-25/US-34, just east of the rest of Loveland.
The Promenade Shops at Centerra :: 5971 Sky Pond Drive, Suite OFC, Loveland, CO. 80538 :: 970-461-1285

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks! Yes, I think that should suffice, haha.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Can anyone provide info on my other questions above?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM

I'll try a little harder, but granted I don't live in the area and thus don't have the exact pulse needed to answer your questions.

Judging by craigslist, you should be able to get a 3 bedroom apartment for $1100/mo. It looks like single family houses for rent cost a bit more than that.

Higher education choices are CSU, UNC, and Aims CC. Public schools should be fine (average to above).

The common theme I hear around here about Larimer County, is that people want to stay because the quality of life is great, but the educated folks (mostly fresh out of CSU) have to work jobs well below their education levels, as there aren't jobs to support the local populace's high level of education (see the Fort Collins forum for examples). Also, the traffic coming down I-25 in the morning from FC/LL would suggest that many people are commuting to Denver/metro, which is really sad given the distance between the two.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Thank you so much for that! You didn't have to given that you don't live in the area! I appreciate it. I've been doing so much research trying to make sure this is a smart move for our family. So it sounds like I would probably have to seek employment in another town. I am having a bit of trouble locating homes for rent...at least from real estate companies. But I've just begun to scratch the surface of that search.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Good luck!!!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Default relocate to Loveland

see below; I grew up in Masonville and Loveland, been away in WA for 30+ yrs, but still have family and property, and business there, so return LVLD 3-6x / yr

Quote:
My family is looking to possibly relocate to Loveland. He will be working in plumbing and I will be leaving my job working for the Wal-Mart home office to find....something. (Get a job at the new Costco coming to Ft Collins (Next to Walmart at 1-25 and Harmony) Costco might be one of the top 100 employers in USA, benefits and great wages, even for PT work) have 3 kids, ages 16, 15, and 13, 2 dogs and 1 cat. Our oldest child is already prepping for college.

We love getting outdoors, and I've read that shouldn't be an issue given the surroundings. We currently rent in NW Arkansas for $1100/mos., so looking to stay in that range. Buying is still a few years down the road. So on to the questions: Loveland is great, rent will be possible, many choices. there are 2-3 close Jr College / Vo Tech + Universities,

1. Are the schools good? I've looked at the great schools ratings, but prefer some first hand accounts. Including colleges in the area. Just attend some family events / churches and get a feel for specific schools. I would not subject my kids to public school in teenage yrs, but Loveland has plenty of decent schools (I graduated from there,,,) I apprenticed my kids age 12 - age 18. They had to learn a skilled trade, as well as college, They can now do either career for $60- $120k/yr, and are under age 30) They each had to design and build a home from scratch age 12 - 15. I sent my kids to college at age 15 (we had homeschooled till then, and WA has FREE college for 15 - 18 yr olds (and no income tax state ) CO has some options too

2. What is the current job market like? (tight job market in high skill, but plenty of medium / low skill jobs)

3. Is there a "bad" side of town to avoid? If so, why: is it because of crime, rundown, etc..? Transient / Mexican / rentals = SE corner of Loveland (East of Monroe, South of US 34, West of Madison) ie... east of Chilson community Center It is not that bad, just always been the pit of the city. a bit junky and minor crime.

4. What's the shopping like? Is there a lot to choose from? (and I don't mean an hour away, I would like to know the options within the city) Plenty of shopping within 20 minutes (including Ft Collins)

Any info on this town is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Great place for family. I will be coming back to Loveland (from my current home in Thailand... low cost healthcare) this summer for:
Walker Hymn Sing | Lifting high the name of our Lord through the singing of hymns.
Home - Sculpture in the Park

BTW: WA state is also great. I also keep places in Kerrville, TX and Kingsport, TN and will be adding Piedmont, or Spearfish SD (I like NO INCOME Tax States) CO has pretty fair taxes, but it is just too crowded for me, and I don't appreciate it is now a 'battleground state' (Politics). I find that social ill leads to contention and violence (school violence in CO). CO is also running out of water, but it is a nice state and will be a good choice. (BUT... I would also consider Laramie if I had kids college age. WY college is superb and VERY inexpensive. Laramie is not great, but will do for a few yrs. Weather is brutal, but recreation and the people are tremendous) WY is also income tax free. I am not wealthy, all my homes were bought / built for under $100k and are rented out for ~ $1,000/ month. I did not finish college till after age 50 (when my kids were in college) Kids learn best by example. Be certain their time is spent following the correct example It will be their peers and their parents / family.

Zillow and Padmapper have rental homes. I would NEVER do a rental home through a real estate agent.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info!! I've been looking into Fort Collins as well now. Trying to decide which would be better for us. Relocation is a big step! So as a parent, I'm trying to make sure it won't be one I regret.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1178 View Post
Thanks for the info!! I've been looking into Fort Collins as well now. Trying to decide which would be better for us. Relocation is a big step! So as a parent, I'm trying to make sure it won't be one I regret.
I Relocated family 6x, (3x international)

All had regrets, all had benefits, all were part of the story of life.

Maybe you can be a bit more specific as to what is important to your family and what type of social / culture you want. Many great places nearby.

Ft Collins = quite suburban, HEAVY traffic, upwardly mobile, college town (+/-) with lots of excellent people and highly educated workforce. (+/-) more pressure on cost of living, more pressure on job market. Pretty fast pace

Loveland = slower / family / retiree centric, sustainable economy, lower costs, low pay, very nice people and ez to gain relationships with families / churches / work / community (Small enough to meet people that will stick) Longer longevity of residents. (stickiness = +/-)

Berthoud. Bit small but great benefits too. Very good, supportive community with close connections and high quality of life. Much fewer jobs, but within commute of a larger job market. (Longmont / Niwot / Boulder / Louisville, North Denver metro)

With your older kids... I would look to which community best serves their interests / edu and ez commute to their activities. It is not restful to have all your kids out driving around to various activities.

Consider North Loveland and south Ft Collins.

You can always go find the perfect place when the kids are gone (quite soon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area