Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 AM

94 posts, read 491,890 times

Advertisements

I moved to Fort Collins from Long Beach, Ca in May of 2010 and agree that in the short amount of time I have lived here, rent prices have gone up. I recently had to move due to my old apt being sold and torn down to make room for new apts ( Shields and Plum ) and had a really difficult time finding affordable apartments ( I'm a Nurse as well) in my price range. For a 2-3 bedroom the average rent was 1200-1400. I found that shocking because that was the price i was paying in East Long Beach, also across from the beach. However here in FC you do get more SQ for the same price. I agree that one of the reason's prices have gone up is because so many people want to live here/ stay here. Fort Collins is paradise for many people. It's hands down the safest place I have ever lived, have beautiful and clean parks, and is very family oriented. Unfortunately the trade off is expensive housing and low pay. I guess it just depends on what your willing to sacrifice to live here. I know many people who have moved here from SoCal and feel that the cut in pay is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 11:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRicky911 View Post
Would love to hear opinions on this matter. We really would love to move to Fort Collins some day.
You and thousands more just like you. Hence high demand and high rental prices.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM

210 posts, read 471,084 times
Flooding in the past year, also, drove up rental prices and limited housing options. Folks are even struggling trying to find an available storage unit for their items because there are so many living in-between housing. The last I read we had a 3% available occupancy but someone I know said it's down to 1%, so I don't know which, if either, is currently accurate.

We moved here around 4 years ago and bought a mobile home. In that short time our home has nearly doubled in value so I can only imagine how expensive rentals have become. Friends have told me that the waiting list for rent controlled units is long and the Coloradoan did an article on how the city's housing costs are driving out our service industry workers.

Fort Collins' working class moves out

Yes, the town is lovely for those interested and I find myself smiling just leaving my house and seeing the mountains. I have zero regrets for moving here, but Fort Collins is a town struggling with growing pains due to overpopulation. I would tell folks interested in moving here and renting to do so with that in mind as we are a land locked town and housing will continue to be an issue as both CSU & the town's population continues to boom.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I'd have to disagree with at least a few of the comments preceding. In my opinion, the town isn't facing overpopulation, and isn't experiencing growing pains. I've lived in places where the growth is fast and mindless. Here, the growth is steady, and there is a lot of review before new projects move forward. The town is also hardly landlocked, with land available in all directions. I also see places in town where older areas are refurbished or updated into wise usage. The flood last year mostly affected only the northern parts of town adjacent to the river; hardly a wide-scale impact. It is true though that available rentals are hard to find. That goes with the "Best Place to Live" stuff bringing people in, even though those ratings are from years ago and a lot of factors have changed.

The big problem I see is that there are way more people than available jobs. There have been a few expansions with a few companies, and little startups, but not the big companies moving in (which is really needed).

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-27-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
I'd have to disagree with at least a few of the comments preceding. In my opinion, the town isn't facing overpopulation, and isn't experiencing growing pains. I've lived in places where the growth is fast and mindless. Here, the growth is steady, and there is a lot of review before new projects move forward. The town is also hardly landlocked, with land available in all directions. I also see places in town where older areas are refurbished or updated into wise usage. The flood last year mostly affected only the northern parts of town adjacent to the river; hardly a wide-scale impact. It is true though that available rentals are hard to find. That goes with the "Best Place to Live" stuff bringing people in, even though those ratings are from years ago and a lot of factors have changed.

The big problem I see is that there are way more people than available jobs. There have been a few expansions with a few companies, and little startups, but not the big companies moving in (which is really needed).
Actually in many ways Fort Collins is land locked, to the south and east of town is designated open space which cannot be built on, to the West is Horsetooth reservoir and the hills, meaning the only place where new subdivisions are supposed to be started in Fort Collins city limits is the north end of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area