Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 24,670 times

Advertisements

I am currently a student at UNLV (University of Nevada, Las Vegas). I've lived in Vegas for about 12 years and I can't stand it. I was born in Colorado and have always wanted to go back so I started looking into my options financially and I can get into the University of Northern Colorado in Greely through a national exchange program my school offers. I don't know anything about the city though and want people's opinions. What are the pros/cons of Colorado, of Greely, of Denver?

side note: BTW my parents are freaking out and don't want me to go. However, I will be twenty years old by the time I do go if I do what I'm planning. I think that's plenty old enough to "leave the nest." How long am I supposed to cater to others' wishes instead of my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:21 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
What is it in particular that you dislike about Las Vegas and what is it that you're looking for a new place to live? Thinking that over will help you determine if transfering schools is the right idea or not. Are you currently living at home with your parents and commuting to school? Maybe the answer is move into an apartment with a roommate, while still going to UNLV-- so at least you'll have some independence? Or what about transfering to UN Reno? That would be a totally different campus environment than UNLV (I've been there and I think the while UNLV itself is fine, the immediate area around UNLV sucks). The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a good program, but getting in state tuition is better. I personally would rather go to CSU any day than UNC.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
For Greeley info, simply use our Search Tool with the keyword Greeley to find all the info that's here.

Short version, the college is well regarded and if you're looking for a change, go for it. The town also boasts a meat packing plant and there are feedlots in the area that can get smelly somedays. Greeley is east of I-25 by about 10 miles and is generally on flat gently rolling grassland prairie. There's a lot to see and do here, especially if you're an active outdoor type. Lots more culture and arts in Denver than in LV, with pro sports too.

Millions of people your age leave home for college or the military. If your parents and others have helped you develop into a sensible well-grounded person, you'll be fine. My preference is to work up a budget to see how the money works out, and if it does, do it, else you may regret it later for not having spread your wings....

Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What is it in particular that you dislike about Las Vegas

It has become a very commercialized city. It is dangerous almost everywhere. People are rude and those that aren't keep to themselves because there are so many others that are out of line. It's 120 degrees in the summer and there are no seasons. It is either Summer or Winter. No such thing as Spring and Fall - maybe for a week. This year there was absolutely no fall. It went from hot and sunny to windy and cold overnight with no pleasant segue.

and what is it that you're looking for a new place to live?

I would like a place with seasons. With nature. Where I could take pictures without buidings and powerlines in the way all the time. Where kids could play outside. Where people understood and showed respect. I just want a place that's different.

Thinking that over will help you determine if transfering schools is the right idea or not. Are you currently living at home with your parents and commuting to school?

Yes

Maybe the answer is move into an apartment with a roommate, while still going to UNLV-- so at least you'll have some independence?

I've considered this but it's more than just wanting independence, I want a differnt environment.

Or what about transfering to UN Reno?

I know a lot of people up there. My parents forbid me going and if I'm going to inferiorate I'd rather go to a place that I'd find new and exciting not just another "party city" as it's been described to me.

That would be a totally different campus environment than UNLV (I've been there and I think the while UNLV itself is fine, the immediate area around UNLV sucks). The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a good program, but getting in state tuition is better. I personally would rather go to CSU any day than UNC.

Does Colorado State University (That is what CSU means right?) offer an education program? I didn't see it online and I'm an Elementary Education major.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by SamMN; 12-20-2007 at 11:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
For Greeley info, simply use our Search Tool with the keyword Greeley to find all the info that's here.

Short version, the college is well regarded and if you're looking for a change, go for it. The town also boasts a meat packing plant and there are feedlots in the area that can get smelly somedays. Greeley is east of I-25 by about 10 miles and is generally on flat gently rolling grassland prairie. There's a lot to see and do here, especially if you're an active outdoor type. Lots more culture and arts in Denver than in LV, with pro sports too.

Millions of people your age leave home for college or the military. If your parents and others have helped you develop into a sensible well-grounded person, you'll be fine. My preference is to work up a budget to see how the money works out, and if it does, do it, else you may regret it later for not having spread your wings....

Thank you Mike! I know that my opinion alone doesn't count for a whole lot but I've always been told I am sensible and responsible. I graduated high school with a 4.68 weighted GPA and I currently have a 4.0 at UNLV. I've held an office job with The Public Education Foundation (non-profit associated with the school district dedicated to raising funds for teachers, students, and schools in our district) since 2005 - when I was 16. I honestly believe I will be fine and I have been saving and budgeting. I am afraid that if I don't do it now I may never and I'll be "stuck" like so many people I know and affected with the "what if" syndrome I hear so often from my coworkers and other adults. I am 90% sure I'm going to do it anyway despite my dad's loud and angry objections. I hate the guilt he puts on me - trying to say I'm tearing my family apart and ruining everything and that he's a failure if I'm really retarded enough to leave. But I think that there are just some things we all have to do and although I know it's hard for him as I'm his first child, first daughter on top of that, he'll have to get used to it. He couldn't have really thought I'd be there forever right?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:39 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMN View Post
Thank you Mike! .... I am 90% sure I'm going to do it anyway despite my dad's loud and angry objections. I hate the guilt he puts on me - trying to say I'm tearing my family apart and ruining everything and that he's a failure if I'm really retarded enough to leave. But I think that there are just some things we all have to do and although I know it's hard for him as I'm his first child, first daughter on top of that, he'll have to get used to it. He couldn't have really thought I'd be there forever right?
He's a typical dad, worried sick that his little girl is going to end up pregnant by some shadowy mysterious drug dealer type who gives you six STD's, takes all your money and pimps you out to the 'adult' movie industry. Such are the fears of dads these days. If your mom/dad raised you right, you'll be fine and won't fall prey to any slick characters, in Greeley or elsewhere.

Of course, for him to say that you are "tearing my family apart and ruining everything and that he's a failure if I'm really retarded enough to leave" is actually abusive behavior, which REINFORCES my opinion that you should follow your dream. Generally, if someone gives in to such improper pressure and tactics, you end up regretting it forever, with your self confidence and self esteem in tatters. Chin up! Pack and go! Live YOUR life!

You're gonna love Colorado!

s/Mike

Old 12-21-2007, 10:46 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMN View Post
It has become a very commercialized city. It is dangerous almost everywhere. People are rude and those that aren't keep to themselves because there are so many others that are out of line. It's 120 degrees in the summer and there are no seasons. It is either Summer or Winter. No such thing as Spring and Fall - maybe for a week. This year there was absolutely no fall. It went from hot and sunny to windy and cold overnight with no pleasant segue.
I can totally understand why you don't like Las Vegas. I love visiting Vegas-- I have some family there, and I like the action (even though I've only gambled a total of $3.00 my entire life!), but I don't know if I'd want to live there either. Well, if I did, I would want to live somewhere away from the strip-- like Summerlin-- except it's really expensive to live there. The climate certainly isn't for everybody. Although, keep in mind, the climate of the Front Range is not all that different-- it is a good 20 degrees colder on average in every time of the year, but there's not really a distinct fall or spring either. It can jump straight from hot to cold pretty quickly. Vegas and Denver are both very windy and can get some turbulent weather. Perhaps what you're really looking for is the midwest?

Quote:
I would like a place with seasons. With nature. Where I could take pictures without buidings and powerlines in the way all the time. Where kids could play outside. Where people understood and showed respect. I just want a place that's different.
One thing I don't see in your post is anything about mountains-- if having mountains nearby is not that important (and Greeley is pretty far east of the mountains anyway)-- maybe you might as well live in the midwest? Have you taken a look at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, KS? That could be just what you are looking for! Nothing against Greeley, I just can't imagine any reason why somebody would come out of state all the way to Colorado just to go to school there.

Quote:
Does Colorado State University (That is what CSU means right?) offer an education program? I didn't see it online and I'm an Elementary Education major.
Yes they do. (http://opc.colostate.edu/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area