Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 9,070 times

Advertisements

I am a 63 year old retiree with a 36 year old son that want's to work bad enough to do anything legal even tho he has a degree in computer science. I need to move for health reasons, the air quality here is often the worst in the nation in winter,and neither of us is thriving here. Love our neighbors tho. The more research I do the more I appreciate where we are. Here are some things I would like or not. Clean air but not too much wind clean an available water but not too much rain, like pines but not tumble weeds or fox tails. We want police protection but don't want to live in a police state. I know we can't have perfection but we might as well try for some improvement. We could go anywhere I guess, looking at Oregon and Washington but the distance is a little far and the weather patterns seem either too wet and cold or too hot and dry. Now I'm getting confused and discouraged, I can do this, I just need to make up my mind and go, we want to contribute and have skills and strength to offer. I guess my no. 1 wish is not to see smog again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,721,648 times
my no. 1 wish is not to see smog again. Front Range Colorado has pretty ugly smog problem (has for 30+ yrs)

For earning yrs... I suggest the following TAX FREE places
Rapid City or Spearfish, SD
Sheridan, WY
Spokane, WA
Walla Walla, WA
Richland, WA
Ellensburg, WA
Wenatchee, WA

Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,990,715 times
The air in Northern Colorado is great, especially if you stay away from heavy metro areas like around Denver. I've never seen smog in this region. The low humidity makes high temperatures not too bad, and low temperatures amazingly bearable. I've been outside in 0 degree and subzero weather (with low humidity and essentially no wind) and it's no big deal at all.

If you have a 36 year-old working son with you though, that might throw a monkey wrench into the matter. The job market is poor around here. But a computer science background might offer some hope.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-12-2014 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,080,946 times
I've been in Colorado Springs for 2 years and have never seen smog here. Maybe we should limit it to saying Denver has smog problems?

Being free of income taxes during your earnings years, especially if you are looking "for any work" doesn't save you a great deal. Now if you were making a quarter million a year it would be great, but if you are responsible and middle class, say making 40k per year, your tax burden isn't very high. Since most companies offer traditional 401k rather than roth 401k, their savings towards retirement will be tax deductible anyway. I <3 you stealth rabbit, just not sure why you harp on income taxes so much when other taxes take money also.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:13 PM

930 posts, read 1,648,933 times
Colorado Springs has had smog problems, especially when we have a temperature inversion.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I've been in Colorado Springs for 2 years and have never seen smog here. Maybe we should limit it to saying Denver has smog problems?

Being free of income taxes during your earnings years, especially if you are looking "for any work" doesn't save you a great deal. Now if you were making a quarter million a year it would be great, but if you are responsible and middle class, say making 40k per year, your tax burden isn't very high. Since most companies offer traditional 401k rather than roth 401k, their savings towards retirement will be tax deductible anyway. I <3 you stealth rabbit, just not sure why you harp on income taxes so much when other taxes take money also.
Lots of front range smog (Ft Collins to Castle Rock) as I flew into Denver from Tokyo this morning.

Since I daily commuted Loveland to Greeley for 10 yrs, I got to drive back into the brown cloud daily (especially with inversions)

Income tax is one of many that a person best watch.

Colorado is pretty fairly taxed, but all wage / SS income is adequately taxed at the federal level, so plan your earning yrs wisely. And try to get outside of Wage income for a sustainable future.

I made the choice to leave Colorado in 1980, due to many reasons including uncontrolled growth, political divisiveness, emissions, restrictions, property taxation of my farm / ranch / residential and commercial land and income tax.

Going to a state with no income tax WAS a bonus till I retired (no more income). Living 5 minutes from a state with no sales tax WAS a bonus during my accumulation yrs. (very few, since I'm frugal... drive a $35 car).

WY is just SO much better than CO for EDU, Services, pay, and no income tax... Colorado comes at a price (as do all desirable places, including WY).

YMMV

Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM

I'm not sure income taxes will be a problem for us, no point counting our eggs before they are hatched. Political divisiveness is everywhere. I guess none of us likes being on the losing side, that's the way I feel especially if there is no chance for discussion. If I could have my way we'd have less hate, more understanding and cooperation.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b bob View Post
I'm not sure income taxes will be a problem for us, no point counting our eggs before they are hatched. Political divisiveness is everywhere. I guess none of us likes being on the losing side, that's the way I feel especially if there is no chance for discussion. If I could have my way we'd have less hate, more understanding and cooperation.
Taxes may not be your issue, but possibly for any one of 20,000 other readers, and is especially important to those on fixed income / or high income.

There is a lot of hate in Colorado (and a disproportionate amount of school / shooting violence).
It is hard to understand why, as individuals respond very differently to stressors. CO has seen many acts of violence. (Maybe too many people expecting it to be paradise). I consider it strange for CO, as many other states have much more difficult social pressures and relationships. (east and west coast (attitudes) + rust belt (jobs / violence) and Southern states still fighting Civil War)

Political divisiveness is currently very high profile national risk to gain 'votes' in population dense counties, and Colorado is a 'targeted' battleground state from national parties (you will note the funding for campaigns is not local).

On the left coast, the political divides are well drawn, and popular vote only needs to come from 3 counties in either WA or OR to sway the entire electoral / state initiative vote. There is no need to advertise / campaign /or even poll in the remaining 40+ counties in each state. CA has it to a science as well. Colorado will become one of those states very easily. (high population density of Front Range can control vote and put CO farmers & employers out of business with regulations that don't allow them to operate or afford to have employees).

This could happen in a state near you.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM

I guess hate comes from people, not places, it's to bad it is such a handy political tool and some don't care what effect they have on our society. None can know what will happen but I am hoping the state of Colorado will make enough money on weed to go a little easier on other taxes, property taxes look lower now but that could change. I know money is important but there are more important things, you can't buy time and I'm trying to find a better way to spend what I have left I, might not, but it's worth a try.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,971,811 times
Wink If not paradise

Driving down from Horsetooth Reservoir (lying just west of Fort Collins) provides a superb view out over the town below and the eastern plains stretching to the horizon. There will be days when a brown pall of smog is plainly evident lying over town, when it may well not be obvious within. So, as with the rest of the Front Range, Fort Collins is not perfect in this regard. But largely fine, and nowhere as bad as somewhere like Salt Lake City, UT, which at times in winter can be truly perverse.

As with other Front Range locations, like Boulder, one can experience Chinook winds coming down out of the nearby mountains. But oft not an issue, and one could argue that either Boulder, or Estes Park near the high peaks of Rocky Mountain National Park, suffer this far more.

Allergens may or not be an issue, if most of the farmland in and near Fort Collins is being quickly subsumed to suburbia and a town with a lot of grass lawns and parks.

Fort Collins seems fairly well policed, or in other words with police fairly well trained, not overbearing or visible, but there when needed. If, as increasingly the greater US, spy cameras at every intersection, and as a town of about 160,000 very much in the matrix affected by social trends, good or ill.

You may wish to rent at first, if in part Colorado is not for everyone. Although Fort Collins widely considered one of the more desirable places to live in Colorado and the US. As this will also affect the important issue of employment, with many well qualified applicants vying for a relative paucity of truly well paying jobs.

It could work. Many love the town and area, which offer a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area