Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 81,774 times

Advertisements

Currently in Chicago, and I am coming to check out the Windsor area this weekend. Husband has a potential job offer coming in Greeley, and although I have been to Denver and other parts of Colorado many times, I am not familiar with the Greeley / Windsor / Fort Collins area. We are not able to live in Fort Collins b/c of job requirements, and were told Windsor is a good option.

I have checked out the other threads and found some helpful information, but would appreciate some insight into Windsor in particular.

We have two small children, and schools are important.

What is the community like? Schools? Housing? How is the drive to skiing?

I grew up on a farm, like open spaces, do not mind small towns . . . but I'm not a big fan of sprawl, McMansions, etc., and I fear that's what this area (Windsor) might be . . .

Any info would be very helpful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Cin

72 posts, read 308,436 times
Hi,
I don't yet live in the area..so hopefully someone will chime in soon. I just got back from Fort Collins visit and did talk to my realtor and a person that lives in Windsor while I was there. I was informed that it is a nice,smallish size town with decent schools. I don't know specifics as I didn't see it personally but was told it has a family friendly feel and I believe you can get a little more land for your money...which you can't get in fort collins. The few things you mentioned in your post make it sound like it might be a good fit for you...not pretentious..more rural than fort collins and smaller for sure. You will have a good feeling either way when you go see it in person..it is the only way to truly know in your heart. Don't be afraid to try and talk to people that live there. I hit a nice lady at the park and she was renting in Windsor but planning to buy in Loveland due to some real busy freeway exits(stadium or such)in and out of Windsor and I believe she wanted a bigger town. (where she worked was one of the reasons also)Best of luck!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 01:34 PM

66 posts, read 493,944 times
Hi,

Windsor is a great town of about 18,000 people. It's a short drive to Greeley, heading south of town towards Hwy 34 and then east on 24. Going west out of town on Hwy 392 to get on I25 or to go to Ft. Collins is a nightmare during the commute time. It's just a lowsy interchange that cannot handle the amount of traffic that there is now.

Schools are good and are pushing the Ft. Collins and Loveland district on test scores. There is one high school, one junior high school, and three elementary schools.

Right now, Kodak is the employing anchor for the city. A lot of people live in town and commute to their jobs. But that is pretty standard for most families along the Front Range.

Real estate in Windsor is expensive. They run neck and neck with Ft. Collins and Loveland. The most popular neighborhood is Water Valley. It is a golf course community, one 18 hole and one 9 hole course, nice pro shop and restaurant, and swimming pool. Lots of newer and older homes, prices from mid $3's to over a $1 mil. No home is on the course itself. Currently, water separates the homes from the course.

[moderator cut]
Best of luck.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-31-2006 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: No soliciting of business in the forums. Thank you.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 12,302 times
Default Windsor is wonderful

Windsor (Highland Meadows Subdivision) just to the east of the freeway is served by the Fort Collins school district and services. More desirable because of the ammenities, but not in the older higher density areas of Loveland and Fort Collins.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,834 times
Default Random question about Windsor...

I'm a new comer to this site...very informative. Anyway, a random question for all who might be able to help. I'm a dentist working in an advanced training program in the South (SC). My wife and I are both from the west and we are looking very seriously at practicing in Windsor. I've heard and read nothing but good things about the town and am thrilled that it is experiencing so much growth (contrary to the feelings of those who already live there, perhaps!).

My question is this...to the average person living/working there, does it seem like there are a lot of dentists, what you would expect to see, or not many? Do people tend to commute to Fort Collins, Loveland, or Greeley to see their dentist?

Just some questions as I contemplate some different opportunities. Thanks so much for your time and thoughts!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,326 times
My husband and I have 4 young children, and would love to see a reasonably priced dentist here! We own an Electrical Contracting business, and have to commute to Fort Collins or Greeley for a lot of things including our Dentist. I know some here want to slow the growth, but in our line of business, the more the merrier. The experiences that my friends and I have had with dentists here haven't been great. I was even charged over $300 to have one simple tooth pulled from my 7 year old. We are getting more places to shop, I hear even Wal Mart will be making an appearance. So you will soon be able to live, work, and shop here. It is a fantastic place to live. The schools are great and the people have been great too. There are a lot of things to do here including concerts in the park, a small lake for boating, tons of community activities, and some great restaurants. Please let me know if there are any other questions that you might have. I would love to help in any way that I can.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 AM

423 posts, read 1,959,570 times
I agree with Ann1975. Windsor is a great place to start a business right now. It is a booming area with lots of potential. Plus there are several smaller towns around that area that you could attract business from like Ault, Eaton, Severance, and Timnath. I really think it is all about the right price and great customer service. That is why I go to the dentist that I go to. I do not think that there is too many dentist around here. When I was looking for one I kept getting turned away because they already had too many patients. Now is the time to get here though. I am sure there are many others with the same idea as you have.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,555 times
Cool neighborhoods in Windsor

Hey There,
My wife and I are looking to move from Fort Collins to the Windsor area. (FC's getting too big for its britches and I miss small town life).
The friendliness of the neighborhood we move to is almost more important than the house we find. The neighbors can make a house feel like home (or not). We are looking for an affordable neighborhood to move to (preferably on the north/West/historic part of town (in the 180K's or so) where neighbors are friendly and look out for you, etc.
Can anyone suggest some neighborhoods for us to check out?
Thanks!

Big L.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 18,585 times
Windsor is where I purchased my first home. Nowadays it has become literally
unaffordable. Occasionally I drive through the town and see the smaller, historic
homes for sale. I would just drive in/around the neighborhoods that you are interested in
and when you find a For Sale sign, call the number.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM

108 posts, read 340,350 times
You might try Google Street View to see the town while at home. Just look up the map, and click and drag the little man icon from near the arrows and zoom tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area