Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 PM
djg djg started this thread

8 posts, read 23,942 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! We are a young family with 4 kids (36, 34, 14, 10, 8, & 8). I am officially a "professional" (not trying to sound like a jerk but this is what many years of schooling and a degree have told me - definitely don't feel that "cool"). We are laid back, enjoy nature, and are just, in general, a happy laid-back family. I can get a job anywhere so that is not the issue. The issue is: we are from Wisconsin and we LOVE the outdoorsiness of Wisconsin. But we were meant to travel and explore. That being said, tell me about Fort Collins. What's it like? What is there to do? Are there strip malls (yucks)? The housing seems affordable, the jobs (for my career) are plenty. So I guess what I want to know is: what's the atmosphere like? And how far away would we be from lakes and nature? We like lakes and nature. How are the schools? Are there "bad" areas of Fort Collins? What do I need to know that I can't discover without actually seeing it for myself (the good and the bad)? Thanks for your honest input. Trolls need not apply to this inquiry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
Strip malls? Oh yeah there are.

Lakes? There are some. Not sure if someone from your area would consider them much of a lake.

There is plenty of nature in the area.

The atmosphere is college town in parts, rural in parts, trailer park in parts, suburbia in parts.

Why would you want to leave a place you love?

Travel and exploring are what vacations are for ...

Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
If you really like lakes and are from WI, try using google Earth. The lakes are pretty small, and not quite that great. You can drive a ways to some better ones, but nothing like the great lake areas. If you are set on lakes, CO is not for you.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 PM
djg djg started this thread

8 posts, read 23,942 times
We're moving from Wisconsin because we were never meant to be here this long. We love it here but we need to venture away - one life to live We want to live in a place semi-similar but with something different (mountains, for example). We want to live in an area that feels away from everything yet is still close enough to a bigger city (within 45 minutes). We like small lakes so that's not an issue. I guess what my real question is: does Fort Collins provide a comfortable life & atmosphere? Is it pretty (in some parts)? Is there a hustle and bustle or is it more relaxed living? From the research I've done, it seems nice. I'd just like some locals opinions. And if there is a better area (a small suburb of less than 20,000) nearby, that would be good to learn about too. Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
I grew up here and I like it a lot. I have moved away twice and returned both times. Came back the last time about 17 years ago to raise my kids. It is not the perfect place, but it is home.

Many parts are pretty, especially in the summer with all of the trees leafed out. The winters are brown as often as they are white. You can be relaxed here, but some folks are hurried. Traffic issues have crept up with the growth the past several years. We are outdoorsy and enjoy the activities around here. On occasion we will go to Denver, but rarely feel the need especially given the awful traffic on I-25. You used to be able to make Denver in 45 minutes from the east edge of town, but that is not likely any more.

We are not in the mountains, but close enough to provide easy access. Downhill skiing is not easily accessible unless you can get away during the week, but many other recreational opportunities are available.

We are comfortable here and feel safe. There always seems to be something going on. We like the atmosphere.

I don't think I'd say we feel like we are away from everything. While generally friendly, I don't think we feel like a small town anymore. If you are looking for small town feel, there may be better options.

Good luck in your search!
Mike Weber

Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
a happy laid-back family. I can get a job anywhere so that is not the issue....we were meant to travel and explore.
Tho from Ft Collins area myself...(and spending a lot of time in WI for training) Why not do the obvious?

Homeschool and live / work internationally?

Worked for me and mine.

I suggest doing that for at least 3 -5 yrs, and then land in WA or HI when the 10 yr old is age 15, for free college instead of HS.

Then to WY if they want an affordable couple yrs in a great university.

Ft Collins... I would not call that very high rated for 'travel and explore'. It is suburbia and soccer mom central. Thank goodness it is close to WY, but if you can work from anywhere... certainly an Income Tax free state has advantages to 'travel and explore'.. (SD, AK, WA, WY are EZ choices for 'Explorers').

Living in the Canadian Gulf Islands was pretty good for the 'explore' portion, and being based in Asia and Europe for seeing and experiencing a different country every week. My kids learned a lot about people, history, cultures, currencies, immigration, and finance while planning and budgeting / paying our way around the world. (not fun... but always educational). They didn't seem to lose out on 'socialization' as they have been awarded community leadership service and volunteer awards & 10 yrs past College, seem to be surviving OK in the 'real' (?) world.

Cost...?? ~ nothing. Got paid to travel, and when on vacation we have used Guest hospitality homes for last 25+ yrs ($10USD / night worldwide - bed and GREAT breakfast and local advice on where to go and what to do).

During some USA time homeschooling, we always booked air on Friday and Monday, so we could get bumped.

One trip to DC we got bumped 3x in one day and took home $1440 EACH in travel credits. That lasted for several yrs of 2-12 week field trips. Company International relocation travel was first class, so kids had 100k by the time they were age 10. They continue to be world travelers on that accumulation and more.

I would definitely leave WI SOON!

Weather is just getting good in Asia right now (rainy season over, October brings PRIME time in Thailand and Neighboring countries.. and a good time to give WI a rest.) U can rent a joint on the beach for $400/ month and feed a family on $10/ day. If the kids break an arm or something, it can be tuned up for under $100. Lots of Europeans are here for their annual tune-up. (Ears, Eyes, Teeth, surgeries...) They have been coming on 'Medi-vacations' for 40+ yrs (and they often have CHEAP (or at least available) healthcare at home... much unlike the USA.

Get those kids OUT and about.
Have a blast as a family... it is a very short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
View detailed profiles of: