Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think Ft C is better choice (jobs and access to WY), only a part of town is college rentals, you don't want that anyway. 80+% of the land area you will not encounter College rentals. Being rural would be ideal for your dog (mine has never seen a leash or a fence / pen, (or the inside of a house)).

Air quality? cannot adapt to BAD,,, Colorado air has gotta be SWEET air compared to downwind NJ. (coal fired energy from Missouri River east).

altitude air... At age 27 you will be fine.
drink a ton of water, walk all the time, and in 6 months you will be ready for climbing some 14,000ft mtns

You can even pump your own fuel in Colorado (acceptable in wild west except Oregon). Not too many people get blown up. (usually only once)

Safety is not even a concern (with a 100# dog!)
Co Springs might have a few select regions in middle of city that have transients and rough renters. just don't go there (no reason to do so).

You can find nice places to rent from new friends you meet at feed store / hardware / auto parts / rural church / ... gotta get out and meet them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 10:45 PM

98 posts, read 237,669 times
Unless you live right near the college, you will absolutely not encounter burning furniture and wild parties. I have lived here for 3 years now and have seen nothing even remotely like that. As wild as I've seen is...well, nothing. We live in the south-east which is really nice and quiet. We moved here from California and the air is much cleaner, but the altitude did bother me at first. It still does when I'm pregnant (currently), but other than that it's fine. Being male and young, I don't think you'll have a problem. Fort Collins is gorgeous. There is a really nice dog park, that includes a pond, in Spring Canyon Park. There's a smaller one at Fossil Creek park. Both of those are within a few minutes drive for me. Spring Canyon park also has some neat trails to hike on. The entire city is connected by a series of trails. Fun to bike or walk on.

As far as affordable rent, what do you consider affordable? I watch the rental market closely, and my dad has 3 rentals, which I help with. Affordable can vary greatly. We consider this area to be very high for rent, but others don't. Do you want a house or apartment? If money isn't a major issue, these apartments are gorgeous: Apartments for Rent in Fort Collins, Colorado - The Trails at Timberline I would love to live there, but they are well outside of our price range.

Also, Lake Vista apartments in Loveland (right off I-25) are very convenient and gorgeous. They are on a lake, and you can walk all the way around it. When you are sitting in the hot tub, you can look out at the lake. They have a beautiful pool, fire pits, an amazing club house, and regular activities. We lived there for a few months, and I really miss it! Oh! Both also have community garden beds that you can use to have your own garden. I loved that feature! The same company owns both. Lake Vista is quieter, gorgeous, and on a lake. Trails at Timberline is gorgeous and convenient in Fort Collins. Right off a major trail, too. Both are pet friendly. Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM

130 posts, read 213,576 times
Fort collins is really expensive right now and you would be paying as much to rent as you would to own. Fort Collins is safe. There are dog parks everywhere in Fort Collins, so it is for sure dog friendly!
Boulder...I am not a fan of myself.
Colorado Springs I believe is less expensive then Fort Collins. I would guess some areas are less safer than others.
I would check out castle rock? It is south of Denver and although I do not know much about it, it is a very pretty area. Nice new homes.
It would depend on what size of area you would like to be in? That would make a difference.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 PM

13 posts, read 17,485 times
Thank u all for the genuine responses. I appreciate that!

So yeah I would love an affordable quiet nice area Something I want that I've never had in nj is more land than buildings n houses/apartment .. I would be renting.

What are the prices out there?? For what I am looking for

Also.. everyone.. I'd love your opinion on a job offering that I'm debating.... 20$/hr to work as a Sears Appliance Tech .... Is the pay acceptable for there? Does anyone have any insight on Ft Collins Sears Appliance Techs
....the company...anything would be great...any advice ...Thank you I'd advance you've all been very helpful

Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 PM

. My friends crappy two bedroom apt in Fort Collins was about 1200. So she chose to buy a few years ago. If you do chose Fort Collins, the north side is older (I myself would stay away from) There are towns like Windsor I would check into if you do get a job in Fort Collins. It is close and may be cheaper. Everyone uses Craigslist to advertise so check it out. (Stay away from Greeley, since you are wanting more safer)
20.00 to me seems low, but I don't know that market.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capo1123 View Post
... your opinion on a job offering that I'm debating.... 20$/hr to work as a Sears Appliance Tech .... Is the pay acceptable for there? Does anyone have any insight on Ft Collins Sears Appliance Techs
....the company...anything would be great...any advice ...Thank you I'd advance you've all been very helpful
$20 / hr will keep you going, hopefully you get a guarantee of 40 hrs minimum / week, as well as on-call / OT money (when working hourly, I usually made equal or more / yr in OT alone).

I would try to get into the companies mentioned before... in this post 01-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Entry wages might be $24 - $26/ hr. Full experience will be ~ $36 - $38/ hr

Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 PM

Stealthrabbit :
thanks for the comment!......I am not sure what companies you are referring to as I can find that post.. I apologize.

As u said and I concur, I feel it would get me going but feel as tho it's not quite enough. Idk... Decisions decisions lol ... Have not much time to decide either ��

Saranshay:
Thanks for the comment! ...
I felt that it was low for 5 years hvac experience and appliances also . But ..so Windsor is nice quiet? Safe? The reason why I'm big on safe and quiet is because Basically for the last 20 years I've been in the opposite! Lol

..oh and would actually be great to be in an area to meet a nice girl for once!!! Lol
Thanks for all your time everyone

Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 PM

Also... Does anyone know of Governors Park e drake rd ft Collins.. how is that neighborhood/area?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:56 AM

Aannndd... Stealth I seen what post you were referring to... My apologies... Sobered my ADD gets the best of me! Lol ... But if experienced is $36-$38/hr ...I would think 5 years experience in residential furnaces,boilers,and air conditioners... Natural gas and electric appliances(dryers,water heaters,ranges,wall ovens) and because it was major gas and electric company I responded to emergencies as well .. I made 38... So if I can get that in CO maybe I should wait to get that offer ? Or I could be waiting for a while? .. unsure of job market for either hvac.. appliances... And/or for any of Colorado's gas and electric companies that might have a service department? Ok I'll wait to hear back now...Sorry

Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo1123 View Post
Also... Does anyone know of Governors Park e drake rd ft Collins.. how is that neighborhood/area?
I think Those apts will be ok, the area is in the middle of the city. There are some low income apts across the street and older condos. But generally they would be ok.
Windsor is safe.
Just stay away from the north Fort Collins area.
Ask If you have more questions, I'll be happy to help if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area