Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,182 times

Advertisements

great question!

I personally have lived in Fort Collins 5 years and loved almost every minute of it. Right now I'm visiting Austin as I'm moving here for grad school. I've been very VERY impressed with Austin overall. It's a "large" "big" city but it doesn't feel like one....if that makes sense. Lots of people, but not crowded. I loved Fort Collins but it all becomes rather the same after 2 years or so... where as I can see Austin having more long term potential. I love both cities quite a lot...but I think I will love Austin more in the long run. (but go to FoCo for snow and small town feel, Austin for the nightlife and the small town feel but in a large city)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM

423 posts, read 1,953,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheric03 View Post
Thanks for your input. I agree about the differences in scenery (and weather) between the 2 cities, which is part of the reason for the move. I should add that in addition to finding a city in which I can go to vet school, we also have to find one where my bf can finish his training in, and obtain a job as, a helicopter pilot. There was one school about an hour and a half from Austin who's equipment leaves something to be desired (not to mentioned scared for his life), and the other just went bankrupt. As a new pilot he would have to travel to the coast for 2 weeks at a time to get a decent job. For me, although A&M is a great school, and statistically a LITTLE easier to get into, it's just not the school for me.

As far as getting in, that is always daunting, and I have to admit the avg 3.7 GPA of the 2007 incoming class at CSU is a little scary, although the avg GPA of the other schools I'm looking into aren't much better (typically 3.6), but are closer to where I'm currently at. I would be interested to know any info you may have on the info your niece received that caused her to change her mind. The possibility of getting in is definitely a big factor in whether we choose to move there or somewhere else.

Thanks again!
This is what I remember her telling me about vet school.....She said it was going to cost her more than twice as much in tuition, which is understandable because it is out of state. I have also heard that CSU is making a big push for vets who want to practice in the less populated areas and they have made that somewhat of a factor when deciding who gets in. Again that is only something that I have heard and I am not 100% sure it is a fact.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:07 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,562,518 times
Default Hot or Cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by where_to_move View Post
Hi everyone. My DH & I are finishing up our residency training (we are both doctors) & now we are trying to find a place to live.
We both actually met in Vail, working at ski school many yrs ago & always thought we wanted to get back to CO...but we have been doing our residency in Ohio & we hate the winters! I don't know what happened...but I think it is b/c it is soo gray outside all winter long & there is nothing to do in Ohio when it is cold. Perhaps, that is what is giving me a bad taste of winter right now. I remember CO being sunny in the winter, which would help.

We both love hiking & camping & going out to eat in nice restaurants.
So, right now we are choosing b/t Austin & Ft Collins
Both have great markets for our profession...so I just wanted to get anyones opionion, if you could live in either city...knowing the above about us...what do you think?
Advice from random strangers does help soo much, it gives such an unbiased opionion & we really appreciate it! THANKS
I think it comes down to weather, Austin is pretty warm/hot all year round, Colorado has all 4 seasons but you need to adapt to that 5 month winter. Austin might have more entertainment than FOCO but Denver is only an hour away. If job pay is the same it seems like it come down to weather.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoazian View Post
Which, BTW, led to very high electricity bills in the summer as did the cost of water ($200/month in the summer for water).
Your water bill will be high in Ft. Collins, too, if you have a yard. Not that high, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
This is what I remember her telling me about vet school.....She said it was going to cost her more than twice as much in tuition, which is understandable because it is out of state. I have also heard that CSU is making a big push for vets who want to practice in the less populated areas and they have made that somewhat of a factor when deciding who gets in. Again that is only something that I have heard and I am not 100% sure it is a fact.
The above does not surprise me as CSU is part of the Colorado higher ed system and that is one of their priorities. My daughter is in Physical Therapy school at the Health Sciences Center and they have to do some rural Colorado clinicals.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,461 times
I have never visited Fort Collins however I have visited Austin in the middle of summer and whew the heat. I'm from the Central Valley, CA and our summers can get to 112+ but at least it cools down a little at night, it doesn't in Austin. The other thing that bothered my hubby and I about TX was the flatness, we aren't used to that having the Sierra's around us and being able to visit in less than hour.

We did love the atmosphere in Austin as well as the people. We too are looking to move out of CA, but haven't decided just where yet.

Good luck in your hunt

Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM

20 posts, read 69,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
That is good to know. I wouldn't fall into the category of vets that want to get into less populated areas, but I am interested in pursuing an avenue in shelters/non profits, which is also one that doesn't get a lot of interest. I guess it depends on what that particular school is looking for. The admissions people straight out told us at the A&M open house that an interest in rural practice weighs towards one's favor. As far as money goes the in-state rates in CO look okay compared to TX. I would need to move there a year or so in advance and apply as an in-state resident to really be competitive anyway. Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheric03 View Post
That is good to know. I wouldn't fall into the category of vets that want to get into less populated areas, but I am interested in pursuing an avenue in shelters/non profits, which is also one that doesn't get a lot of interest. I guess it depends on what that particular school is looking for. The admissions people straight out told us at the A&M open house that an interest in rural practice weighs towards one's favor. As far as money goes the in-state rates in CO look okay compared to TX. I would need to move there a year or so in advance and apply as an in-state resident to really be competitive anyway. Thanks again!
If this is your plan, look into it carefully so you do all the right things. It's complicated. I would suggest a search on this and the Colo/Denver forums, as it has been discussed before and someone posted some links to university information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area