U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM

139 posts, read 181,259 times

Advertisements

I moved here not to long ago from Sterling, but then we ended up in Loveland, and now we're back in Greeley and possibly staying for some time. I just wanted to get others input on what there is to do in Greeley that the other cities didn't have. Anything positive to say about this town?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 PM

3,807 posts, read 5,034,087 times
From late Spring to early fall they have a weekend event every weekend of some sort. If you like performing arts, look into the performing arts center they used to draw pretty good plays and performance artists but I have not been able to go in a couple of years. There are several parks, you have some nightclubs and bars, some decent movie theaters, and good restaurants. Plus you have the Stampede every summer. Thunder Mountain and Budweiser event center are both about 20 minutes out from Greeley. Overall for a town with 60,000 they do pretty good at having activities but you are not going to have the same amount as you would in Fort Collins.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,308,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
I moved here not to long ago from Sterling, but then we ended up in Loveland, and now we're back in Greeley and possibly staying for some time. I just wanted to get others input on what there is to do in Greeley that the other cities didn't have. Anything positive to say about this town?
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainry.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 679,833 times
I went to High School there and travelled frequently back home during college. Greeley is one of those places despised by Colorado much like Pueblo often because it ISN'T one of the trendy towns in Colorado like Fort Collins or Boulder. Greeley has all normal town amenities and actually has a decent Stampede and Poudre River Trail. It isn't a great place, but it isn't as bad as people say. Also, the city is almost 100,000 and is gentrifying slightly near downtown.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 20 days ago)

15,610 posts, read 23,483,308 times
Default What?

What do I think of Greeley?
Meat packing smell.
Too stupid to allow dope sales (giving Garden City all the revenue).
Horace.
Not where I would want to live.
Bad weather.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:38 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,308,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What do I think of Greeley?
Meat packing smell.
Too stupid to allow dope sales (giving Garden City all the revenue).
Horace.
Not where I would want to live.
Bad weather.
It's also overrun with gangs

Old 01-13-2016, 11:01 AM

1,168 posts, read 800,750 times
Dave Gilmartin's book about the worst places to live in America certainly didn't do Greeley
any favors. I believe Greeley made the top ten.

The Absolutely Worst Places to Live in America: Dave Gilmartin: 9780312351519: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by Good Red Road; 01-13-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 01:08 PM

3,807 posts, read 5,034,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Dave Gilmartin's book about the worst places to live in America certainly didn't do Greeley
any favors. I believe Greeley made the top ten.

The Absolutely Worst Places to Live in America: Dave Gilmartin: 9780312351519: Amazon.com: Books
The problem is that Greeley has a much worse reputation than it actually is to live or work there from people who have likely never even been there. While the slaughter house is still on the northern end of town, the smell many complain about was from the feedlots that have sense moved away from town, and I have smelled that smell in various parts of Fort Collins and Loveland many many times. The eastern edge of town and the northern edge of town are overrun by gangs, however from about 8th ave and south of 9th street the rest of town is as safe as I ever felt in Fort Collins.

As for the weather, anybody that says the weather is bad in Greeley has no clue what they are talking about. There is a ridge along the south platte river that for some reason seems to protect Greeley, they almost always have less snow than Fort Collins, Loveland, and other towns on the other side of the ridge get. They also do not get the wind that northern Fort Collins and Wellington deal with.

I grew up just south of Greeley, I have lived and/or worked in Greeley for most of the last 20 years, and would live there right now if not for their schools being so bad (although those are slowly improving).

Old 01-31-2016, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 27,644 times
I live in Greeley now, not by choice as my daughter is going to college here. I think that makes me a good person to answer, considering I came here kicking and screaming. I live in an awesome neighborhood by Glenmere Park...older homes and very safe. I have never felt unsafe in Greeley. I know there are worse parts of the city--our crime rate is not good and the local paper keeps a lot of the reality out. I will say that there are some great places to eat--that helps--a theater downtown that serves food during the movie (Kress). It's a quirky town with far more diversity than surrounding towns, and I appreciate that. For all its kinks, I have to say, I've grown to like it. It helps to have a positive attitude and ability to see the best in things. The only time I smell anything is after the rain or snow melt, if the wind is the right direction. But I grew up in Weld County. Agriculture smell is not a big thing to me. As far as the weather, it's Colorado weather. You either love it or hate it--it's extremes. It's one of the reasons I am moving out of Colorado, and I have lived in this state since 1971. Most people like the four seasons, though. Let me know if you have any other questions. (It's not "overrun with gangs." I haven't seen any personally, but then, I know where to avoid.)

Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 AM

958 posts, read 914,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachKay View Post
I live in Greeley now, not by choice as my daughter is going to college here. I think that makes me a good person to answer, considering I came here kicking and screaming. I live in an awesome neighborhood by Glenmere Park...older homes and very safe. I have never felt unsafe in Greeley. I know there are worse parts of the city--our crime rate is not good and the local paper keeps a lot of the reality out. I will say that there are some great places to eat--that helps--a theater downtown that serves food during the movie (Kress). It's a quirky town with far more diversity than surrounding towns, and I appreciate that. For all its kinks, I have to say, I've grown to like it. It helps to have a positive attitude and ability to see the best in things. The only time I smell anything is after the rain or snow melt, if the wind is the right direction. But I grew up in Weld County. Agriculture smell is not a big thing to me. As far as the weather, it's Colorado weather. You either love it or hate it--it's extremes. It's one of the reasons I am moving out of Colorado, and I have lived in this state since 1971. Most people like the four seasons, though. Let me know if you have any other questions. (It's not "overrun with gangs." I haven't seen any personally, but then, I know where to avoid.)
I agree with this post. Greeley is a neat and very underrated place. Shh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area