Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times

Advertisements

Loveland is more and more just a major suburb of Ft. Collins anymore. Many people who live there commuter up to Ft. Collins for work. Though I think that Loveland is giving them a run for their money with all the new development of the centerra development and the huge hospital they just built as well. I also heard they are considering expanding the airport there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
Both are great towns for families. The big differences are the downtowns. Fort Collins simply has more to do in a central area, prolly because of CSU. There is a big bar scene (a good thing or bad thing depending on your temperment) and with decent music venues right downtown that attract national acts.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:33 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,845 times
Loveland has really improved over the past five years and in some ways is out doing Fort Collins. I think Loveland is more business friendly as far as taxes and incentives go, therefore we are seeing many more businesses going in there. Both Loveland and Fort Collins have good schools, and both have their good and bad neighborhoods. As far as housing goes Loveland is only about 10000.00 cheaper than Fort Collins. I would expect that gap to get smaller within the next year. I don't think you can go wrong with either city. If you are looking for a happy medium you may consider Windsor which is right between the two slightly to the east.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I have really only lived in Masonville... (about 30 yrs ago...)

but recently spent time in each.

FC is pretty 'suburbia' tho has some nice areas, seems to always be bustling and traffic backed up. I preferred the 'laid-back' drivers and less traffic of Loveland. Aggressive SUV drivers (FC) give me the chills, I don't want to be living in an oxygen tent because they RAMMED me, while they were on their cell phone, running their kids to soccer practice. I'll take my chances avoiding the senior citizens who are mailing their valentines in Loveland. Berthoud is better yet (I don't do 'stoplights')

schools / family stuff are generally pretty good in each. FC has more culture activities, but need to deal with CSU students.

For recreation, Loveland can be quick to get up to RMNP (hiking, photo) and Estes area., But FC is 20 minutes closer to WY - Yippee - (better recreation)
Loveland wins in artistic quality, the camera and hiking clubs are great, be sure to walk the statuary park at Taft and 29th before you decide, also walk around the lake and go to the Chilson Center for an afternoon. (Loveland did that right) I surely enjoyed swimming laps for $1.70 !!! at TVHS (we have to pay $10+ at the local "Y")

Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM

8 posts, read 39,105 times
Default Fort Collins-Loveland Pros and Cons

Trying to choose....any advice would be great!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 247,037 times
where are you working? Ft Collins is nice, a little out of the way of Denver though Loveland is only somewhat closer.

I think it just depends on where your life is.. either place is quite nice

Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Fort Collins is a college town and a little more congested when it comes to traffic. Loveland is up and coming and I believe is going to surpass Fort Collins in the next couple of years. This is mainly becacuse Loveland is very business friendly and there has been a lot of building in that area the past couple of years. Downtown Loveland is run down and businesses seem to struggle there. Fort Collins downtown area is very historic and beautiful. Hopefully Loveland will eventually see the potential of their downtown area and provide some incentives for improvement in that area. Both cities are very comparable and good places to live.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:43 PM

22 posts, read 61,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
Fort Collins is a college town and a little more congested when it comes to traffic. Loveland is up and coming and I believe is going to surpass Fort Collins in the next couple of years. This is mainly becacuse Loveland is very business friendly and there has been a lot of building in that area the past couple of years. Downtown Loveland is run down and businesses seem to struggle there. Fort Collins downtown area is very historic and beautiful. Hopefully Loveland will eventually see the potential of their downtown area and provide some incentives for improvement in that area. Both cities are very comparable and good places to live.

I too am looking at both cities and have chosen to start in Loveland looking for a home rather than FC. I have not see the Loveland Downtown only the large malls on 25 which are much closer than FC. Also home prices are just a little cheaper and you are not really far from downtown FC.

Tom what do you mean "run down" in Loveland, referring to the downtown area. Makes me think of boarded up buildings and no people on the street. Of course my broker made downtown Loveland sound like a spa LOL. Maybe its somewhere in between?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenspoke View Post
I too am looking at both cities and have chosen to start in Loveland looking for a home rather than FC. I have not see the Loveland Downtown only the large malls on 25 which are much closer than FC. Also home prices are just a little cheaper and you are not really far from downtown FC.

Tom what do you mean "run down" in Loveland, referring to the downtown area. Makes me think of boarded up buildings and no people on the street. Of course my broker made downtown Loveland sound like a spa LOL. Maybe its somewhere in between?
I did not mean everything is boarded up but compared to Fort Collins it is a little run down. The buildings are a hundred years old and not to many of them have been refurbished. There is so much potential there though and I think people will pick up on that soon. The housing prices are about 100000 cheaper in Loveland compared to Fort Collins right now but the gap is narrowing. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
I like Loveland (and we bought here) because I did the whole college thing a loooong time ago, don't want to repeat it. If a band or other is playing in Ft. Collins it's an easy drive. Bas Bleu theatre is close enough too.

While the "downtown" area does have a some closed up buildings the entire area from 4th St. north seems to be doing pretty well, nice restaurants, city library, galleries, coffee bars etc. And while it may be a difference without a distinction, Loveland still has more of the "small" town feel.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area