U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,985,432 times

Advertisements

Hi, Need more questions answered. If my daughter and I moved to Fort Collins or Loveland, what would be the best chance of finding a two bedroom apartment or house to rent. I also need to know in what town would the schools be better? My daughter is 12 and going into 7th grade.
Do many places except pets? We have two Yorkies, and my daughter would like to take them with us.
Do you also have low income help if needed? I am on SSD and might need some extra help in areas. I need to move out of Minnesota due to health reasons, and would like to begain a new and fresh start with our lives.
If anyone could please give any advice I would be forever grateful.
We plan on moving this summer in June no later then July. So please help with some advice. Thank you for your help. Yorkie_Mom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,280 posts, read 44,080,875 times
Either would be fine, Loveland is a bit slower paced (not a college town, and less 'suburbia') Ft Collins would offer use of public transport, more choices in apartments.

I've seen pets allowed in apt's in each town, but you will likely have to pay a non-refundable cleaning fee.

personally I'd choose Loveland in an area within walking distance to north lake park (statuary). There are apartments and duplexes on both the north and south side of lake. Also being near 'civic center' / library is good, but the areas east of there are a little 'seedy'.

Go to 'greatschools.com', and get stats on schools in both cities, but since middle school will be your req. your choices may be limited. That was not my favorite age to be a kid... Had to go to 'town school', and leave 'country school' (very difficult socially, as students went from being 'interested and engaged' in learning to being a 'disruption' to learning, homeschool can be more productive for country / farm kids) It is a GOOD time to relocate, as kids get really shuffled and many are looking for new relationships. I'd immediately get involved into activities where your daughter and yourself could find mutual friends. (gardening, photography, hiking, sports, crafts, arts, literature, adult education courses (mine did that as jr hi kids), dance classes, church groups, camping...)

I'd ask lots of questions. I've had friends in both towns who were well served by the schools, but most chose http://www.heritagefc.org/ (broken link). Tho your mileage may vary, and with limited income that is possibly not your best choice. I would never be shy about asking for 'scholarship' aid if I found the right private school.

Have a great adventure, and enjoy yourselves.
janb

Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 AM

9 posts, read 39,320 times
Default Moving to Fort Collins, renting questions

Howdy all,

I'm moving with my fiancee to Fort Collins in the beginning of August, from Alaska. We've begun the process of apartment and job hunting, but I've got a few questions I'd like to throw out there, hoping for a bit of guidance.

First, is it likely that we can find a place without physically visiting first? As in, talk with a company, fill out an application, get a lease, and then sign it the day we arrive and move in? It's possible we could get down there ahead of time if 100% necessary, but it's not the most financially enjoyable prospect.

Second, what questions should we be asking when we call to talk to about apartments? I've got a short list, but I'm not sure if there should be more to it. We've only rented once up here, and getting it was kind of an informal deal....

Some of the things I have in mind to ask currently are lease length, what utilities (if any) are included, washer/dryer availability, pet policy (what's allowed, and does a hamster count against the common "2 pets allowed", and require the huge pet fee), what options are available for internet service... Pretty basic questions, some of which are answered on the companies various websites, some of which aren't.

To summarize.. is there anything else I should be asking about when shopping for an apartment from a distance?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 AM

24 posts, read 130,595 times
Default My two cents....

Hi, understand your situation as I have been there and am doing that again. With the availability now of google earth it is great to be able to plug in a potential address and have a look at the geography surrounding your possible rental choice. If you do not have google earth find someone who does as it is a great tool for people moving before viewing (so to speak). When not being able to see a place I worry about proximity to major roads, road noise and any construction currently going on or planned for the immediate future. We have children so those things for us are important, although no one I'm sure wants traffic in their ears while trying to fall asleep!! Sounds like you have pets so maybe parks where they can run if it is a dog. From my experience having pets is what limits your choice of rentals. Some houses just do not want them and the same with apartments. Good Luck with the move and wish you all the best in your new city.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 AM

601 posts, read 1,368,584 times
I am in FC - I will PM you about a apt complex with a very liberal pet policy, if you are interested. And I wouldn't worry about finding a place - FC has a very high vacancy rate for rentals right now.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 AM

22,631 posts, read 41,505,336 times
What rya700 alludes to is that college in FC is out for the summer and a lot of vacancies are now available.

Google on rentals and you'll find sites where people rate apartments, may help, also a ton of websites that refer you to rentals

Use Search this Forum to find info, put in a key word to find what you want, lots already here, including some rental info for FC.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM

601 posts, read 1,368,584 times
nhatfield,

apparently you don't have the 'pm' feature but the complex I am talking about is Fort Collins Colorado Apartments - Home - Ramblewood Apartments. i don't exactly know what you are looking for, this place is liveable but definately not anything upscale and there are several units with washer/dryer hookups. Like I said, they do allow most pets which is why alot of tenants live here, for example my neighbor has 2 huskys - not many apartments would allow that!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,838,950 times
I know of several low income housing complexes in Ft Collins. Two that I believe allow pets are Buffalo Run apartments off of Vine/Timberline, and the other is off of Vermont and Timberline (I can not remember the name of this one, sorry). The second one is within walking distance of the high school. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,523 times
Default FC apartments

I'm moving to FC this summer to attend CSU. Can anyone advise of nice, affordable apartments in the area? I'd like walking or biking distance to campus... probably no more than $700/month. I am not an 18 year old undergrad willing to live in anything cheap - I will be a grad student and I would like a nice place, and something quiet but still close to campus, grocery, coffee shops, etc. I have looked online but I'd like some firsthand opinions. Any suggestions??
Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM

38 posts, read 134,876 times
check out craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums for rentals......there are quite a few postings in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area