Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM

36 posts, read 66,404 times

Advertisements

Like many, I relocated back to CO and decided to live in Loveland this time around as I has always thought it was an artists town. What I didn't expect was the plethora of homeless and rednecks; trucks driving fast everywhere running over poor animals in the streets (this is constant, squished little ones everywhere), a train that goes by 24/7, every 1.5-2 hours blaring its horn, funky loud neighbors, oddly a lot of deaths and just plain old hicksville. For some reason I thought because this is "progressive" colorado it would be better, not so.

The best thing about Loveland: close to foothills with several nice hiking trails, view of the mountains, the local library and their staff, little lower cost for housing, and well, thats it for me as really nothing is happening here and it's too far to denver. Sure there is a handful of artists and people with money, and most folks are friendly overall in colorado, but I'm moving from here and out of state. I can't stand my neighbors, the funkiness, the high cost of living and greedy landlords, the disregard for animals etc. IMHO. Good luck all.

Last edited by mischasmuse; 04-21-2017 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times
"Progressive" Colorado only really exists in Denver, Boulder, and a partially in Fort Collins and Pueblo. There is no real artist town in Northern Colorado, as much people in downtown Denver and around the country want to pretend that Colorado is a whole state with a culture similar to what you find in Northern California or Portland, it is just not reality in most of the state.

Colorado was built on farming, ranching, mining, and oil and gas. Once you start spending time away from the liberal city centers it becomes obvious that those industries are still very much alive throughout the state and have a create a very different culture in the rest of the state.

Many of us are very happy with the culture in the rest of the state, and actually like it much more than the fake progressive crap I find in places like downtown Denver, but it is not for everybody.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM

10,982 posts, read 7,064,692 times
Though I live next door to Loveland, I go through there daily, occasionally do business there, and know several people who live there. Sometimes it can offer a good alternative to Fort Collins (better deals, better service, faster turnaround).

But I know what you mean. The way the town is described in ads, online, and in relocation magazines, you'd think it was an artist mecca, filled with a likewise residency. Instead, it is as you depict.

Of course, it's not a horrible place, and does have some nice aspects, but it's not like the PR image. I doubt it's intentionally depicted that way. My guess is that those ads are put together by people who've lived in Loveland their entire lives, have created that image in their minds, and have nothing to compare to as others from other locations naturally would.

I still occasionally think of the image I had of the town prior to relocating to this area, and I get a chuckle (not due to the town, but that I fell for the PR spin). In all fairness, I have issues with Fort Collins as well, in other ways.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-21-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,362,124 times
Which makes a great advertisement for researching a place before simply moving there on simplistic impression or outdated information.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischasmuse View Post
Like many, I relocated back to CO and decided to live in Loveland this time around .... and well, thats it for me as really nothing is happening here and it's too far to denver. Sure there is a handful of artists and people with money, and most folks are friendly overall in colorado, but I'm moving from here and out of state. I can't stand my neighbors, the funkiness, the high cost of living and greedy landlords, the disregard for animals etc. IMHO. Good luck all.
Yes... OP might have made a choice that did not fit their criteria,

When hunting for a new place:
  1. Llive / stay with locals every time you are there for research. (Housesit for a few months)
  2. Attend events / interests groups you will join after moving
  3. Interview the planning dept, assessor, schools / places you will do business
  4. Visit during the worst seasons
  5. Use a weighted spreadsheet to assess your MUSTS
  6. Carefully run a cost analysis with 2 - 5 - 10 yr projections (including selling / relocation fees)
  7. Interview neighbors police / fire
  8. Rent in a neighborhood you will likely live
  9. Have realistic expectations.
  10. Have a "plan B' / exit plan (and keep money set aside to implement that plan)

Being as far from Denver as possible might be a great plan for many who 'dream' of their Colorado they desire. Loveland is much too close to Denver to suit me. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area